It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traveling at light speed: would you percieve slower time or just be effected by it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
They say if you travel at light speed for a year and come back, 10 years will have passed on Earth (or something like that). Would I perceive 10 years or one? I realize traveling at high speed slows time in relation to atoms and our environment and I would age slower than people on Earth. Would that also change our perception of how much time passed or would it "feel" like 10 years.

I think there could be a difference and it might just feel like 10 years even though I age slower...Anyone know?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

It would kill you within minutes.
In theory, (if it didn't) you would age the same.
1 light year = 10 human years
20 human years = 2 light years.

You would age naturally but wouldn't look like you did, even though you're 30 years old (if you traveled at 10 years old).
IMO

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I think there could be a difference and it might just feel like 10 years even though I age slower

It would feel like ten years. You would not age slower.
Time is relative, for you time would pass at a normal rate but you would "see" time passing faster on Earth. If you never returned to Earth, you would never know the difference.

edit on 2/13/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Have you ever watched the movie "Interstellar"? I recommend you watch it. Not sure if their math they use to calculate this theory is right at all...but their hypothetical theory suggests each galaxy, each planet, etc...years measured on a planet to time in space is affected by some sort of gravity and rotation of a planet.

For example:
The Science of 'Interstellar' Explained (Infographic)f
www.space.com...

Mind you they are using black holes as a reference point for their equations. So this would change the subject slightly with reference through normal space trips and travelling at just the one speed of light in space.

edit on 13-2-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Like Phage said, time is relative to the observer. For you time would pass normally, you wouldn't be aware of the time dilation.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Like Phage said, time is relative to the observer. For you time would pass normally, you wouldn't be aware of the time dilation.

Maybe,
but who is travelling? you in the spaceship or your twin on earth?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I too am finding it difficult to comprehend time at varying degrees of speed. But, I do know there's a paradox which occurs which basically allows the observer going at the speed of light experience time like 'normal' and the person not going at the speed of light also experience time like 'normal'.

This is because there is no "absolute time" in the universe, and it doesn't matter how fast you're moving, you will experience your own time as you experience it now.

The concept you're having difficulty with is the "Twin Paradox". You can read more about it here

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

Both? At different speeds?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You are. You left the frame of reference of your twin.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Its all about perspective buddy, time is simply relative.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I think there could be a difference and it might just feel like 10 years even though I age slower

Time is relative, for you time would pass at a normal rate but you would "see" time passing faster on Earth. If you never returned to Earth, you would never know the difference.

I thought it would seem to age you slower?

I thought that traveling something like 2 years near the speed of light would be the same as 30 years here on Earth, and that the person traveling at the speed of light experiences 2 years vs 30, including age. Isn't that what the Twin Paradox is?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Yes. To the twin on Earth it would seem that way.
To the twin on the ship, it would seem that the one on Earth aged faster. Same thing. Relatively.

Outside of a given frame of reference, time is relative. Not really a paradox though.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

To your twin it would, to you it would be life as usual. Time is relative to the observer.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So the universe is static?
No really, the frame of reference is pointed to an x,y,z configuration. How can you possibly know if the coordinates are constantly changing?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

So the universe is static?
No.

No really, the frame of reference is pointed to an x,y,z configuration. How can you possibly know if the coordinates are constantly changing?
Doesn't matter. If you leave any particular frame of reference you have traveled from it, its motion is not relevant. Relative to Earth (your original frame of reference), you have departed and are traveling.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Yes. To the twin on Earth it would seem that way.
To the twin on the ship, it would seem that the one on Earth aged faster. Same thing. Relatively.

Outside of a given frame of reference, time is relative. Not really a paradox though.

That's what I thought. However, in your first
Post you stated "it would feel like 10 years, you would not age slower"

Did you miss-type something or am I just not understanding what you meant?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I typed what I meant so apparently it would be the latter.

The rate of time for the person on the ship would not change.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

originally posted by: Vector99

Maybe,

The way to work it out is who accelerated. Since the spaceship had to accelerate to reach the higher speed it's time will be slower......as seen from Earth.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
To put it simply, we don't know what an accelerated speed would look like, but we do know that acceleration slows down time. We have measured this phenomena with satellites and have mapped it to a specific calculation. Well, actually it was Einstein, we just proved him right,

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I agree to disagree...on the theory that a space traveler travelling at any speed [below or at the speed of light or even in the superluminal realm] will "see time passing faster on Earth" or anywhere else --- Time is time for everyone in the universe --- Nobody is going to get around it --- IMHO --- or at least not until this questionable theory is proven as fact or fiction.
edit on 13-2-2016 by Erno86 because: deleted a word

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join