It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Dollar Near 7-Week High Versus Euro

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The dollar held its ground against the Euro, showing the strongest level in 7 weeks. Stock markets gained ground ahead of earning reports from tech companies Intel and Samsung Electronics. Oil prices were down about $10 dollars a barrel but edged up after storms hit several parts of the US, causing a greater demand for oil.

story.news.yahoo.com
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - The dollar held steady near its strongest level in seven weeks against the euro on Monday, while stock markets edged higher ahead of earnings reports from tech leaders Intel and Samsung Electronics.

Oil, which has fallen about $10 from record highs in October, edged up to $45.56 a barrel after storms in the U.S. mid-Atlantic and West Coast boosted demand for fuel.

The dollar held near gains made after U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow said at the weekend the Bush administration supported a strong U.S. currency and wanted to cut the budget deficit, though trade was thinned by a holiday in Japan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's good to see the dollar is holding ground against the Euro. The euro is about $1.3068 versus the dollar, compared with $1.3051, its lowest level since Nov. 23 at $1.3023. Oil prices need to stay down so lets hope these crazy storms in the US are almost over.

[edit on 9-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Just ran across this:
Update 3: Euro Hits 13 Month Low Against Dollar

Question:
Where are all those who jumped on the Euro bandwagon?
Comments? Thoughts?

seekerof

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
why couldnt the Dollar have been 'this strong' when I visited the US. I could have got a lot more money for my Pound!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by soapydodger
why couldnt the Dollar have been 'this strong' when I visited the US. I could have got a lot more money for my Pound!!!

If you are implying that the dollar was weaker relative to the pound during your trip, then you did get more dollar for your pound.

I just lost $693 in two weeks thanks to the dollar gaining on the yen. Lucky me.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality

Originally posted by soapydodger

If you are implying that the dollar was weaker relative to the pound during your trip, then you did get more dollar for your pound.

I just lost $693 in two weeks thanks to the dollar gaining on the yen. Lucky me.

Thats just horrible. I remember one time I was talkingto an Austrailian tourist in Glasgow city centre and we went into a shop to buy chewing gum. 40 pence it cost and Im thinking,"That about one Australian Dollar" So I paid for it cause I thought they were getting bumped.

It must be horrible going on holiday somewhere and thinking that you are losing money when you transfer currency.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
What's worse is working overseas with every intent on bringing your savings back. You are constantly faced with the dilemma of when is the best time to transfer your savings. When I arrived in Japan, the rate was 134:1, went down to 103:1, and is now at 111:1. On a $20,000US savings, the price fluctuations--based on the current rate--look like this: $24,144~$18,558. That's an incredible amount of unavoidable risk.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
That sounds all a little too much of a gamble for me. One of my mates is Polish and works here in Scotland. He says its great because when he transfers the money from pounds to whatever they have in Poland he'll be a little richer.

Sort of reminds me of the question, "which country is it best to win Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"

new topics

top topics

join