It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seismic Risks For Oregonians In The Cascadia Subduction Zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Reading about the Cascadia Subduction Zone which has been in the news lately. Normally I wouldn't pay much mind to it but I now live in Oregon.

Its gargantuan size and potential power amaze earthquake experts, who say it could cause the worst natural disaster in the history of North America...if it ruptures entirely.

This quake-maker sits at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, where the seabed meets the North American tectonic plate. In all, it stretches 700 miles along the Pacific Northwest, from British Columbia's Vancouver Island to Washington to Oregon to northern California's Cape Mendocino.

In 1700, the Cascadia unleashed one of the world's biggest earthquakes on record which caused a tsunami so big it damaged villages in coastal Japan.

Experts say the "big one" could hit at any time and a large quake could cause a tsunami resulting in 11,000 deaths and 26,000 injuries according to one FEMA model.

For those of you living in Oregon, I found this site: Aftershock
The site allows you to enter your Oregon address and you will receive a custom report on seismic risks for your area. It's actually got me thinking of disaster preparation for the first time.

edit on 11-2-2016 by jtrenthacker because: words is hard

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
All the scientists will say is that it is "inevitable," but that may be 1,000 years from now--or tomorrow. If you REALLY are concerned about The Big One, you would move to a shield area that is far away from any subduction zone or super volcano. Of course you can take precautions and some preppie stuff, but if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, none of it will matter. I don't worry about such stuff.

And I live within sight of Mt. Rainier, the most dangerous mountain in the continental US.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Agreed. I'm not saying that I lay awake at night wondering if it will hit, it was just interesting reading. Also, I think we should all have some supplies handy just in case of disaster. It just got me finally thinking about such things.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Observing the last 2 earthquakes in Taiwan and Nepal, I think the dangers posed by earthquakes are limited in a sense.

1 - You have to live in a sturdy house or building that's not going to collapse. Once you get outside into the open air with nothing that can fall on you, you are pretty much safe.

2 - You have to live away from any areas that can cause a potential landslide or avalanche.

3 - In the Kyoto earthquake, there were also the fires afterwards that ravaged the city.

I think apart from those things, the other risks are fairly minimal.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Remember , Oregon is a big state.

East of the Cascades it looks like the biggest problem expected is how to help the quake victims in the west.

The estimated damage in my community would be negligible according to the Aftershock report.

THE MOMENT
The scenario: Oregon's long-awaited magnitude 9 earthquake has finally struck, unleashing a sustained shaking from British Columbia to the tip of California. Oregon was unprepared – and your community feels the strain as thousands of Oregonians look east of the Cascades for help.

INTENSITY
The shaking here is moderate. You feel it. It wakes up anyone who's sleeping. Books and knick-knacks are falling off shelves. Windows and dishes are breaking.

YOUR COMMUNITY’S RECOVERY
Experts project it could take several weeks to restore your community to its normal function based on damage to pipes, infrastructure, and the transportation corridors needed for recovery efforts.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm in Hillsboro (close to Portland) which is about 90 minutes away from the coast.

The shaking here is very strong. Are you in a new, seismically designed building? If so, damage is negligible. Old brick buildings that haven't been reinforced are failing. Most buildings constructed before the '90s are damaged but usable. Buildings constructed before the '70s are likely more damaged. Many bridges are damaged and impassable.

Experts project it could take several months to restore your community to its normal function based on damage to pipes, infrastructure, and the transportation corridors needed for recovery efforts.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I just moved from Santa Rosa CA to Austin TX but CA is my native home state. If the Big One waits several hundred years to release all the pressure then the damage will be minimal because most of the old areas will be under water. The only unknown is just how fast the oceans will rise and how far and by 2030 we'll have a pretty good idea of that by then.

In the meantime I suggest everybody take a chill, drink a cold one and put some more meat on the barbecue. My best,

top topics

join