It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the knowledge and understanding you've gained from alternative websites improved your life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
In many ways the knowledge and understanding I've gained from alternative websites has shaped my life. I'm of the opinion that the view of the world that's projected through the mainstream (education, media, religion, etc.) is analogous to "The Matrix." I would compare the new perspectives available on alternative websites to what Neo experienced when he met the characters who lived outside the matrix in the films. I think that's wonderful. Even when the ideas are completely wrong (NESARA, 2012, ISON, etc.), considering far-out theories can lead you to places that are positive and productive, in my experience.

On the other hand, I see no point in continuing on these sites on a daily basis if it isn't helping a person to grow. There is a possible therapeutic benefit but do you need that every day? Coming to these sites daily just for therapy doesn't make sense to me.

Some people think sites like this have too many shills. I do not agree. I feel shills often play the "devil's advocate" role that's so crucial in critical thinking. As a matter of fact, I sometimes try to draw them out so that they can help me to think things through. Every coin has two sides indeed.

edit on 12-2-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

It's about 50/50.

I learn fascinating things all the time and talk to interesting characters but on the other hand, it's also mildly depressing to be constantly reminded how many ignorant, gullible people there are in the world. Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of folks with the same opinion of me...but trust me, those people don't count!

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I've become far more skeptical and scientifically literate since I began searching for the truth.

I would say that is a step up.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I've become far more skeptical and scientifically literate since I began searching for the truth.

I would say that is a step up.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Has the knowledge and understanding you've gained from alternative websites improved your life?

Nah...

It just made me realise how F****d up this world really is

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Yes.

This site, and being a part of it, has improved my day to day life immeasurably. My communication skills are kept sharp by banter and back and forth here, as well as by way of hefty debate with all and sundry. I have access to new scientific data and the ability to dissect it in company more knowledgable than myself on the subject. The political landscape in which I am living is drawn starkly, in such a way as to allow me to navigate matters in life with a more balanced and nuanced view than I would get, by simply watching the news, and the ability to discuss these things too, allows me to more firmly grasp the fundamental elements of my own personal political viewpoint as well.

These things alone would be worth their weight in gold, but this website does something else for me too, because for every halfwit I run into in the course of my life, there are hundreds of people here who remind me daily that intelligence is not dead, that we are not alone in the world, but part of a whole, that we can triumph with mindfulness, over those who promote selfishness and stupidity, at least at grass roots.

Membership here has given me confidence in myself and my ability to reason, and given me the tools to keep those abilities, as opposed to allowing them to decompose through inactivity. This place has also protected what remains of my raw intelligence quotient. I have lost thirty points of the stuff since I was ten years of age, and membership here has been instrumental in maintaining what was not lost during my high school years, a deeply nourishment free part of my life where most of that loss occurred.

My mind was, when I arrived here, utterly capable of recognising the lies that come to a person through the media, through political broadcasts and campaigns, the idiots standing either side of the house in parliament, and indeed, in worldwide politics. But this site has given me the ability to not only see the lie, but see how it is spun, and that gives me a certain peace, a certain comfort. Membership here allows me to be calm in my fury, steadfast in my will, certain of my reasoning, where once there was only a deep suspicion of the nature of the lie. I stand here now, a man of certainties. A man with solid information that underpins the suspicions I have held since I was a child, that the world does not operate as we are lead to believe, that those who lead us are not the best, but the worst of us, that no one has the best interests of the people in mind, save for the people themselves, and although the lie might seem more comforting to those who do not yet see the lie for what it is, I find comfort in knowing where I stand, the scale of the work ahead of us, the shape of the edifice of filth that we will, one day, have to bring down.

There is a tranquility to my rage, that I did not have before I came here, and would likely have never developed without such an amazing and comprehensive archive of data, not to mention stream of new information from which to work, as has been provided here. It is my honour, and my privilege to participate in events here, to add something for new members to consider, to contribute to this site, which has given me so much.

