It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of 1,400 More Americans Losing Their Jobs to Mexico- Sickening.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

What's wrong with a burger flipper being paid enough to live on though?

Without people to flip burgers, spin pizza, wrap tortilla, fill tacos, stuff mushrooms and cook short order, there would be no one to make skilled workers their lunches, or dinners. Everyone has a part to play.

In the specific instance of these folks loosing their jobs in the OP, each of those individuals would still be getting paid more than a burger joint employee, just not the same percentage more. What's wrong with that? Nothing. All it means, is that a sector of the workforce who are absolutely necessary to the function of the rest, is incentivised to do their job and smile about it, because they can afford to live, rather than simply exist.
edit on 17-2-2016 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Because people have been told over and over again by others that since they have a job they deem not worthy, they don't deserve to get paid decent. Funny how some don't consider that class warfare. It's only ever class warfare if you are bad mouthing the wealthy.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Two ideas:
1. End NAFTA.
It was a really dumb idea to ship our jobs to other countries so we have to pay out welfare, food stamps, and medicade....

2. Any companies who use NAFTA should be taxed heavily. Any products coming into USA should be taxed heavily. Such as CHINESE STEEL. TAX that stuff to the hilt.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Teddy916

...and people need to take responsibility for all of the cheap stuff they buy. While NAFTA is the main problem consumers purchasing cheap wal-mart cuture items is also a big problem. They follow what consumers buy. They're adaptable, consumers not so much. Put your money where your rage is and if you shop predominately at mass retailers you are part of the problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: dismanrc

What's wrong with a burger flipper being paid enough to live on though?

Without people to flip burgers, spin pizza, wrap tortilla, fill tacos, stuff mushrooms and cook short order, there would be no one to make skilled workers their lunches, or dinners. Everyone has a part to play.

In the specific instance of these folks loosing their jobs in the OP, each of those individuals would still be getting paid more than a burger joint employee, just not the same percentage more. What's wrong with that? Nothing. All it means, is that a sector of the workforce who are absolutely necessary to the function of the rest, is incentivised to do their job and smile about it, because they can afford to live, rather than simply exist.

Yes!!!

What people dont seem to get is if a burger flipper makes more money, they will SPEND more money, and as a result when you multiply all those countless burger flippers, taco makers, and such spending LOTs more money, guess what? The economy starts to improve. One of the main reasons our economy here in the US is so lackluster is because the buying power of a large segment of the workforce is very weak. If we strengthen that, we strengthen the Economy. Instead of sitting in the bank account of some one percenter accruing interest, the money is circulating in the economy, which makes it STRONGER. and that's a win for everyone.

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Trump and Bernie are the only ones talking about this.

Hillary, she gives lip service to this but you can’t believe a word out of her mouth.

Her husband is one of the guiltiest in bringing about the economic ruin of America with NAFTA and the repeal of Glass Steagall

ALL the other GOP candidates are all brain dead and never talk about this because they are 100 percent in the pay of the elite corporatists.

The economy can not be improved at all without stopping this trend of these trade deal swindles.

We are at a watershed period where Americans can either be awakened or will be put into a deeper sleep.

Conservative philosophy, fake progressives like Obama and the Clintons are a part of the massive sleeping pill they dose the American people with.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
As consumers who support keeping well paying jobs on American soil, I can only presume you support paying higher prices for all these goods, correct?

You will no longer shop with price being the most important criteria, but rather where it is made?

To keep clothes and computers, cellphone and TV's, air-conditioners and furnaces built here...you will have to accept paying more money for them. Are you willing to pay more money for to support the higher wages, more expensive factories and higher costs of production to keep those jobs and companies on US soil...yes or no?

There exists a disconnect between the wages people want to earn and the prices that want to pay for goods.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

How do you pay for those goods if no one can afford them?

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Look at the math. It's not even math actually, it's arithmetic. If you want high paying manufacturing jobs to stay in the country, you have to be prepared to pay more for "Made in America" products.

"Made in America" will have to be more important to you than "cheapest price".

We have all seen how that has turned out. People talk about "made in America" being the priority, but their actions are "cheapest" ie: "Made in China/Mexico".

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I agree.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

These jobs were never consider "living" type jobs. For the most part these are part time, no skill starting jobs. Jobs that teens worked at after school, or people that wanted some extra cash on top of their normal jobs. I will bet that almost everybody on here had one of these types of jobs in high school or for beer money in collage.

That is the very reason to learn some type of skill, so you can move up and move on to a real job and a real wage. The world owes you nothing. If you wish to remain at the bottom then you get nothing. I wont even go into the fact that the % of people that support a family on this type of job as the sole income is almost 0.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

You know I have been around for a while. I never remember consciously thinking "I want cheaper goods". I remember thinking "I want the best my money can buy". Then in the 90's, I kept hearing on the news media how I want cheaper goods. I don't.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

There exists a disconnect between the wages people want to earn and the prices that want to pay for goods.

I don't think people are that concerned with the cost of anything they have been programmed to buy. In fact I see people all the time buying crap they don't need because they have been programmed that owning that item increases their value as a person and sets them apart from their less cool peers. Little do they know that they items they slave to own, actually own them.

Paying 2 weeks wages for a pair of shoes that won't make it past a couple of months, or will be just taking up place in a closet. Earphones that cost near one month's rent. Buying the same upwards of a $1000.00 dollar tracking, device with camera and spyware, so they can keep track of them in between those moments that they are not sending them their selfies and posting every ridiculous and intimate detail of their special lives.

People seem to have money for what they want. It is the stuff they need that they seem to bitch about.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

That can also be turned around on you where there are Corporate Lobbyists that want the lowest wages workers they can find and charge the highest prices they can get away with.

time.com...
Apple’s $649 iPhone 6 Reportedly Costs $200 to Make

This did not start with consumers or citizens but with Corporate Written Trade Pacts

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

You know I have been around for a while. I never remember consciously thinking "I want cheaper goods". I remember thinking "I want the best my money can buy". Then in the 90's, I kept hearing on the news media how I want cheaper goods. I don't.

Exactly, I remember buying High Quality Craftsman Tools with the lifetime replacement.
I still have original craftsman tools in my set.
They moved to China and got rid of the lifetime replacement.
Now when I need tool, I end up spending more than American made because I have to replace it often

I remember buying a Maytag Washer and it last for years.
You have to replace the ones today every 5 years.

Nothing is cheaper in price, just cheaper in quality to keep you coming back for more

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001
Tell me about it. I am crying my eyes out and looking for a Laundromat right now.

My Kenmore washer that I bought in 1984, just died for what looks like the last time. All these years all I had to do was replace a few belts and a few alligator dogs.

It served me well, and all good things come to an end. I know I will never get another washing machine that will last me that long ever again.

They really don't make many things the way they used to. When I was growing up, "Made in China" was a good indicator the item was cheap, and a piece a crap that was likely to fall apart in your hands.

Pretty much the same today, but we have to add, it is also likely to make you sick or kill you.

edit on 18-2-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join