It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity wave announcement live now.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: Nochzwei

you are alive aren't you? the moment is now

What, you mean your Nobel Prize came in the mail? Congratulations!
Lol, nice one

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

This was already proven over a 100 years ago by Maxwell, Tesla, Heaviside even Russel new this and it had nothing to do with gravitational waves.

Would you like to state, in short paragraphs of your own words, what Maxwell, Tesla, Heaviside and ‘Russel’ (I suppose you mean Bertrand Russell?) actually proved? I would be particularly interested in what fundamental discoveries in physics you attribute to Tesla and Russell.

edit on 12/2/16 by Astyanax because: why rub it in.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: InMyShell

The next Nobel prize for physics is going to be a no brainer.

This is the most pointless yet significant scientific discovery in modern history-It's one of those 'I told you so' moments in science that validates a theory that was long suspected to be correct. I bet those responsible are beaming with pride and so they should be-well done.

Now let's move to M theory.

edit on 12-2-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: tkwasny

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

originally posted by: Kratos40
I'm just impressed that Einstein "detected" through brute math and physics, over a century ago that this phenomena existed. Now its proven.
Speechless.

Nothing has been proven. They just discovered a reproducible observation but they have no idea what it is. The child has to have a name.
In a couple years they will make an announcement that it was totally something else they observed, though this time it will not make the headline.
They just need more funding to keep their employees from losing their jobs.

It's settled science all detractors must now be declared insane and have all their citizens rights removed.

Oh wait.

This isn't the climate change thread I wanted to post in. Sorry

Just like any other scientific claim that has been published, this claim will be peer reviewed and other scientists will attempt to find holes in the findings or the methodology. That's the way science works.

You're welcome to do your part in attempting to either confirm or refute the science behind this claim.

edit on 2/12/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

exactly, to people not in the same field we will ponder what -if anything- can be wrong with the result. Those in the same field ill be the ones trying to truly debunk or confirm.

Much like the EU people went quiet after their prediction of the Rosetta mission being zapped by static electricity failed, The non-GR people will have to come up with something good to throw this result out of the window.

More than candles and thermal expansion that is for sure.
edit on 12-2-2016 by ErosA433 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=20364999]cavtrooper7

HAS the math involving gravity now been verified?
Verified as in a measurable quantity they can now use for engineering?
Lol, this is bunk as you suspect correctly

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

This is the most pointless yet significant scientific discovery in modern history-

I want that on a T shirt.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm sure the new craze at Sporting events will now be the "Gravity Wave", replacing the standard "wave"....

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=20366021]ErosA433 The non-GR people will have to come up with something good to throw this result out of the window.

More than candles and thermal expansion that is for sure.
Lol, I luv ya

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

ahaha well all we hear is

"GR is bunk, do an experiment that proves it!"

"OK here are the results of said experiment"

"OOOOOH its still bunk" *puts fingers in hears and closes eyes "Na Na Na im not listening, you guys are fools"

Soooooo ya
Enjoy.

Will be interesting to continue the search with more LIGO stations and wait for another event for some comparison.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
So they have Just switch't it on! and this?
and they say its AT light speed!
a atom did a wobble!
they have Not done any error cheking!
it could be Any thing!
um! sounds over the top to me!
and one for luck !

edit on 12-2-2016 by buddha because: !

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
negative. einsteins equations are not used in any space flights
a reply to: dragonridr

You obviously never used einstiens equations have you?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

The next Nobel prize for physics is going to be a no brainer.

This is the most pointless yet significant scientific discovery in modern history-It's one of those 'I told you so' moments in science that validates a theory that was long suspected to be correct. I bet those responsible are beaming with pride and so they should be-well done.

Now let's move to M theory.

This allows us to develop a theory of everything for now we have just gained a better understanding of gravity and confirmed spacetime curves. Knowing it is a lot different then suspecting it now we can start spending money on manipulating it. It also allows us to see back further in time then ever before now that we know they are there. As far as the detractors here this was confirmed from two locations 3000 miles apart. There were actually two detections

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
they have Not done any error cheking!
it could be Any thing!

They did take 5 months to error check and check their methodology between gathering the data and publishing their findings.

Maybe someone will find an error in their work in the reviews of their work that will surely follow the publication of their findings, but it's not like they didn't look for errors or look for other mundane causes for the findings before publishing. They discussed their error checking methods and data acquisition confirmation methods at the press conference.

edit on 2/12/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: 5 months, not 6 months

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Love all these posts "THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING"

says someone who has no understanding of how any of the equipment or analysis is performed....

They as you said Soylent, do a hell of a lot of error checking and head scratching to be sure they couldnt rule out their signal. so far, no offerings of "its not real" have been at all credible.

But there is still time, and as we said before, real science is about these checks, and those checks will continue.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

The real point is that there are two physically separated, independent, detectors. If they get signals at the same time, it's not likely to be a mistake.

It's very similar to the famous supernova in 1987, SN1987A, where we were able to directly detect neutrinos from the supernova in multiple worldwide laboratories. I remember it nearly real time, there was a big excitement in the astrophysics department where I was an undergrad.

It's an amazing achivement for astrophysics: predict some extraordinarily exotic phenomena, just from basic laws of physics, and have those specific theories directly supported by concrete physical evidence on Earth for a few milliseconds when you get lucky.

edit on 12-2-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Something I have been working on for some time, but have trouble getting traction on is called by some the Grand Unification Theory

These guys may have detected a gravity wave (at the onset it was announced with some trepidation) or they may have detected an effect or wave within what I have coined “the Great Soup”. All joking aside there are things in science, engineering, and calculations that just don’t make sense with what we currently know.

My theory is that gravity, electromagnetics, and electric fields are all connected in some way that we do not yet see. These may all be manifestations (effects) of one central “Soup”, or perhaps the one central Soup affects of all those 3 things, and those three thing really stand on their own. Or maybe the Soup only effects or causes 2 out 3.

My evidence for the existence of this Great Soup, it that there is an effect that cannot be explained by any traditional theory, which is that when smallish and very fast moving comets or asteroids whiz by our solar system, even if they are not big or don’t get close to earth, they often cause substantial earthquakes. They send ripples or a shock wave through the Great Soup, like a shock wave off a hyper sonic jet.

Now it is possible that this could also be a “gravity wave” but considering the size of the collision necessary to create a barely detectable wave, that sways things away from gravity wave and towards “Great Soup”

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
As far as the detractors here this was confirmed from two locations 3000 miles apart. There were actually two detections

I think slight oscillations in sea level could set off these detectors, even atmospheric pressure as they are on the same continent ... sounds like a big money scheme to keep some jobs... I would think with the LIGO setup be best off in space than on earth.

edit on 12-2-2016 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

originally posted by: dragonridr
As far as the detractors here this was confirmed from two locations 3000 miles apart. There were actually two detections

I think slight oscillations in sea level could set off these detectors, even atmospheric pressure ...

It's measuring a warp in actual spacetime, not "slight oscillations in sea level" or "atmospheric pressure".

sounds like a big money scheme to keep some jobs...

I guess if you have no idea what the experiment is about or how academic research is conducted, sure...

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

I know what it's supposedly detecting..... and I highly doubt they are, because LIGO is not that complicated of a setup...
I could make a DIY Michelson Interferometer in 5 minutes.... psh...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join