It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100 fine for smoking in car carrying kids proposed in Virginia legislature

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Drivers caught smoking in cars carrying children 7-years-old or younger could soon get slapped with a $100 fine in Virginia if they’re pulled over by authorities.

The Virginia House of Delegates passed a bill this week that would let cops fine people who have been stopped. The money collected from the fines would go directly to help fund literacy efforts in the state. If approved, Virginia - home to tobacco giant Phillip Morris – would join several other states in banning second-hand smoke in vehicles.

Bill sponsor Del. Todd Pillion, a Republican pediatric dentist from southwest Virginia, said he pitched the bill after he noticed children coming into his practice stinking of smoke. “And in a very tight, enclosed space in a car, it’s even worse,” Pillion said in an interview with The Richmond Times-Dispatch.

www.foxnews.com...

I am surprised to see logic being used in the government. This law should be a world wide law in my opinion and the fine should be a munimum of $1,000.00 for first offense and jail for multiple offenders. Second hand smoke is a known killer and parents have been blowing smoke into their children lungs for decades and are then confused when the child dies from cancer.

In children, secondhand smoke causes the following:

Ear infections
More frequent and severe asthma attacks
Respiratory symptoms (for example, coughing, sneezing, and shortness of breath)
Respiratory infections (bronchitis and pneumonia)
A greater risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has estimated that secondhand smoke causes about 49,000 deaths annually. The data supporting this, however, rely primarily on self-reporting to gauge secondhand smoke exposure, which many researchers consider unreliable.

Lets consider the risk to our children before we light up. Smoking inside your vehicle and your home also leaves smoke residue and now your infant puts its toy in their mouth.....

Think about it.....smoking cause damages not only to you but to your loved ones.

edit on 13-2-2016 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Another law, another fine, more revenue. The act of smoking it self is distracting enough. Like texting, not using signals, changing lanes in an intersection. I saw this stupidity multiple times yesterday driving in city traffic.

We have morons on our team.

They should announce that one in a thousand cigarettes are laced with cyanide… think they'll quit?

I smoked for thirty five years, I'm allowed to blow stupid smoke.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
7 years or younger is not going far enough. If the state says you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes then it should apply to smoking rules in a car. An 8, 12 or 16 year old is still at risk.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Yes please! Let's have more laws and more programs that invade and control my life. Any reason is ok, I just want state and local government to be able to fine and harass me for more things.
What I do around my kids is my fuc**ing business and I don't need you bleeding heart "It's for the children" drones to tell me what I can and can't do. If you like government running your lives, move to North Korea, otherwise, stay out of my life.
And no, it's not child abuse like I'm sure some of you will say. You still say it's putting them in danger? How about Mommy doesn'r drive and talk on the phone. How about Daddy doesn't speed and curse at people that make him mad.
Jesus. Stay Out Of My Life and stop being so sure you're so perfect that you can tell others what they're doing is wrong.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Seriously? $1,000?

You do know the car exhaust and asbestos from the break pads they are breathing while in the same car are far worse right?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Yes please! Let's have more laws and more programs that invade and control my life. Any reason is ok, I just want state and local government to be able to fine and harass me for more things.
What I do around my kids is my fuc**ing business and I don't need you bleeding heart "It's for the children" drones to tell me what I can and can't do. If you like government running your lives, move to North Korea, otherwise, stay out of my life.
And no, it's not child abuse like I'm sure some of you will say. You still say it's putting them in danger? How about Mommy doesn'r drive and talk on the phone. How about Daddy doesn't speed and curse at people that make him mad.
Jesus. Stay Out Of My Life and stop being so sure you're so perfect that you can tell others what they're doing is wrong.

Quoted for truth

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Yet at the same time the Car exhaust smokes like a chimney.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I don't see this as a problem. Secondhand smoke is unlikely to kill the kids before they reproduce anyway. They'll get their tax cows.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
As a former smoker I can actually agree with this. My mom smoked in the car when I was a kid. I didn't like it.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hex1an
Yet at the same time the Car exhaust smokes like a chimney.

Outside of the car

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

And the other cars on the highway emitting exhaust? Do you believe cars are air tight? That none of that is getting in?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

And the other cars on the highway emitting exhaust? Do you believe cars are air tight? That none of that is getting in?

Not nearly as much as a cigarette right next to the passenger.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
California has had that law since 2012. Its a $100 fine but with fees can get over $400.

Ive never smoked in my car with the kids in it, and its only common sense. So, in my opinion, its sad that there has to be a law that requires parents to protect their kids, but unfortunately so many parents are selfish enough to light up when their kids are in the car.

www.thelaw.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I am surprised to see logic being used in the government. 

I would be surprised if they did start using logic.
Virginia should know a bit about tobacco.

It is so toxic that they need to fine parents that smoke it in a car with their kids. Hint here: The parents are pulling it directly into their lungs.
So it is super toxic and is responsible for a majority of preventable deaths in the US.... but it is legal for the parents to use?
None of that holds true for marijuana, yet it.is not legal to use in almost every US state.

