It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Justice Scalia Dies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

It will be interesting to see...in this contentious election year, if Republicans will roll over for for Obama, yet again,....or hold firm to guarantee a fair, balanced and qualified appointee.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Hillary said Obama would make a great Supreme Court Justice.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
one quick question i cant seem to find on google,what happens if there is not a quroum in the supreme court>? can they rule on anything with out a full 9 justices? or do they have to wait for a new one to be apointed to hear new cases......as if thats the case this could be HUGE for the current election and make it much more complex

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Wouldn't that be something? Obama nominates judges that he knows won't be confirmed. Obama endorses Hillary, Hillary wins, and Obama ends up on the SCOTUS for the rest of his life.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

This is entirely too plausible.

This truly does add one hell of a wrinkle to everything in the election and gives a huge boost to distractability.
edit on 13-2-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
one quick question i cant seem to find on google,what happens if there is not a quroum in the supreme court>? can they rule on anything with out a full 9 justices? or do they have to wait for a new one to be apointed to hear new cases......as if thats the case this could be HUGE for the current election and make it much more complex

Hmmmm. That's a good question. I really don't know. Scalia was the uber-Conservative on the Supreme Court as well. It's going to make things fraught at best. Let's see what happens.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

No, more like implausible. That would mean a vacancy on the SC for almost a year. That's never happened before and would be impractical, as there would be too much danger of gridlock.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Wouldn't that be something? Obama nominates judges that he knows won't be confirmed. Obama endorses Hillary, Hillary wins, and Obama ends up on the SCOTUS for the rest of his life.

You think if congress rejects Obama's referrals that they will magically accept him when Hillary refers Obama?

You guys are ludicrous.
edit on 13-2-2016 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I hope you're right, but I'm a bit too jaded and cynical to think that way initially.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

i guess they need a MINIMUM of 6 for a ruling www.law.cornell.edu... so they can stay open as long as they have 6 left of the 9

link   

I hope you're right, but I'm a bit too jaded and cynical to think that way initially.

The law is the law and needs to move on, to evolve. Not even the GOP can persuade people that gridlock - in this case - is a good thing.

link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I see sooo much "I don't play partisan politics, I think for myself" on here, and the minute a SCJ dies it just flushes down the toilet and we see "oh crap! the partisan (conservative) balance on the court is in trouble!"

The Supreme court should be above that, and I think Chief Justice Roberts proved that to be possible in the last few years. At any rate, I didn't care much for the man or his views all the time. But it is still a man that died. And he wasn't a schmuck to get to where he got, so may he RIP.

And may we NOT drag this out for a year under the "just don't let Obama have a WIN!" excuse. Hopefully he will nominate a moderate, intelligent voice (no matter which way people think they "lean") and we can be back to full power in the SC soon.

link   
If the Supreme Court is deadlocked, the lower court rulings stand as is.

No precedent set either.

It happens when one Justice recuses.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Kennedy (1936), Ginsberg (1933), & Breyer (1938) were all born in the 1930's...so the next President will probably be responsible for at least two additional appointees.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Too bad that someone died. . . . . . . . .

Let the games begin!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

No, more like implausible. That would mean a vacancy on the SC for almost a year. That's never happened before and would be impractical, as there would be too much danger of gridlock.

I can't see how the Democrats would see this as a disadvantage. If gridlock did occur that means that there won't be a Supreme Court decision as a precedent, meaning that having a future SCOTUS revisit that issue would be almost assured. With a Democrat majority in the future, a favorable decision is more than likely.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
He was only 79, that's no age for a person of his class.

Bumped off to give Obama a pick.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
just by looking at his record, i have to say i dont agree with him on most issues. i wont miss him, condolences to his family, he lived a full life.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
thinkprogress.org... / this didnt take long and im sure most on ats saw it coming

Scalia’s unexpected passing sets up a politically charged battle to replace him. Mere moments after his death was confirmed, Conn Carroll, a key staffer for Senator Mike Lee (R-UT), promised Republicans would block anyone that Obama nominated.

www.bustle.com... if i had to guess its the next president not the sitting one that will fill the slot ,obama could even throw every one for a loop and refuse to appoint one and decide to let his successor do it

i guess the longest it has ever taken to re appoint one was 120 days

edit on 13-2-2016 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

BREAKING: Supreme Court Justice Scalia Dies

May God have mercy upon him and offer peace upon his family.

Next up? HeII on earth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join