It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Storms ravage Northen Europe, at least 14 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Northen Europe, including Sweden, Germany, Denmark and United Kingdom were thrased by storms, flooding and hurriance-force winds. Hundreds of thousands have been left without power and hundreds rendered homeless. Fourteen people are known to have died as a result of the severe weather.

news.bbc.co.uk

At least 14 people have been killed and thousands left without power as hurricane-strength winds lashed parts of northern Europe.
At least 11 people were reported killed in Sweden and Denmark and more than 400,000 homes left without power.

In Britain, three people died after floods hit the north of England city of Carlisle affecting thousands of homes.

Airports, rail networks, bridges and roads were closed and dozens of North Sea ferry routes were cancelled.

In southern Sweden, two nuclear reactors were temporarily shut down and 405,000 homes in the region were without electricity.

Thousands of people in Carlisle were moved into temporary accommodation as some 70,000 homes lost power in the flooding.

Many thousands of households in Denmark and Norway also suffered power cuts.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Another climatic disaster on the eve of the Tsunamis and the storms in US. I think it can no longer be denied that we are undergoing severe climate changes. How worse will it and can it get?

Related News Links:
www.smh.com.au

[edit on 9-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I think this will only get worse for the next 7-10 years all across the globe. It is likely these climate changes are the result of major changes in the pattern of the jet stream; and this is due to a gradual pole shift. The mayan calendar shows a major cataclysmic period around 2012. If such is true a shift in the poles would cause much more devastation than a change in the jetstream. A shift in the magnetic poles could cause entire climate changes, huge shifts in techtonic plates-resulting in earthquakes never thought of, in turn causing ages old volcanic eruptions; which might include the civilization killer sleeping underneath "Old Faithful". I think we're about to see alot more buildup in the next 3-5 years when it comes to crazy weather and earthquakes; and though the air in the world is alot worse due to industrial standards that would be the least of our worries.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
At the rate these storms are coming I don't see the big change taking 5 to 7 years. I would be worried about something much more immediate. The sea surface temperatures are a big concern. If we have to deal with a very hot summer and increased sea surface temps I think this next winter might be the turning point. I think we are on the edge now. I think a couple more degrees warming to the ocean and a little larger cap in temperature in the layers of the atmosphere and the climate will shift dramatically. If it isn't already in the works. You can just feel it.

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I don't want to get drawn into the sensationalism of media, they are in so many places and you can see so many things at once, sensationalized, making it look worse than it really is. But I'm sitting here in Virginia where it has been in the upper 60's for some days now, and this follows after a period of quite cold weather (below freezing). We've got big floods and snow in California. Strange booms in different areas of the world. Are we going to end up like in the movie "The Day After Tommorrow"? All the Hollywood unrealities aside, how much of that movie could happen? Another question would be, has the weather ever been this way in the past? Do we have something we can compare it too? Seems like we have to go back decades to find events like the ones we are experiencing now.

I'm also a person who would like to think mankind can help reverse the damage we have done to the earth.

Troy

Troy

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Troy.. I don't believe the change is coming because of "damage" man may have done. We MIGHT... and I stress "MIGHT" have helped it a little. The change was going to come one way or another. Its just the cycle of our system we live in. I think the events as shown in the movie won't happen. It was pure Hollywood. But there is evidence in the records of a superstorm. To me there is no doubt about that. How will it come? Hard to say. No one really knows. But the records show that when the change comes it comes fast and furious. Recent studies suggest it may happen in as little as a few weeks.

top topics

join