Be advised, even these words above are not equal to the task of explaining just how important and necessary membership of this site has been to me these last nine years, or how beneficial it has been to my daily life. I would however, be less of a man than I am, without it. My gratitude knows no limit.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Some parts of us simply cannot grow if there is not a special space and light for that to occur. We are trees of many fruits. Glad to hear ATS has done so much for you!a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Perhaps an example may suffice:

Recently I came across someone who genuinely believes in a flat earth due to seeing some video on YouTube.

Instead of being speechlessly flabbergasted that someone would hold such belief in this day and age, I was able to refute the video and calmly educate the fellow.

We parted on the best of terms, which was the best outcome.

I'm not sure if he was entirely convinced but I do know that he was interested enough to continue to find out.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

for me, up until about 2005 I was a sheeple as much as the next person.

One thing I have learned is that once one ventures down this path there is no going back

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I thought these sites had helped.

Turns out I'm only just learning they are taking me further from the truth.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Yes and no. On the positive side, what I have learned about vaccine damage and potential vaccine damage by altering DNA has kept me and my kids safer by me refusing the system permission to vaccinate us. Knowing what is coming, e.g. Smart meters, smart fridges, phones and goods that spy on you etc has also helped to keep us sort of below the radar, though obviously not completely.

On the negative side, it has pulled me out of the happy go lucky world I was once in. A world full of fun, laughter and trust. I truly feel like Neo, and once I started to see the lies (911 was the eye opener for me) and monstrous manipulation of humanity by a handful of insane elites, I could not go back, even if I wanted to. It can make me angry, depressed and fearful for the future of my family and others on the planet, who are unsuspectingly being decimated by the changes that are being unleashed and don't even realise it. However, I am also grateful for the knowledge and insight, for that is the only thing that allows me to protect my family.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I've learnt quite a lot about Americans and their voting systems, their politics and what gets them hot under the .collar. Can't say it's improved my life but interesting all the same.
I was introduced to Alan watts and terrance McKenna on ATS which has improved my life, quite a few things in the philosophy and metaphysics forum have been helpful and enlightening even. The whole election cycle is a massive drag compared with what we're used to in the uk, but certainly has more entertaining moments.

I guess the site has forced me to look at and challenge some of my own preconceived ideas and beliefs, which is always a good thing. I've learnt that most things in the news don't actually effect me in the slightest, no matter how much doom and gloom they promise, which has helped me put much of the fear based news media in perspective.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

This site helped make me a cynical skeptic.I was a believer up until about six years ago until I noticed the ****** in the other believers.

I don't really want to insult the probably nice but *** believers,so I'll leave those asterisks there.

I would entreat you to use at least a tiny bit of critical thinking,though.

It annoys me that there appears to be nothing outside of the mundane,it really does.Can't there be a shred of real evidence for ANYTHING?Yeah,the Universe is astonishing,full of wonders and whatever but where's the magic?Where are the dragons?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

Flying dinosaurs are not enough? Apex predators the size of a building?

Good grief!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

But not here and now.😃

Saltwater crocs are,when you get down to it,pretty damn fearsome but I want elves,fairies,dragons,swords and magic.

Middle Earth,in short.

This world is beautiful but dull.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
ATS has had a profound effect on my life.

I've always been able minded, but coming from a small town school with small town minds I was not prepared in the realm of "how to think". On ATS I learned logic in thought through studying the debate rules that many here in 2007 expected members to abide by.

I've honed my ability to express myself with the written word, which has had a wide effect on my life, including job.

I've been able to pull solid information from minds that, in small town West Texas, would have otherwise been out of my reach.

Photoshop....everything I know about it i have learned here on ATS. BTS Avatar Creations gave me a place where kind hearted people helped by giving encouragement and tips. One time, right after I did something I wasn't really proud of, Sublimecraft raved over it. Things like that....it really helped me learn a hobby that is very important to my day to day life.

From a majority standpoint, not much in the way of information on ATS is life changing. People and interactions, yes. But practical information isn't usually found here. Its a place to kill time, not to learn how to rebuild an engine.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

There are as many orcs in the world as you care to see though.

You only have to learn to see them!

top topics

join