It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco built an outdoor urinal

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Just think of the revenue they can generate with the public indecency fines!

and use that revenue for even more toilets! it all makes sense now!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I'm not sure if that's a good idea. What are women supposed to do? Drop their pants and let it fly?

How long will it be before people start crapping in it?

The are called bomb shoots in Europe. Just a hole and two places to put your feet...bombs away!!!

OH, seriously?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   

One billion people around the world are forced to defecate in public, the United Nations said Thursday. In sub-Saharan Africa alone, 39 million did not have access to toilets in 2012, which greatly adds to the risk for many infectious diseases

One billion people around the world defecate in public, United Nations experts said Thursday, and while that number has gone down overall since 1990, it continues to be a major factor in the spread of fatal diseases.

Launching a new study on drinking water and sanitation, the U.N. said that rural, low-income communities run an especially high risk of contracting cholera, diarrhea, dysentry, hepatitis A and typhoid.

Efforts to improve sanitation in poor countries has so far concentrated on building more latrines, the U.N. said, but many people don’t want to use them. “In all honesty, the results have been abysmal,” said Rolf Luyendijk, a statistician at the U.N. children’s fund UNICEF, Reuters reports. According to experts like Luyendijk, money would be better spent in educating people as to why human waste out in the open is a public health problem.

time.com...

I don't see the argument here, and why put it right on the street, What about the women they pee there too?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

One billion people around the world are forced to defecate in public, the United Nations said Thursday. In sub-Saharan Africa alone, 39 million did not have access to toilets in 2012, which greatly adds to the risk for many infectious diseases

One billion people around the world defecate in public, United Nations experts said Thursday, and while that number has gone down overall since 1990, it continues to be a major factor in the spread of fatal diseases.

Launching a new study on drinking water and sanitation, the U.N. said that rural, low-income communities run an especially high risk of contracting cholera, diarrhea, dysentry, hepatitis A and typhoid.

Efforts to improve sanitation in poor countries has so far concentrated on building more latrines, the U.N. said, but many people don’t want to use them. “In all honesty, the results have been abysmal,” said Rolf Luyendijk, a statistician at the U.N. children’s fund UNICEF, Reuters reports. According to experts like Luyendijk, money would be better spent in educating people as to why human waste out in the open is a public health problem.

time.com...

I don't see the argument here, and why put it right on the street, What about the women they pee there too?

You provided the argument.

You can't see that?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Castle toilet

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder

originally posted by: greencmp

Just think of the revenue they can generate with the public indecency fines!

and use that revenue for even more toilets! it all makes sense now!

A vertical ablution scheme?

A civil circle?

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I live near Portland where there is a lot of homeless. I wonder what they do? Most business have combo locks on their bathrooms many business have iron gates on their front to keep people from sleeping or deprecating in their entrance. This is a serious problem and the old European outdoor public toilets are most likely the best way forward.

They added some port-a-potties that seem to be taken over by drug pushers to sell their trade, so it is sad that there is always something...

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Well times are certainly changing since my day. it seems to be a kind of "can't lick em join em" kind of thing.
What do you all think of this?

“Honestly, we were ready to go pee anywhere,” San Francisco resident Aaron Cutler told news station KNTV. “So any facility is better than none.”

The park now features 27 toilets, including the outdoor urinal, thanks to more than $20 million in renovations. They were the park’s first upgrades in 60 years. San Francisco Recreation and Park Department spokeswoman Sarah Madland said she wasn’t aware of any other cities with a public urinal.

San Francisco has a long, sometimes creative, history of dealing with public urination. In 2002, the city increased the possible fine for the crime up to $500, but that did little to deter it.

Last summer, the city painted nearly 30 walls with a repellant paint that makes urine spray back on the offender, San Francisco Public Works spokeswoman Rachel Gordon said.

www.washingtontimes.com...

Not sure how this is any urinal no water and by the bus stop, must stink!

WTF IS THIS......INDIA? lol..