Yeah, logic flying all over down in Ole Virginny.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Ahh what our elected officials will go through to pocket $99 out of $100
hey gotta have more kickback money with the economy the way it is. Yes , it is for revenue where thay can improve their quality of life. At the public's expense.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I agree that parents shouldn't smoke with their kid in the car. I smoked for years, but I tried to not do it when my daughter was in the car with me. Thanks to hypnotherapy I don't smoke cigarettes anymore. In fact hypnotherapy worked too well. Now when I'm exposed to second hand smoke I get violently ill.

But when I was growing up, nobody gave much thought to second hand smoke. I remember going to Hamfests when I was a kid. I distinctly remember opening the door to the venue and having a giant cloud of smoke meet me at the door. Cheech and Chong, except it was cigarette smoke.

I chuckled when I read this:

Ear infections

Now I'm not saying that all of these different maladies didn't affect children when I was a kid. But I've heard more about these illnesses since all of the anti-smoking crap started a few years ago. I may have known 1 kid then entire time I was in public school that suffered from any of those.

I think the researchers should look at things such as the sterile, synthetic, chemically-infused, world in which we currently live for answers about how these diseases have become so much more prevalent than they were years ago. Second hand smoke is no doubt exacerbating the issue. However, there is definitely more to it than being exposed to cigarette smoke.

But the thing that ticks me off the most about this is that I don't want to live in a NANNY STATE! Stop telling me how to live my life. The other thing I find annoying is the fact that a "limited government" Republican is the one who sponsored the Bill.

-dex

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

These were not the poor kids coming in for dental work who smelled like smoke, working poor families can't afford to pay the high dental cost when housing and food come first, in addition to most not having a car and taking public transportation instead where the kids and parents stand at the side of the road, in heavy traffic, breathing masses and masses of exhaust from the trucks and cars, as they wait for the bus. The parent's he's targeting contribute to his profit margin, have decent paying jobs that can afford to pay for cars and the yearly state costs associated with having them in VA , that being taxed yearly on their vehicles, with yearly registration fees and inspection fees.

All dentists believe dental care is not a human right. If poor people who are older get bad teeth there are no programs to fix them up, only a few that will pull them out, even the good teeth, and send them out the door with screwed up looking dentures. Dental care is not dental CARE, like it should be, it's turned into an overpriced scam that works with banks and finance companies to get people to take out loans to take care of their teeth. This human right has been turned into a luxury/loan industry. If there is any revenue collected that goes to the literacy program for kids as stated in the article, maybe the kids that can read better for it because of the extra help they got from the program, will be able to read about the huge financial scam denists operate under when they are teenagers.

Along with the fine, in VA there are also mandatory administration fees if one doesn't prepay the fine and decides to go to court. 75.00 on up.

And who is providing the oversight that the funds collected from the fines are going to the literacy program? And when the money makes it to the literacy program, who is providing oversight that the additional money actually changed something in the program for the better. What is the name of the program?

All the drivers I see smoking in their car have the window rolled down and their arm completely out the window, taking a drag off their cig and purposefully blowing it outside of their car, not purposefully in anyone else's lungs. I also can smell the smoke on people who smoke outside. It just stinks. Some brands of cigs have a worse oder than others. Probably 1% of smokers seriously do not care about the smell, most smokers are aware of the smell and are always trying to get rid of it. Then there are people who smoke in their cars but only when they are by themselves and it leaves the car smelly. If kids under 7 are in it and it stinks like cigs one will wonder if they will still be cited.

Will the next bill passed be a 100.00 fine for driving with your windows open with a kid under 7 because exhaust from your vehicle and other vehicles is being forced inside your car? I don't know.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

What a sick outlook on life as a parent. The hell with the kids as long as you can feed your addiction, right?

It is this sick attitude why there is second hand smoke deaths....

What is the saying here at ATS?

DENY IGNORANCE......

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Air conditioner have filters that filter the air........

You did not know that did you.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

I agree that parents shouldn't smoke with their kid in the car. I smoked for years, but I tried to not do it when my daughter was in the car with me. Thanks to hypnotherapy I don't smoke cigarettes anymore. In fact hypnotherapy worked too well. Now when I'm exposed to second hand smoke I get violently ill.

But when I was growing up, nobody gave much thought to second hand smoke. I remember going to Hamfests when I was a kid. I distinctly remember opening the door to the venue and having a giant cloud of smoke meet me at the door. Cheech and Chong, except it was cigarette smoke.

I chuckled when I read this:

Ear infections

Now I'm not saying that all of these different maladies didn't affect children when I was a kid. But I've heard more about these illnesses since all of the anti-smoking crap started a few years ago. I may have known 1 kid then entire time I was in public school that suffered from any of those.

I think the researchers should look at things such as the sterile, synthetic, chemically-infused, world in which we currently live for answers about how these diseases have become so much more prevalent than they were years ago. Second hand smoke is no doubt exacerbating the issue. However, there is definitely more to it than being exposed to cigarette smoke.

But the thing that ticks me off the most about this is that I don't want to live in a NANNY STATE! Stop telling me how to live my life. The other thing I find annoying is the fact that a "limited government" Republican is the one who sponsored the Bill.

-dex

This quote in the OP came from the CDC......

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join