It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football/soccer is a boring sport.Why do people care so much about it?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tuomptonite
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman
Bro- youre talking to me as if I'm a foreigner new to the game. Been a football fan for 32 years now. Watched my favorite team win 4 Super Bowls. Been to dozens of games. Grew up, went to school and played Pop Warner with a guy who became the starting fullback for the Philadelphia Eagles and caught passes from Donovan McNabb in the Super Bowl. I think I know a thing or two about the game and what it takes to play. Thanks for the expert insight though. By the way, "ugly American" is just a generic term used to describe someone who drives a big truck, drinks beer, eats pizza and watches football. You know, kind of how foreigners view us. In no way was I calling an entire country ugly. Especially not myself as I'm a handsome sob. The Niners make you vomit, why is that? The 5 SB trophies? Who's your team and what makes you a football expert, exactly?

I don't drink alcohol,rarely eat pizza,but I do watch american football.

Your an eagles/seagulls fan? I am so sorry. No superbowls philly. Hey your city got a world series title recently.
The eagles should have won that Superbowl against the patriots.The Phillies have the best baseball mascot!!!
Chip Kelly ruined the eagles by letting Desean McCoy go to buffalo. McCoy used to torture us yearly yet he lets him walk for nothing.
Our whole division was garbage anyway including our team The Jone and Jones Football Circus. We get a better pick than anyone in the NFC east so we win in losing! yay one win more than the browns!

I am a cowboys fan.
edit on 14-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Well, if Texas was its own country it would be like the 13th most wealthiest country in the world. Plus Texans are notoriously passionate (or patriotic) about anything originating from Texas.

An capped sport that plays just 16 regular season games should be blown out of the water by a soccer team that is not capped and watched in multiple countries with a VASTLY better team. The Cowboys haven't won a superbowl in 20 years yet it is more valuable than an extremely talented soccer club that wins more regularly.

So using commonsense, you would have to assume the Dallas cowboys are worth so much because of the culture and wealth within the state they reside, rather than it being the result of the quality of American football over other professional sports.
They could have gone to Rangers(baseball),Stars(ice hockey),FC Dallas(soccer/football), or Mavericks(basketball) games.
Anyway... the only thing the NFL has going for it imho, is the cheerleaders. I might actually have some kind of interest professional team sports, if more of them involved hot young women running around in short skirts.
You can rarely see the cheerleaders on TV. The majority of the money a NFL franchise gets is from local/national tv contracts
Doesn't go well for your argument though, that American football needs cheerleaders to keep people interested in the game, lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Nah man, I'm a 49er fan. Been a 49er faithful since '84, age 7. I grew up with a guy who played for the Eagles team that lost that super bowl to the Patriots. He was their starting FB for a couple years. Was pretty cool to watch a childhood buddy line up with the likes of McNabb and T.O. in the big game.
But yeah, my Niners haven't won the super bowl in 22 long years now. But I got to see em win 4 SB in my first 10 years as a fan. Growing up watching Montana, Rice, Lott, Craig, Young etc was pretty cool. My former boss was friends with Charles Haley and Charles gave us some sweet tickets to a Monday night game against the Lions. Best seats ever, 50 yard line, Niners sideline, 2nd row at The Stick! Barry Sanders was stifled while Garrison Hearst ran wild all night. The only bad part was being seated right next to T.O.'s entourage. Very rude and disrespectful bunch. They were booing and upset that Their boy didn't get any targets. Got to go on the field after the game and into the players parking lot. Met Merton Hanks, Haley, Gary Plummer and several others. Literally rubbed elbows with some of my childhood idols.
So you're a Cowboy fan, we were huge rivals at one time. I'm too young to remember "The Catch" but I sure remember your 'Boys beating up my Niners in the early 90's. We finally got a bit of revenge in 94 when Steve Young finally won himself a Super Bowl. If it wasn't for the Cowboys, my Niners would be sitting on 7 Lombardi trophies I bet. And likewise, if not for the Niners, your Cowboys would have 7 or 8 as well. That rivalry really made both teams great. Hope someday our teams can return to their past glory but my Niners are gonna be horrible for awhile. I don't think Chip Kelly is a good hire but time will tell.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Tuomptonite

Yeah I remember us jobbing to the packers in the 90's. I come from north texas and you were either a cowboys or oilers/texans fan.

The niners are were really good until their GM almost destroyed their team. Football is good when the Packers,Bears,Cowboys,Raiders,Giants,RedScums,Colts and 49ers are good.