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
a reply to: Annee

You think schizophrenics & god knows what else are happy wandering & living on the streets, digging through dumpsters, harassing/begging from pedestrians? The phrase mentally ill must not have a very strong connotation to you. Have you ever lived in a city or area with high homeless population & had to walk by hordes of them every day going to work & been verbally accosted by people who have no idea what's even going on around them? I have on many occasions just living in San Francisco alone. My last trip there (a 6 hour layover on the drive to Portland) I gave money to a very messed up homeless pregnant woman & a very old homeless grandpa who was sitting in a corner taking to himself on haight street in the middle of a rather populated area.

You're against building government funded public health facilities to house these people & give them a community? They should live on the streets because...freedom & liberty?

Im sure I could go on but I don't want to pop that little bubble around you, wouldn't want you to fall off such a tall horse.

You can try and spend millions on shelters for homeless people. Unfortunately, they don't want to live next to other homeless people they don't know because of the fear of being attacked or having their possessions stolen. And you can't just buy up houses and convert them into shelters because that upsets the neighbors. If you find some remote location (which is hard to do on the peninsula), the homeless people won't want to live there because it's so far away from downtown.

About the only option left would be to build housing units underneath roadway overpasses, but then the neighbors would complain. There are some religion charities who give the homeless people the chance to start a new life by getting a shave, haircut and new clothes.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

They added some port-a-potties that seem to be taken over by drug pushers to sell their trade, so it is sad that there is always something...

Exactly, anything with a closed door.

SF did try port-a-potties, but they were vandalized and the cost of replacing them was not cost effective.

I don't think anyone's mentioned that SF also uses Solar Powered toilets they drive around the city (it was in the article).

I still say Health priority outweighs - - - some people's sensibilities.

SAN FRANCISCO - Streets in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood blocks away from fancy stores and long lines of tourists waiting for cable cars have been cleaner since solar-powered toilets began rolling in four afternoons per week.

The mobile bathrooms on wheels are guarded by attendants and have been so successful that city officials say Portland, Oregon; Honolulu and New York have inquired about them in seeking solutions for similar sanitation problems.

Supporters of the portable pit stops say having public bathrooms accessible has made the neighborhood known for crime, homelessness and poverty more livable. www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

But then where do they go #2?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

In a little alley off Townsend St, in between 5th and 6th used to be a popular place, until my former boss got permission from the city to install fences there. Most disgusting place I've ever seen in my 38 years. I remember several co-workers fail to watch their steps and ruin their shoes. That alley and the loading dock behind the shop would make my stomach turn. I learned to watch my step and never wear my work shoes inside my house. Avoid touching the soles at all costs and sprayed them with a beach/water mixture often. The big City was a real eye opener for this small town mountain kid and I'll never get over the shock at some of the things I saw there. The most bizzare place I've ever been, by a long shot.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I have a bucket with a seat on top.

But, seriously - - I can only think of a place in PV (Palos Verdes) that has a dog walking trail. They have big cement receptacles at each end of the trail. You pick up the dog poop and put it in the trash cans (which are lined with heavy plastic bags). The city has a crew that picks it up.

I'd offer buckets with seats and free liners - - encouraging users to bring it to a designated receptacle.

Where they go is their business, if you could get them to bring it to the receptacle - - it would be a major plus.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Obviously SF has never heard of Poo Pourri:
theinspirationroom.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I would bet at night they will poo in this urinal.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Castle toilet

We can feel historic now

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

On the one hand, the "if you can't beat em, join em" concept is generally the right approach. You govern the willing, so governing folks means finding ways to service the community with the least friction.

On the other hand, God made all of outdoors a urinal. At least, in my opinion. So the exercise in absurdity is amusing, at least to someone from the country.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

LOL, I know. Back in the 50s, most people had only one bathroom.

It was normal to tell the boys to go pee in the backyard. Girls too, if they complained.

I see a health issue, that's all.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

erm...the 50's?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

erm...the 50's?

Uh huh, back then when I was a youngun'

Not that I haven't "nature peed" (and other) out in the woods. Even recently.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join