It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100 fine for smoking in car carrying kids proposed in Virginia legislature

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Does anyone really believe this law is about the children? It's just another form of revenue and control.

"The best government is that which governs least." Thomas Jefferson

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

originally posted by: DAVID64
Yes please! Let's have more laws and more programs that invade and control my life. Any reason is ok, I just want state and local government to be able to fine and harass me for more things.
What I do around my kids is my fuc**ing business and I don't need you bleeding heart "It's for the children" drones to tell me what I can and can't do. If you like government running your lives, move to North Korea, otherwise, stay out of my life.
And no, it's not child abuse like I'm sure some of you will say. You still say it's putting them in danger? How about Mommy doesn'r drive and talk on the phone. How about Daddy doesn't speed and curse at people that make him mad.
Jesus. Stay Out Of My Life and stop being so sure you're so perfect that you can tell others what they're doing is wrong.

What a sick outlook on life as a parent. The hell with the kids as long as you can feed your addiction, right?

It is this sick attitude why there is second hand smoke deaths....

What is the saying here at ATS?

DENY IGNORANCE......

Ok, I'll deny ignorance....

How about get the pig to make the parent give the kid who suffered the second hand smoke the loot/fine.

To me, it's ignorant to pay a fine to someone who wasn't involved.

Example:
NFL fines a player who makes an illegal hit. The NFL gets the loot. The player who took the hit, gets the pain.

I could go on.

I'm not a smoker, I don't have to worry.

Again....

"F××K tha police!"

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Drivers caught smoking in cars carrying children 7-years-old or younger could soon get slapped with a $100 fine in Virginia if they’re pulled over by authorities.

The Virginia House of Delegates passed a bill this week that would let cops fine people who have been stopped. The money collected from the fines would go directly to help fund literacy efforts in the state. If approved, Virginia - home to tobacco giant Phillip Morris – would join several other states in banning second-hand smoke in vehicles.

Bill sponsor Del. Todd Pillion, a Republican pediatric dentist from southwest Virginia, said he pitched the bill after he noticed children coming into his practice stinking of smoke. “And in a very tight, enclosed space in a car, it’s even worse,” Pillion said in an interview with The Richmond Times-Dispatch.

www.foxnews.com...

I am surprised to see logic being used in the government. This law should be a world wide law in my opinion and the fine should be a munimum of $1,000.00 for first offense and jail for multiple offenders. Second hand smoke is a known killer and parents have been blowing smoke into their children lungs for decades and are then confused when the child dies from cancer.

In children, secondhand smoke causes the following:

Ear infections
More frequent and severe asthma attacks
Respiratory symptoms (for example, coughing, sneezing, and shortness of breath)
Respiratory infections (bronchitis and pneumonia)
A greater risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has estimated that secondhand smoke causes about 49,000 deaths annually. The data supporting this, however, rely primarily on self-reporting to gauge secondhand smoke exposure, which many researchers consider unreliable.

Lets consider the risk to our children before we light up. Smoking inside your vehicle and your home also leaves smoke residue and now your infant puts its toy in their mouth.....

Think about it.....smoking cause damages not only to you but to your loved ones.

$1000 bux????
Jail???

I'm glad your opinion and I don't hang out more often.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Yes please! Let's have more laws and more programs that invade and control my life. Any reason is ok, I just want state and local government to be able to fine and harass me for more things.
What I do around my kids is my fuc**ing business and I don't need you bleeding heart "It's for the children" drones to tell me what I can and can't do. If you like government running your lives, move to North Korea, otherwise, stay out of my life.
And no, it's not child abuse like I'm sure some of you will say. You still say it's putting them in danger? How about Mommy doesn'r drive and talk on the phone. How about Daddy doesn't speed and curse at people that make him mad.
Jesus. Stay Out Of My Life and stop being so sure you're so perfect that you can tell others what they're doing is wrong.

What a sick outlook on life as a parent. The hell with the kids as long as you can feed your addiction, right?

It is this sick attitude why there is second hand smoke deaths....

What is the saying here at ATS?

DENY IGNORANCE......

