It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists take a step closer to ETERNAL LIFE as they PRESERVE and REVIVE brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Interesting times indeed. Gravity waves, closer to quantum compution, research into artificial intelligence is rapidly increasing and now this:

FOR the first time, scientists have successfully managed to cryogenically freeze a brain and then revive it.

In a step towards eternal life, researchers from 21st Century Medicine (21CM) managed to freeze the brain of a rabbit using a technique known as Aldehyde-stabilized cryopreservation (ASC).

The team, led by recent Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate Robert McIntyre, wrote in a press release: "Using a combination of ultrafast chemical fixation and cryogenic storage, it is the first demonstration that near perfect, long-term structural preservation of an intact mammalian brain is achievable.”

They achieved this by filling the vascular system of the brain with chemicals that are designed to halt the decaying process, and then froze it to -135 degrees celsius.

When the brain was warmed, the scientists found that the majority of its cell membranes, synapses and structures were still in tact and ready to function.

Kenneth Hayworth, the Brain Preservation Foundation president, said: "Every neuron and synapse looks beautifully preserved across the entire brain.

www.express.co.uk...

This will be very interesting when we can digitally map the brain and maybe have digital avatars that mimic their "real" life avatars. They still have to see if they can repeat this. I think they're trying to do a pig brain next. They also have to see if there's any side effects overtime but this is an interesting step.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
But what about the organs?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Wow we might see Walt Disney again in
our lifetime...LOL!

This is very interesting & am looking forward
to seeing the pig brain results...

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Bwah, ha, ha!

They laughed me out of medical school for my "crazy theories", but now I will prove them wrong!

My automated preserving machine will allow me to LIVE FOREVER!!!!! ..........

... as a frozen Bratwurst sausage! [sarcasm off]

edit on 12/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The question becomes, does the rabbit still like carrots? I mean, is there a rabbit still in there, or is it just live cells?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Thats insane. I remember they were stuck at how to freeze without removing all moisture. That once it crystalized that the tissue would be shredded by ice on a cellular level.

Very cool. I guess whatever process they use to prepare the brain for the deep freeze is new. They say chemical, I wonder if that would effect the brain should it ever be animated again.
edit on 2 12 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Sounds crazy to me
Scientist manipulating a dead animals brain through artificial input

Sadly it is nothing more than a soulless robot

Body's are born to die ... the soul dreams on ...

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ektar

our lifetime...LOL!

As a puddle of slush only ... but his movies live on
edit on 12-2-2016 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ready to function is a lot different than functioning. Especially with a brain.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Ready to function is a lot different than functioning. Especially with a brain.

Yep.
A strong crack on the noggin will make people forget things.
I really doubt that there any memories in that rabbit brain now.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

They will be made in China, silly.

I don't think this offer includes you keeping your meat suit.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I agree. I guess we have to take baby steps but this is only the beginning. Hopefully we can use this for good and help people who issues with their brains that could be taking care during their lifetime.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Living longer....not something I'd choose.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The question becomes, does the rabbit still like carrots? I mean, is there a rabbit still in there, or is it just live cells?

Ask the Micmac.

Sometimes, dead is better.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ektar
our lifetime...LOL!

This is very interesting & am looking forward
to seeing the pig brain results...

Cheers
Ektar

why so they can unfreeze him then tell him what they have done to Disney so his head explodes. LOL your company is owned by the Chinese and its movies are all produced and directed by Jewish people! boom
edit on 12-2-2016 by jobless1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I just finished reading The Battle of Corrin by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson last night. In the book they have things called cymeks, which are human brains preserved in a canister powering a robotic body. Though this isn't exactly the same thing, the article made me think of them.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
He said "near perfect" I wonder what exactly that means?

originally posted by: Abysha

They will be made in China, silly.

I don't think this offer includes you keeping your meat suit.

GOGO Gadget Penis lol first thing that came to mind sorry

edit on 12-2-2016 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Who needs organs. Just stick your thawed brain in a brand new synthetic cyborg body with a shelf life of thousands of years. You'll be good for a while with only the occasional maintenance check.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Immortality has existed for a long time. Humanity on this earth exists from aliens coming to this planet (see the Thule Secret Society) and there have been humanoids that look like us that have been alive since the very beginning breeding a new race of alien that is much more instinctive and predatory... survival of the fittest in some of the most extreme environments and that has been a constant for hundreds of thousands of years. The thing about immortality however is that it only protects you from age. If you have an accident you're dead, if you piss someone off and they are powerful or lucky enough you're dead. Besides humans are to stupid to live a life of immortality because they make too many damn mistakes that all add up and they eventually wish they were dead anyway. You all kinda don't really need this technology, at least not the extreme version of it which is immortality which does exist. You'll just hurt yourselves.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I really don't like the thought of living forever, watching my children grow up, grow old, die, their children grow up grow old, die...
In any case, human brain cells die and are not replaced, so eventually the whole brain disappears, so just what is the point?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join