It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football/soccer is a boring sport.Why do people care so much about it?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

I have watched a few football games. I just don't understand why people find this sport exciting.

I could say the same for American Football but hey , horses for courses.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

I suggest watching good teams play, and international cups/tournaments.

Clubs to watch:
Barcelona (best team out there right now, impressive players and alot of talentskills)
Athletico Madrid
Real Madrid
Manchester United
Bayern Munich

Have you watched Manchester United under Van Gaal?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Chipkin9

Football is played world wide because it's a great strategic sport, almost like chess.

Exactly. I like when I am playing chess and I check my opponents king and it falls down and pretends it is injured.

Hahaha. Great reply.

Okay. I think everyone knows that some football players are way over dramatic when it comes to being tackled.

Some players think this will influence the referee to hand out a card, where he may not have if the player got straight back on his feet.

All football fans agree that this is disgusting behaviour from some football players though, and is an individual thing.

There are cases of extreme injuries caused by tackles though; that genuinely leave a player in real distress.

So not every player is an over theatrical wimp

It takes nothing away from the sport itself

edit on 12-2-2016 by Chipkin9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
a reply to: Chipkin9

Anytime you want play online..Im game. Ill warn you though. I used to win trophies back in Junior High Chess tournaments.

Also, if you want to take potshots at me, shoot at Hockey and Snowboarding. as a Canadian, I dont even like American "rugby." Not as much as you seem to, anyway.

Not to be argumentative my friend, but it was you who was having personal potshots

You said I knew nothing about chess because you disagreed on my opinion on why I think Football is more popular than American Football.

The only potshots I had was about the sport of American Football itself, nothing personal aimed in your direction

I still stand by my opinion that if people want to call Football a cheap sport and say it is the reason it is more popular than American football; then they are delusional.

Metallicus said: "I think its world-wide popularity is due to the inexpensive nature of the game. Poor people can play it almost anywhere with a single ball and a couple of sticks."

So by that same line of thinking I could say the same about American football, cheap and inexpensive, and could be played in the poorest countries in the world; yet it isn't.

So Metallicus' comment is moot

I'd also would rather watch Hockey than American Football, definitely more entertaining.

As for the Chess request, I think I'll pass...I don't want to embarrass you

Nah just kidding, I still suck, I'm still learning about my openings as I haven't been playing long

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
(good)Ice hockey is more exciting than Soccer.
(good)Tennis is more exciting than Soccer.
(good)Baseball is more exciting than Soccer
good soccer is somewhat entertaining.Bad or mediocre Soccer is boring(almost unwatchable).
American football is more exciting to watch on TV compared to any soccer/world football game on TV.

This years NFC Divisional game with the Packers vs Cardinals is why Americans love American football. Impossible passes. Coins that won't flip. Larry Fitzgerald heroics in overtime.

Come on. Aaron Rodgers double hail maries with time running out with pass rushers in his face to put the packers in overtime with a touchdown, is more entertaining than anything in soccer. You know how ridiculously difficult that was? Was the TD in triple coverage?

No one in the world could have made those throws. It was insane.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I respect all atheletes of all sports. I admire the dedication, skill and athletic ability required to play any sport at a high level. Of course, I tend to follow our Big 3 (football, baseball and basketball) the closest, as these were the sports I grew up playing. My first team sport as a kid was actually soccer and I absolutely loved playing it. At some point though, it became "uncool" to play and us boys gravitated toward football. The soccer matches I watch nowadays are my 10 year old daughters. The action isn't always the greatest but it's amazing to watch your lil one playing a sport they love. I don't watch much pro soccer, as I have no emotional investment into it. Occasionally I will watch a bit of it on tv as I can appreciate the skills of the players involved. I'm your typical "ugly American", who religiously watches my San Francisco 49ers every Sunday during football season. Growing up, I dreamed of being the next Joe Montana. My dreams were dashed quickly after a couple years of youth league. One of my teammates (who went on to become an NFL starting fullback) was bigger, stronger and faster than the rest of us and knew how to deliver the most violent tackles. It sucked to match up with him in tackling drills at practice! I didn't possess the killer instinct required to play the game and I suspect I suffered several concussions.
I have a young son and if he decides he wants to play football, I'm not sure I'd let him. The game is simply too violent and has a shady side to it. Nobody wants to admit the truth that the best tackles are the ones that knock out or injure opponents. The violent hits that "blow up" the opponent are what coaches and fans love to see. The "macho man" locker room mentality encourages aggression and general d-baggery. This is not a gentlemans game. I will encourage my son to play soccer and steer clear of football, for sure.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I would love to see an " American Football " player try and do this

Or this

Remember the games is called " Football " The Yanks have turned it into " Handball "

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I personally think both soccer and American football are boring games... Aussie rules is a far better game than both imo, fast paced and goals are being scored constantly.