Them letting Harbough go was pure idiocy. He got you to the superbowl and a nfc championship why fire him?
They should have fired that GM.

Jerry Jones needs to fire himself from GM and hire a someone to do it.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Yup, firing Harbaugh was the dumbest move ever. I guess Harbaugh was disrespectful to the owner, boy wonder Jed York.I don't care how big of a prick Jim is, the guy wins. Rumor has it that the players got tired of Harbaughs intensity- well I woulda got some new players then! Then they follow up firing JH by hiring that turd Tomsula. Us Niner fans were insulted and held Jed accountable by not showing up to games. We'll see if he opens the purse strings and brings in some good free agents.
I guess you know what it's like to have a meddling owner, though. Jerry Jones just needs to get out the way and let the 'Boys play. I feel bad for Romo, that collarbone can't take much more abuse. I don't know if Jerry is planning on drafting a qb but he needs to figure out a backup plan. At least your squad has a quality Qb. If Romo can stay healthy, the Boys will be good. More than I can say about my Niners.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Tuomptonite
Soccer is marketed horribly here. They just assume you know the mechanics of the game right away.
At least in american football they do a better job of explaining what is what to casual viewers who might not know the rules or plays.

Well it is just a game I don't take it seriously though. I am not one of the players and I am not getting paid anything to watch strangers play on a field 800 miles away. It matters way more for the people actually playing it.

esports are WAY better than any athletic sport IMO.

It is good entertainment though. Another year another storyline.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

a large portion of the valuation of both the Cowboys and Yankees was due to their merchandising proceeds.

Which is also the same for English Premier League Football Clubs.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
Which is also the same for English Premier League Football Clubs.

Still not the point I was making. The ability of the Cowboys to sell and retain merchandising proceeds is a key contributor to their overall valuation as the top franchise.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Still not the point I was making. The ability of the Cowboys to sell and retain merchandising proceeds is a key contributor to their overall valuation as the top franchise

Again the same as any English Premier League Football Club.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

The exception being the Cowboy's are valued higher.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The exception being the Cowboy's are valued higher.

The business model is the same however.

As for the value, see my earlier post regarding player salaries.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
As for the value, see my earlier post regarding player salaries.

Which only adds to the Cowboy's valuation.

posted on Feb, 16 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I can tell you can't watch soccer like you watch american football. It is a different experence.

American football is like a action movie or network tv suspense miniseries. Every game is a stand alone episode that promotes suspense,unpredictability, and sudden changes of destiny. You have to watch it like a chess game. Attack-counter, feint-counter,bait and switch,disguises,field position(chess version of positioning),unlimited substitutions allow for very specialized formations(like chess openings,defenses,gambits).

Association football is like a graphic novel/manga or an anime series.One episode/game is just a part of an overall storyline(season). You can't watch just one episode/ game and get the full benefit of soccer. Destiny is determined at the end of the season/story arc. One game is just one volume in the manga/book/comicbook arc. The whole season
is a entire arc. Soccer is similar to a boxing match with two people beating(fighting through the defense for a chance to score) each other to a pulp only to score a draw or majority win. Sometime a fighter scores a knockdown(GOOOOAAAAL!) sometime the fighter scores a TKO(a lop-sided blowout) maybe just a draw(0-0 draw 1-1 draw 2-2 draw.). You have to watch soccer like a boxing match not like a action movie.

Look at Messi dribbling around people at very high speed and dexterity and tell me that doesn't look like a super saiyan or something from naruto. Messi is OVER 9000!!!!

You can't look at soccer like you would a stand alone action movie. You can't look at American football like a manga series/comicbook arc/novel series.
edit on 16-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I can tell you can't watch soccer like you watch american football. It is a different experenc

Well football ( soccer ) must be doing something right.

Football is watched and played by billions throughout the world.
Not many outside The U.S. are really bothered about American Football. That's just the be all and end all of it really.

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

American football is has not been promoted outside the USA at all until recently(20-30 years ago). Soccer has been promoted for over 100 years internationally.Only recently has American football been promoted to non-US markets. IFAF is played by 54 countries. The game is growing outside the US at a slow steady rate.
The NFL is putting a franchise in London.
It takes decades of promotion to build a consistent fan following when you have none.

edit on 18-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

(post by tracyg removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 20 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tracyg

Fantasy football is popular here.

Technically its illegal. But I don't bet on sports or anything.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
No sport is as exciting as football (soccer)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
No sport is as exciting as football (soccer)

Exactly. I would rather watch no sport.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Life can be rough at times.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join