It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kinda debating moving in the next year....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I'm in Canada. And as much as I hate a lot of things about this country, the one thing we do have going for us is abundance of land. So there's this place (i'll post a video) that I was thinking of moving too. I've visited lots. It really is a gem of a place to live. Small city, about 200k people. They got lakes, mountains, forests, rivers, skiing, golfing, boating, warm weather (for Canadian standards) etc etc. I go there in the summer often. It's just amazing to say the least.

To add to the location, you got "EVERYTHING" in close proximity. My relatives would only be about a days drive or 1 hr flight. Major ski mountains everywhere, golf courses everywhere, Banff and Jasper near by. Vancouver just a 3 hr drive away. Like I think it would be a very refreshing change in so many way. Like my friend put it, "even if I never went on another vacation I'd be fine living here".

So that compared to the city I'm in now. My city which is the last hub city that feeds canada's tar sands. The tar sands are the largest oil reserves on the planet. It's what Leonardo Decaprio is always barking about. But the challenge to that is it makes our city "very expensive, poluted, dirty, very congested, very industrialized, it's all mainly a stupid blue collar city full of trades people that work in the oil industry. There's nothing in the city in terms of any kind of recreation or nature. Like if I leave my place, all there is is houses and malls. That's it. So I really don't go out much. Like there ZERO to go to. Unless you wanna walk around another shopping mall. This city is completely surrounded by farm feilds for hundreds of miles so you have to drive like 4hrs to reach any kind of nature. Like NO JOKE, its essencially a prison. Taht's all it is. a big open air prison. It just sucks.

But I have a problem. I'm kinda broke. So moving might be a bit difficult at first. I'm trying to figure out a way around that angle. And I have a few ideas. But nothing concrete. But I'm not overly concerned that I couldn't get back on my feet in due time. Like it might take a couple years but I'm sure I'd be fine.

So my question is do you think I should make the move?

Here's where I'd want to move: (this is like our california or something)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

So happy to see you in new mode

Your are very funny .. Who new
keep it coming

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
If you are living near the tar sands..best thing imho is to get out, and get out soon. Kelowna would be paradise in comparison, and if it has all you want and need, go for it. Put your mind to it and find the money. Find the way. 6 years ago I moved my family half way across Canada with just a few hundred in my pocket after moving costs. Still here, made it work and I love it. It CAN be done.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I take it you live in "deadmonton". lol
Kelowna and the Okanagan are extremely expensive to live in and jobs are scarce there, not trying to discourage you but do a lot of research before you make that plunge. Are you single? if so it would make the move easier. Do you have a trade ticket? I have a friend here in Lloydminster who grew up in Kelowna, he's a licenced mechanic and even he says it's too expensive for him to live there (he plans on retiring there when he takes over the family home)

Not saying you shouldn't go, hell I'd love to live there just for the weather and the abundance of fresh produce that grows there, just saying it might be harder than you think and to really plan it out.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Still here? Like Edmonton or Kelown??? Wow on a few hundred bucks? that's great. That's nuts. And I thougth I had issues. Tell me more...???

Well see I had this whole crazy plan. I was gonna go to the OK and build an underground bunker. I like the idea. I really do. I think it would just perfect. It would be completely free to live in. Still debating that idea. That's if I'm still on a shoe string budget. Alternatively I meet some people or find a cheap place to move into out there. the OK is really the bmb. It'st just amazing, especially in the summer. Then in the winter you screw off to somewhere warm for a few months. That's like "the life". I can't picture much of a better life that one could build for themselves.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

oh man you're in "the prison" too ah? Wow. Well all of a sudden I somehow feel better knowing I'm not alone in this sh9t hole. ha ha. ;-p. Naaa I just want to try something new, for better or for worse. I don't care. I just feel like I must go for it. I'm hoping to get out there this summer. And see how it goes.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

The " go west " bug didn't bite me... The "go east " one did. I'm all for building a better life where you want,but be sure you are being realistic. Building a bunker sounds fabulous but you can't do that on crown land and you can't build whatever you want on your own land without researching land use bylaws in that area. All it takes is one inspector to ruin your day. Nothing easy about life when going after what you want but motivation is key. Sounds like you need to do some more research. Then you will be certain you are making the right choice. I still say though... get out of where you are.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Have you run this move past your Truman show producers yet?

They'll have to build a new set and everything for you!

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
There are plenty of rooms for rent there, here's one: kelowna.craigslist.ca...

I noticed in the bottom of the description that it is close to several businesses, that's where I would call and apply for a job. Next I would talk to family for a loan to cover first month's rent, deposit and food.

Also, craigslist.org has some other jobs listed and rooms/share for rent in the area: kelowna.craigslist.ca...

Good luck,

STM
edit on 12-2-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Read your own post. You already know the answer. Just do it.

We had to make a HUGE decision three years ago. We could stay where we were, miserable, broke and with no future or we could pack our bags and go, knowing we had just enough cash to get there. As a trader (that's trader folks, not traitor), I learned that when you need to make a decision and you don't know which to make, ask yourself, "What if it turns out that I made the wrong decision? Which "wrong" decision would be the easiest to live with?" For us, we did move, and sigh, we are still miserable, broke and with no future, but at the same time, happy with the decision. We increased both the possibilities and probabilities for success. Finding ATS recently was a needed catalyst in the journey.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The college there offers skill courses and it sounds like you might qualify for an award to help pay for costs. Part time student, part time job and then getting your job certifications would be very do able there. Here's a link to the awards at their college:

www.okanagan.bc.ca...

Note: Skill courses would go a long ways in convincing your family to help you out.

STM

ETA: I read some of your previous threads and a constant theme is living out in the wilderness but that you weren't sure if you could handle it without much experience, right? Well there happens to be several skill courses that would improve your abilities, such as carpentry/Joinery, electrician ( to put together solar and other devices), mechanic (to work on engines that you will utilize such as generator), etc, etc.
edit on 12-2-2016 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It looks amazing! Just be sure you can afford it and find a job there. I wish you the very best!

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

SHUT UP!!! Look, even if I never get out....I CAN DREAM CAN'T i???? Can't I at least dream!!! frig. I'm gonna break out of this nazi concentration camp if it's the last thing I do. People are gonna say "why are you packing, where are you going" and I'm gonna say "anywhere but here" and leave.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

Here's what I learned about how risky life is...... you're not gonna get out of it alive. That's how risky it is. So you might as well go for it while you still can.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

That's the only problem. But realistically when I first got out on my own I only had like 1500 dollars in my pocket, and my living expenses per month were about 500 to 600 per month. So technically I had 3 months to start to make a living. Fortunately I did that.

So now I'm kinda doing the same thing. Far better position in so many ways than before. But way more fearful than before for whatever weird reason. I don't know why. The older you get the more cautious I guess you get. , I'd likely only go there in the summer, so that's like 6 months of the year. But Ya i better try and locate a cheaper car then to drive but Ya I should try. I'm kinda scared though. I don't know why, I just am. ahhhhh.

new topics

top topics

join