It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 "deploys" for the first time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron has sent 6 F-35As from Edwards AFB to Mountain Home Idaho, on a simulated deployment. The aircraft, and 85 airmen arrived in Idaho on Feb 8-9, and will be there about a month. While there, they will work with F-15E Strike Eagles, and A-10 Warthogs, performing SEAD, Close Air Support, and Air Interdiction.

The test will focus on mission planning, scheduling, weapons building and loading, sortie generation, life support, mission employment, debried, and aircraft turning. This is an important benchmark for the program, moving towards IOC for the A model.

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFNS) -- A much anticipated and important test mission for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Program is underway with the "deployment" of six operational test and evaluation F-35s and more than 85 Airmen from the 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron, who arrived Feb. 8-9.

This is the first simulated deployment test of the F-35A Lightning II, specifically to execute three key initial operational capability mission sets: suppression of enemy air defenses, close air support and air interdiction.

The 31st TES will execute each of these in a limited scope from a "deployed" location for this test. The deployed location is Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. The 31st TES at Edwards AFB falls under the 53rd Wing at Eglin AFB, Florida, which is leading the test design, management and execution of the F-35A deployment test.

www.af.mil...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There's very few times I wish that I lived in northern florida.

but this would be one of them.

I wonder if any members close to there can snap some pics.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

…suppression of enemy air defenses, close air support…

Most expensive ground attack aircraft ever, woohoo.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And it beats using B-1s, and B-52s. That's part of its mission, so of course they're going to use it.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

And it beats using B-1s, and B-52s. That's part of its mission, so of course they're going to use it.

Too light a bomb load, expensive loss if shot down, stealth and vtol aren't utilized during close air support.
They are forced to use it because of the aging ground attack fleet and the big bombers aren't as able to provide "close' air support.

Trying to fill a gap in the program.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The big bombers have no problem providing close air support using JDAMs and other guided weapons. They can get just as close an any other platform out there. The other CAS platforms are just as effective, and some carry just as light a weapons load as the F-35 will. And VTOL has nothing to do with it, because the A, which is being talked about here, isn't a VTOL, or STOVL. As for age, all the older ones that are in heavy use, such as the A-10 are having the major components replaced during upgrades and depot maintenance. So they might be old, but the major components that would be the weakest, are new.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Ever the cynic. I'm glad of this news as it shows the ball is rolling to equip our new carriers. You really think cost is an issue when it comes to the military? They will spend your taxes, no matter how much it costs.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Either way I am glad they are being proactive in integrating it with existing platforms.

A step in the right direction to showing all the detractors that it can do the mission and do it well.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

it seems like your not a fan of the F-35. im not trying to be rude so please don't take it that way.

what are your reasons for not liking the aircraft?

if money wasn't counted then what are your reasons for not liking the F-35?

Any gps/laser guided bomb sent from the B-1.B-2,B-52 etc etc will hit the same spot no matter the aircraft dropping it, thats the point of smart weapons.

do you think we should just sit still in aircraft(or any other military projects) development while every other country is ALWAYS pushing for the next gen fighter?

what would you like to see in its place and what would it be able to do as far as stealth, weapons, etc
edit on 11-2-2016 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
The F35 is pretty much replacing the role of the F117 in having a first strike capability to allow the bombers to come in unhindered.This will soon become moot when the LRSB comes into play.Come in unseen and take out targets like AAA control,communications and runways without the enemy even knowing what hit them.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
my old stomping grounds.....the wind don't blow in Idaho, it sucks....I remember my roomy had the base commanders daughter in the room one night....he he

I guess I better go see....and I heard the helmet is the cool part...
edit on 11-2-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 11-2-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

edit on 11-2-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Ever the cynic. I'm glad of this news as it shows the ball is rolling to equip our new carriers. You really think cost is an issue when it comes to the military? They will spend your taxes, no matter how much it costs.

And go right on projecting force, killing everyone within the blast radius no matter what unjust campaign of world conquering testosterone the proponents of endless war make everyone endure.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

The other CAS platforms are just as effective, and some carry just as light a weapons load as the F-35 will.

At a fraction of the cost per 'platform'.

"Smart" weapons still miss. Thats why close up rockets and guns are utilized by gun ships and A10s.

Most of the platforms developed in the 80s…

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

General's wife: "Heres what an F35 will do to ya."

General faints during press conference

Wundewaffe didn't save the Third Reich either. Too much, too little, too late.

F35 as useful as bringing a knife to a gun fight

F35 already behind
edit on 12-2-2016 by intrptr because: link

The second Australian news article won't link direct…

Third one in search below entitled, "F35 already behind as Russia leads arms race"

google search

edit on 12-2-2016 by intrptr because: further:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

A knife to a gun fight. lol.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

A knife to a gun fight. lol.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

"Haters" bomb foreign countries… (lol)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Man! McBoeing's dis-information staff has done their job well. Keep slamming on the F-35 so that there is pressure to buy more F/A-18's.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

thats just propaganda.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Initial cost maybe. But they also won't survive long compared to the F-35.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

General's wife? Wow. Try Secretary of the Air Force, and if was a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join