I have always wondered why Americans never do any good in popular international team sports though? I mean, we can see from the Olympics that Americans a generally good at sport, but there international soccer, rugby and cricket teams generally suck.

btw, you think soccer's boring, you should try watching a cricket game, its like watching paint dry, but people from all over the world are also obsessed with it, just like soccer... each to there own, I suppose.

I've saw Australian rules football on youtube. It looks pretty fun.

-High scoring. Check.
-Physicality. Check.
-Strategy. Check.
-Fast paced. Check.

They should air AFL in the US.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

I would love to see an " American Football " player try and do this

Or this

Remember the games is called " Football " The Yanks have turned it into " Handball "

These throws may never happen again.

New York Giants Helmet catch to defeat a Patriots team that won 18 games straight. A team that barely made the playoffs beat The New England Patriots on the last game of the season for the SuperBowl title.

Odell Beckam's insane one handed catch running and jumping full speed behind his head with someone covering him AND staying in bounds. This is insanely hard and almost no one can do that in practice let alone a real game against a division rival. It had to be thrown perfectly and be caught perfectly or it would have failed.

edit on 13-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

edit on 13-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tuomptonite
I respect all atheletes of all sports. I admire the dedication, skill and athletic ability required to play any sport at a high level. Of course, I tend to follow our Big 3 (football, baseball and basketball) the closest, as these were the sports I grew up playing. My first team sport as a kid was actually soccer and I absolutely loved playing it. At some point though, it became "uncool" to play and us boys gravitated toward football.There is no money/scholarships in soccer. Young players realize this and adjust accordingly. The soccer matches I watch nowadays are my 10 year old daughters. The action isn't always the greatest but it's amazing to watch your lil one playing a sport they love. I don't watch much pro soccer, as I have no emotional investment into it.THE main problem with pro-soccer in the USA. Occasionally I will watch a bit of it on tv as I can appreciate the skills of the players involved. I'm your typical "ugly American" Most people are average looking not ugly regardless of the country., who religiously watches my San Francisco 49ers*vomits* every Sunday during football season. Growing up, I dreamed of being the next Joe Montana. My dreams were dashed quickly after a couple years of youth league. One of my teammates (who went on to become an NFL starting fullback) was bigger, stronger and faster than the rest of us and knew how to deliver the most violent tackles.1 It sucked to match up with him in tackling drills at practice! I didn't possess the killer instinct required to play the game and I suspect I suffered several concussions. play quarterback. You pretty much can't touch a QB anymore. You can receive concussions in soccer too with the constant headbutting of the ball,elbows,knees,falls,kicks to the face etc they are both violent sports that can be dangerous
I have a young son and if he decides he wants to play football, I'm not sure I'd let him.Your their parent its your call. That is ok. The game is simply too violentRugby? MMA? Boxing? Ice Hockey? Kick Boxing? Wrestling? and has a shady side to it. Nobody wants to admit the truth that the best tackles are the ones that knock out or injure opponents.Like in Hockey,Boxing,MMA and Rugby The violent hits that "blow up" the opponent are what coaches and fans love to see.Not really. It is just one aspect of the entertainment. The physicality. No one wants to see people get injured or knocked out. It's the tactical nature of the sport that people find entertaining. The unpredictability and suspense. The "macho man" locker room mentality encourages aggressionThat does not fly in the pros. It is more like keep your head down,mouth shut, and do your job. Most players are hard hat/ Lunch pail type players not loud pompous jackasses playing it up for TV and general d-baggery. This is not a gentlemans game.It's a day at the office. You come to work watch hours of tape trying to get better. Practice drills. Study more hours of tape.Physical conditioning. It's 110% hard work and dedication.Your right it is not a gentlemen's sport it is a "hard hat and bring your lunch pail and work pretty much all day to be prepared" sport I will encourage my son to play soccer and steer clear of football, for sure.