The hell with liberty, when the government can think for you and fine you into homelessness so some bleeding hearts can feel good about them selves, right?

Can I get an amen?!!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

a reply to: Vector99

And the other cars on the highway emitting exhaust? Do you believe cars are air tight? That none of that is getting in?

Air conditioner have filters that filter the air........

You did not know that did you.

Dude.....
Are you F××kn high!?!?

While traveling, windows up, AC/Heat on, have you ever smelled skunk?

Don't be foolish.
"DENY THE GOTDAMN IGNORANCE"
edit on R2016am13C2016000000Sat, 13 Feb 2016 10:10:30 -060030America/Chicago by RoadCourse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: Hex1an
Yet at the same time the Car exhaust smokes like a chimney.

Outside of the car

Causing smog and hot air and global warming and, inevitably......Al Gore.
edit on 13-2-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: Hex1an
Yet at the same time the Car exhaust smokes like a chimney.

Outside of the car

Causing smog and hot air and global warming and, inevitably......Al Gore.

And that thing we can never speak of....ManBearPig

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Second hand smoke is a known killer and parents have been blowing smoke into their children lungs for decades and are then confused when the child dies from cancer.

Smoking uptake is declining worldwide and yet cancers are increasing - before you say its because of better detection methods for cancer, consider this...they will never ban tobacco consumption completely; they need the tobacco bogeyman, people may wake up to the other crap they push into food or drinks.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Not nearly as much as a cigarette right next to the passenger.

Multiply the litres of CO and other pollutants by the number of cars you pass each day and tell me its less than a cigarette.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

We aren't putting people on the side of the highway and saying breathe....it's a fine to keep adults from smoking in the car with their kids. How is that bad?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

We aren't putting people on the side of the highway and saying breathe....it's a fine to keep adults from smoking in the car with their kids. How is that bad?

Because the government doesn't have a right to micro manage all aspects of citizens life, under threat of fines.

This is nothing but another BS way to generate revenue off of citizens, and further control perfectly legal activities.

Too much candy is bad for kids, how about a limit and $100 fine for any parent that gives their child more than that amount?

Playing sports could cause serious injuries to a child, how about a $100 fine for any parent that allows their kids to play sports?

Swimming could be lethal to a child, how about a $100 fine for any parent that lets their child swim?

See the issue here?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Can we smoke with the windows open?
How about convertibles?
Motorcycles?
How about get your nose out of others lives ............
If people want to fix things theres lots to fix besides your neighbour...
Funny I don't see a lot of volunteers out picking up litter......

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Just another reason for police to stop you.

What's next? Driving with a bad hair cut?

Smoking with kids is stupid. Driving without a seatbelt is stupid.

But we don't need nanny-state laws telling us that it is stupid.

What's the next law? Cops going into homes to make sure you aren't smoking in a room with your children?

Police-state bull!
edit on 13-2-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

I'll put it this way, I wish there was a law that kept my mom from smoking in the car when I was a kid.

It shouldn't have to be a law, but well if it's not people will do it.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Yell that to every driver you see doing either. You will yell a lot if you drive for more than 30 minutes a day.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Yell that to every driver you see doing either. You will yell a lot if you drive for more than 30 minutes a day.

People will do stupid things.

It's not up to me to judge them or anyone.

I hate the nanny-state and nosy bastards.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I have a very similar mindset, but I have to ask, what would you do if you saw a dog locked in a car on a hot day?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

I have a very similar mindset, but I have to ask, what would you do if you saw a dog locked in a car on a hot day?

Dunno, honestly.

I'm not one to break or damage property on a whim.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Sargeras

I'll put it this way, I wish there was a law that kept my mom from smoking in the car when I was a kid.

It shouldn't have to be a law, but well if it's not people will do it.

I wish there was a law against people that think they have a right to micromanage others lives.

Should you get fined $100 for it?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

More laws are required when people don't have common sense. I will agree with laws that protect kids when the parents fail at it...
Until people can prove that they are smart enough to take care of themselves, their families and not put other people in danger, you're only going to see more laws of this nature. People are too dumb.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join