It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceberg the Size of Rome Kills 150,000 Penguins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The Adelie penguins live at Cape Denison in Antarctica where their colony had access to open water to feed until 2010 when iceberg B09B which had been floating around in the area for the last 20 years crashed into their glacier cutting off access the their feeding ground , they have been landlocked by a chunk of ice researchers say is the size of Rome.

Since then the penguins have been faced with a round trip of 120 km to hunt for food which for a human would be an arduous journey but for the penguins on their short stumpy legs has proved fatal , researchers say the colony used to number some 160,000 penguins has now shrunk to around 10,000.

The only hope for the remaining members of the group is that the berg frees itself or breaks up but scientist say the colony has less than 20 years before total collapse if the situation continues.

Penguins seeking food must now waddle 60km to the coast to fish. Over the years, the arduous journey has had a devastating effect on the size of the colony.

Since 2011 the colony of 160,000 penguins has shrunk to just 10,000, according to research carried out by the Climate Change Research Centre at Australia’s University of New South Wales. Scientists predict the colony will be gone in 20 years unless the sea ice breaks up or the giant iceberg, dubbed B09B, is dislodged.
Penguins have been recorded in the area for more than 100 years. But the outlook for the penguins remaining at Cape Denison is dire.
www.theguardian.com...

On a brighter note a colony just 8 km away are unaffected and seem to be thriving which begs the question why doesn't this colony move , I guess they either can't or won't because that is their home.
Kinda puts our petty squabbles and troubles into perspective , how lucky we are.

edit on 13-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

On a brighter note a colony just 8 km away are unaffected and seem to be thriving which begs the question why doesn't this colony move , I guess they either can't or won't because that is their home.

Nesting and migration are powerful instincts.

The really, really stubborn ones that survive long enough will probably trickle over to the other colony.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Creatures of habit without reasoning are usually the first to go when TSHTF.

That would be one heck of a walk for any creature...!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

If an earthquake struck your city, dropping overpasses and making roads impassible and you were stuck at work, you'd try and make it home, too.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Funny whomever chose to equate the size of the berg to be equivalent to the size of Rome.. Out of all the places to pick to compare and they chose Rome? Coincidence?

Guy #1) After all it was the Jews that did the Titanic in..

Guy #2) "No numbskull, that was an Iceberg..."

Guy #1) Iceberg, Goldberg, they're all the same to Me..

Now is it Rome Georgia? Even if it is Rome Georgia, bring a coat or at least hoody (if the cops don't shoot You) because We are experiencing a cold front...

Have a nice Saturday.

Shalom
namaste

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

If an earthquake struck your city, dropping overpasses and making roads impassible and you were stuck at work, you'd try and make it home, too.

and your point is ? First I don't work.. Reired very well thank you.. Second if all that happened I would use my brains and figure out what I needed to do to survive or reach loved ones who need me to be there.. Birds have nesting grounds.. Many a bird has died because the nesting grounds have been disturbed or the food source in that area ran out.. You do not have to look any further than the die offs in Alaska:

Scientists think Gulf of Alaska seabird die-off is biggest ever recorded
Yereth Rosen|Alaska Dispatch News|

January 29, 2016
They are starving to death...

Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge: “We are in the midst of perhaps the largest murre die-off ever recorded”… [In Homer] the beaches are “littered” with murre carcasses… A breeding colony in the Barren Islands that is usually teeming in late summer with adult murres tending their young was deserted this year… “nobody was home… In more than three decades of monitoring murres in the Barrens, we’ve never had complete reproduction failure before“… Similar failures occurred at some other nesting colonies.

www.adn.com...
www.adn.com...
www.adn.com...
Sea Otter deaths www.adn.com...

Welcome to mother Earth

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Sorry, I was agreeing with you, to a point.

Any critter making it to maturity, migrating and nesting is successful, has good reasoning.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

a reply to: 727Sky

Sorry, I was agreeing with you, to a point.

Any critter making it to maturity, migrating and nesting is successful, has good reasoning.

Oh thanks for the reply.. Hard to tell sometimes with typed responses.. hahahah Carry on etc etc
edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
We should use our ingenuity and love of blowing things up to find a scientific way to set off an underwater explosive that would leave the surface unharmed but set the glacier on a slow sliding path.

If there is anything we as humans are good at, it's blowing things up how we want them to blow up.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Actually, a smart human would declare it was time to move out of California and back to the plains states.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The first rule of survival in a crises is use you head and think outside the box. How are you going to teach that lesion to a bird that can't even fly.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
sorry double post
edit on 13-2-2016 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Actually, a smart human would declare it was time to move out of California and back to the plains states.

Tornados, floods, blizzards, golf ball sized hail?

Thanks, I prefer 300 day a year balmy weather, no ice… shaken, but not stirred.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Kinda puts our petty squabbles and troubles into perspective , how lucky we are.

I dunno man....

Humanities ever-present potential of unleashing radioactive fallout kinda dwarfs all other natural disasters imo.
edit on 2016-02-13T08:08:45-06:00201602bam2902am4529 by combatmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Sigh......no it doesn't, and a lot of people aren't.

Everytime a story concerning animals is posted you just know someone will make a comment about how "us humans can learn from them" or some drivel like that.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DutchMasterChief

The comment was more aimed toward our troubles are mainly of our own making , we are lucky to be what we are but some people seem to lose sight of that , sigh if you must.

Everytime a story concerning animals is posted you just know someone will make a comment about how "us humans can learn from them" or some drivel like that.

They're facing catastrophe , we're facing catastrophe , what can we learn.

edit on 13-2-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

The comment was more aimed toward our troubles are mainly of our own making ,

So you admit it has absolutely nothing to do with the fate of a colony of penguins.

we are lucky that we are who or what we are but some people seem to lose sight of that , sigh if you must.

Nothing to do with this colony of penguins. Drivel I tell you.

They're facing catastrophe , we're facing catastrophe , what can we learn.

*Facepalm*. Nothing. There is nothing that we can learn from this. Isn't that the point I just made in that quote? Lol.

edit on 13-2-2016 by DutchMasterChief because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
no we are not going to save them. no this is not some life lesson.
6 million deer are taken during hunting season in the US. I could care less about about 10K water birds.

The fact that a colony of 160k exist is amazing. They must of had it really good.

Nature happens.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DutchMasterChief

So you admit it has absolutely nothing to do with the fate of a colony of penguins.

I didn't say it did , these things happen I am just highlighting it not apportioning blame.

Nothing to do with this colony of penguins. Drivel I tell you.

If you say so.

*Facepalm*. Nothing. There is nothing that we can learn from this. Isn't that the point I just made in that quote? Lol.

It was rhetorical.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I didn't say it did , these things happen I am just highlighting it not apportioning blame.

You were comparing penguin problems wih human problems, for some reason.

If you say so.

Damn right.

It was rhetorical.

Ok, so if you also feel that nothing can be learned here, then how does this situation put things in perspective for us humans, like you said?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join