Only 0.2% of high school players will make it to the NFL. You just can't be big,fast and athletic and make it. You have to be big,fast,athletic and skilled to make it. No skill = No career. The defenses are just too complex on the highest levels for raw athleticism and power to help you alone. Maybe in college but not in the NFL.

www.ask.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I'M SORRY BUT HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that we got that out of the way don't you just LOVE watching sports where people run for 2 seconds AND THEN YOU GET YOUR ADVERTISEMENTS FOR 20-30 MINUTES?? This goes on for 5-6 hours and you watch guys throw an egg between them for like a few moments of that time. This # is so commercialized and boring I'd rather die than watch the big overrated piece of crap called the superbowl. Yep I said it...and don't even get me started on baseball, you got to be a special type of ..... to enjoy watching that junk!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Verse
I'M SORRY BUT HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that we got that out of the way don't you just LOVE watching sports where people run for 2 seconds AND THEN YOU GET YOUR ADVERTISEMENTS FOR 20-30 MINUTES?? This goes on for 5-6 hours and you watch guys throw an egg between them for like a few moments of that time. This # is so commercialized and boring I'd rather die than watch the big overrated piece of crap called the superbowl. Yep I said it...and don't even get me started on baseball, you got to be a special type of ..... to enjoy watching that junk!

Like I said we can care less if you don't like our sports. Baseball can be boring unless you watch good teams play(pitching duels,pitchers playing mind games with strike zone and choice of pitch,good base play, superman catches, triple play,walk off home-runs, manufacturing runs in a defensively dominated game,stealing bases,the threat of stealing bases).

No one watches because of the commercials. Our form of football has 3 phases(offense,defense,special teams) your form of football has just 2(the attackers vs the defenders). All three phases can score points. You are not safe in any phase of the game.

The Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world.

www.bbc.com...

"World's most valuable sports teams - Forbes (September 2015)
1. Dallas Cowboys (£2.6bn)
2. Real Madrid (£2.1bn)
3. New England Patriots (£2.07bn)
3. New York Yankees (£2.07bn)
5. Barcelona (£2bn)"

"Handegg" just beat your soccer and its only played in one country and has a salary cap. The elite soccer clubs should be blowing them away with no salary cap and being watched in multiple countries. I mean "handegg" sucks so much an american football team is valued at $4 billion higher than the most valuable football team.

I wonder why?

edit on 13-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: fixed something

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Bro- youre talking to me as if I'm a foreigner new to the game. Been a football fan for 32 years now. Watched my favorite team win 4 Super Bowls. Been to dozens of games. Grew up, went to school and played Pop Warner with a guy who became the starting fullback for the Philadelphia Eagles and caught passes from Donovan McNabb in the Super Bowl. I think I know a thing or two about the game and what it takes to play. Thanks for the expert insight though. By the way, "ugly American" is just a generic term used to describe someone who drives a big truck, drinks beer, eats pizza and watches football. You know, kind of how foreigners view us. In no way was I calling an entire country ugly. Especially not myself as I'm a handsome sob. The Niners make you vomit, why is that? The 5 SB trophies? Who's your team and what makes you a football expert, exactly?

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Well, if Texas was its own country it would be like the 13th most wealthiest country in the world. Plus Texans are notoriously passionate (or patriotic) about anything originating from Texas.

So using commonsense, you would have to assume the Dallas cowboys are worth so much because of the culture and wealth within the state they reside, rather than it being the result of the quality of American football over other professional sports.

Anyway... the only thing the NFL has going for it imho, is the cheerleaders. I might actually have some kind of interest professional team sports, if more of them involved hot young women running around in short skirts.

Doesn't go well for your argument though, that American football needs cheerleaders to keep people interested in the game, lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

The Cowboys and another American team on that list, the Yankees, are worth that much because they own their own facilities, food services and above all, are widely popular outside of their home geographies. I cannot tell you how many times I have been in Europe and saw someone with a Yankees cap and greeted them in English only to find out they are not American.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well that's a very good point... back in the 90's when I was in primary (elementary) school, I used to have a Yankee's & Orlando magic jersey, as well as a Chicago bulls cap and Lakers beanie. They were extremely 'in' clothing at that point in time, even though people rarely followed the actual sports teams.

I guess American sports teams have just been very successful in turning themselves into internationally recognized brand names.
edit on 14-2-2016 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Part of that is the amount of success they have had in winning championships, more so for the Yankees than the Cowboys in recent decades.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

The Dallas Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the world.

I wonder why?

Well here is one reason why.

NFL average wages £1.3 million per annum

www.businessinsider.com...

Average Football Players Wages per annum £6 million.

That's on average of £150 million per annum being paid more to Football Players. That's money that goes directly off the value the club.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I have been in Europe and saw someone with a Yankees cap and greeted them in English only to find out they are not American.

Nothing unique about that.

You can travel anywhere in the world and see Non-English people wearing Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal etc football shirts.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
Nothing unique about that.

That was not my point, my point was that a large portion of the valuation of both the Cowboys and Yankees was due to their merchandising proceeds.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join