It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Columbine Shooter - New Interview tonight on 20/20

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Tonight Feb. 12 2016 on ABC, Sue Klebold will be interviewed for the first time on television.

abcnews.go.com...

It has been 17 years, and for the first time people will get some new information on the family leading up to the shooting. This comes ahead of her new book "A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy." When news of the book deal surfaced, most people had renewed outrage as many surveys showeed 85% of people across the US blamed the parents of both shooters Klebold and Harris. This was before it was announced that the proceeds from the book are going entirely to foundations that focus on problems related to the Columbine shooting - like mental illness and suicide prevention in teens for parents.

Regardless of your view on any facts or conspiracies involved, the interview and book might prove interresting as surely new insights should be included.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

Should be interesting...17 years...time goes by so fast

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

This will be interesting to see. However I feel I already know what will be said many times over during the interview - "we missed the warning signs" which to me means, we "ignored" the warning signs. No one wants to admit that their child is capable of doing something like this. I have my own theories as to why kids do this. Parenting, religion, mental illness that was ignored, peers/bullying, a child made to feel like an outsider. Or a combination.
edit on 12-2-2016 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

Oh, I agree that much will be rehashed. I look forward to it for a few reasons though...

Reading interviews and essays from her will be very different from actually seeing and hearing her. While essays can be edited and "perfected" a lot easier, face to face interviews can change things. Though subject to probable editing as well, many times TV interviews have made stories sink or swim. Yes, sometimes people change opinions by being a good liar or actor...or even come off guilty because of general nerves or public awkwardness. But, for most people, I think you can tell a lot more truth by looking at someone's face and and hearing how they say things as opposed to reading words on paper.

I think it is hard for people to really view others they love in such a horrible way...but unless you live through it, you can't really KNOW how it all works for and against them. Even if you know your kid is going through something, it is literally "unthinkable" to say "I wonder if my kid might kill people?" If you thought that about somebody you loved, it must be horrifying.

But, regardless of what they knew, what they ignored, or what they feel about it now...it needs to be a continual topic. More than gun control...THIS is something people can talk about in the homes with their families. It doesn't need to be made into law or a big debate...it is an immediate change.

People don't discuss mental illness. You tell your kids what to do if a stranger approaches, but you don't tell your kid what to do if they notice signs of mental illness (which often show up around adolescence - when normal emotions are in upheaval too.) It might not excuse the larger, more obvious things missed in this case, but it IS at least understandable to see how they mistook or ignored behaviors that mimic "normal" changes for some people.

Even if guns are or are not the problem, mental illness will continue to be...and we can start handling that better today.

But it really is crazy it was that long ago!
edit on 12-2-2016 by BarefootInWinter because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm not sure if they were even mentally ill. They were just a reflection of our modern society.. it's where we were at, and where we're still at. Humans were not meant to exist in the soulless and deceitful conditions we are in as a society. What they were and what they did is the inevitable outcome of a broken and dysfunctional human spirit.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

That is not true in the least. Were it the case, I would be wearing a wardrobe made of the flesh of my enemies, and all the lamp holders in my home would be festooned with their skulls. There is a difference between being aware of the sickness, and giving in to its symptoms. One makes a person well rounded and functional. The other marks them as weak of spirit and deserving of nothing but contempt.

join