It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic is mislabled science?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
so then in that regard if there is religions that don't accept that only one god exists how come they have the reputed ability to perform magic.
Do they because they believe in more than one god have more powerful magic. For example the egyptians have a number of gods the main one being ra. Then theres osiris, annubis, koth, necrophetes, and so one.

Cug

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magickesists
so then in that regard if there is religions that don't accept that only one god exists how come they have the reputed ability to perform magic.

No one said they didn't. You asked about the type of magick on that website. And I gave you an answer for that type of Magick.

The types of Magick are many and varied. What your doing is like taking an answer about Christians and applying it to Hindus

[edit on 23-1-2005 by Cug]

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
without the rest of the question the one line you posted in response does not fully contain my question. What i was trying to ask is if the egyptians for instance with more than one god have different magic, like variety. But with the christian sense theres really only one god but different categories of his existance. Like if you asked for the power from the virgin mary it might be more of a healing magic. If it were from jesus the son it might be the power of life and death. If from the father maybe it would be the ability to create and destroy. But with say the egyptians they don't have one god who has different parts they just have different gods. so how does that affect there magic persay if it is channelled through a god?

Cug

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
In exactly the way you mentioned.

Sorry for the one liner but one linc pretty much covers the question.

gth

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Do they because they believe in more than one god have more powerful magic. For example the egyptians have a number of gods the main one being ra. Then theres osiris, annubis, koth, necrophetes, and so one.

Actually the Egyptians did believe in One God a bit like Christians (replace angels with gods and thus you have a same source where everything emanated..)

"The story of the Creation is supposed to be told by the god Neb-er-tcher, This name means the "Lord to the uttermost limit," and the character of the god suggests that the word "limit" refers to time and space, and that he was, in fact, the Everlasting God of the Universe. This god's name occurs in Coptic texts, and then he appears as one who possesses all the attributes which are associated by modern nations with God Almighty. Where and how Neb-er-tcher existed is not said, but it seems as if he was believed to have been an almighty and invisible power which filled all space. It seems also that a desire arose in him to create the world, and in order to do this he took upon himself the form of the god Khepera, who from first to last was regarded as the Creator, par excellence, among all the gods known to the Egyptians."

[ Source:
Legends of the Gods
by E. A. Wallis Budge,

www.sacred-texts.com... ]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
well that is something i did not no and that ra is the god who travereses the river between the living and the dead worlds between night and day is another neat fact.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow whatever happened here. Where did all the people go to.

Sorry this is a sad attempt to pull this thread from this depths by writing on it again.

I do have atleast on question though. How nuts would you have to be to alter the reality around you with your mind?

And how would you know that it's not you who is being altered?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It is completely absurd to label magic as a science. There is nothing scientific about it. It is mere deception and nothing more. Magicians trick the brain into believing a specific scenario exists.

The eye is a wonderful tool of observation, but it does not capture everything within its range, particularly when it is distracted.

This raises interesting questions, possibly for a fresh thread -

1. Does the brain record everything the eyes see?

2. Is eidetic memory the proof that the brain does record everything?

3. Is eidetic recall a skill which can be taught, or is it unique to specific individuals?

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think the movie Donnie Darko is a great example of alter realities.... lets be real, whos to say that everything we see now isnt real. That its a figment of our imagination... its almost like when you see bums running around sceaming at unknown objects... in their mind there is really something there. Or when you meditate and you are taken to another place... what about remote healers? I think there is a degree of transformation, I think its all about energy... like the movie Powder... that was complete energy... ( I watch a lot of movies instead of TV) and what about the mayans?? an entire civilization disapeared over night, and they were as advanced as the egyptians... I know there are special "beings" in this world... and they can see what we cannot. Why would we degrade them or not believe them. Believing is seeing. I think if we opened our hearts and unblocked our third eye then we would be open to recieving more. Until then we are just a bunch of chickens with our heads cut off. (not trying to be mean...)

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Those are interesting questions bibliophile.
I have one to add,
Does the brain remember the imaginary visuals ore the actual visual stimulation more.

As in would you remeber a hallucination more than a real event.

Otherwise i'm surprised i got responses on that so fast.

Isisluna, it sounds like you read the concious oobe thread.
Interesting twist as well.

Meditation brings great wisdom, Astral projection I haven't attained but i imagine you would be able to see these energies and a whole other aspect to reality.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by isisluna

[1.] ...when you see bums running around sceaming at unknown objects... in their mind there is really something there...

[2.] I think if we opened our hearts and unblocked our third eye then we would be open to recieving more.

1. Imbalanced brain chemistry;

2. An altered state of consciousness, if such a thing exists in the context you discuss.

Is an altered state of consciousness, in the context you discuss, merely a shift in brain chemistry? I believe it is.

Remember, the human body is a biological battery. When you do certain things to it - use drugs, dehydrate it, etc. - it behaves/reacts other than it should.

Note - Italics added to remind members of the semantics involved.

[edit on 4/21/2006 by Bibliophile]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   

...Does the brain remember the imaginary visuals or the actual visual stimulation more.

As in would you remeber a hallucination more than a real event...

Only a schizophrenic or a user of illicit drugs can answer that question. Since I am neither, I defer to the experts, who will likely remain anonymous.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I in no way was making a reference and find it intrigueing you would point out the whole subject of drugs. Quite apparently you are no longer anonymous. LOL

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I in no way was making a reference and find it intrigueing you would point out the whole subject of drugs. Quite apparently you are no longer anonymous. LOL

As I stated, I am neither schizophrenic nor a user of illegal drugs. I did make that clear. I understand why no one would admit to either of these things and I would not expect them to do so.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I love raw energy and it is all around us... and about the bum comment I felt like a retard later in the day for stating that... especially as I was down town watching them cuss at random unknown objects.... astral projection very nice... I love the Celestine Prophecy.... awesome book. And then tenth insight...

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
By the way, I apologize bibliophile for attacking you and not the argument.
I had to though, I felt I had earned a certain amount of stupidity after the amount of work i do in a kitchen right now lol.

Anyway, I'll get back on this subject with one question. How muc of this thread have you guys read?

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   

...Anyway, I'll get back on this subject with one question. How muc of this thread have you guys read?

I have read the entire thread. I never post without having done so.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
First of all, the "We only use 10% of our brain" is a myth. It's been explained a bazillion times, jsut use google to find out.

True, I believe. But then, I used to believe a lot that now turns out to be a lie Maybe this is a lie that we only use 10% or maybe the lie is that we don't - who to believe any more? - en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join