It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceberg the Size of Rome Kills 150,000 Penguins

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: gortex

On a brighter note a colony just 8 km away are unaffected and seem to be thriving which begs the question why doesn't this colony move , I guess they either can't or won't because that is their home.

Nesting and migration are powerful instincts.

The really, really stubborn ones that survive long enough will probably trickle over to the other colony.

Or maybe 150000 of them already did......

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Well it seems there may be some good news...

Co-author Chris Fogwill, of the UNSW Climate Change Research Centre, said there was some good news for the colony. "Over the last year the fast ice associated with B09B has begun to break up in Commonwealth Bay," he said.

www.smh.com.au... l

There may still be hope for them.

It's a shame that this happened to such interesting animals.

Having trouble getting the link to work.
edit on 13-2-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Having trouble getting the link to work.

Thanks for the link mate , found an alternative with a video of the penguins .

newsroom.unsw.edu.au...

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Key takeaways:

• The city of Rome has become a unit of measurement.

• Despite global warming and climate change, the non-existent polar ice caps can kill.

• If someone had given those penguins copies of "Who Moved My Cheese?" they would still be alive.

• Penguins are still nature's best dressed comedians.

edit on 2/13/2016 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Creatures of habit without reasoning are usually the first to go when TSHTF.

That would be one heck of a walk for any creature...!

Idk, humans have pretty good powers of reason & yet we poison ourselves & the earth on a daily basis with no foreseeable end in sight. The Penguins may not be able to reason away their plight but at least they didn't do it to themselves & pretend everything is alright.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just incase anyone wanted a laugh about penguins

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Thanks for the link mate , found an alternative with a video of the penguins .

Saw the video...it tugs at the heart a bit knowing these animals can't do anything to change this situation.

And your welcome.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Mirthful Me

If someone had given those penguins copies of "Who Moved My Cheese?" they would still be alive.

Only the one's that could read it.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

So in 6 years...150,000 penguins died...and in 20 years around 10,000 will die in this same scenario??? How does math work?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

He says within 20 years which I guess means anytime between now and 20 years time , I don't know how they came to that figure.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

He says within 20 years which I guess means anytime between now and 20 years time , I don't know how they came to that figure.

I believe probably that an iceberg floated there...I don't believe the math of these so-called scientists...maybe it had no effect to begin with...and maybe it had something to do with a pole shift and changes in migration pattern which changes the location of food sources.

There are more things that determine how a species thrives or dies...but this is not a cataclysmic event that would wipe out an entire colony...maybe Darwin can add clues to see how the penguins will survive..even though his research focuses more on diversity. Maybe Penguins will have to start flying??? lol

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

Humanities ever-present potential of unleashing radioactive fallout kinda dwarfs all other natural disasters imo.
A interesting comparative study between the two bombs on Japan during WW2 and the tsunami from the earth quake could give some interesting results . Put it into people $$$ and radiation ....they both share some of the same effects . short and long term .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join