It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity wave announcement live now.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

So has it NOW been assessed to mathmatics?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Not at all, mass is energy, the total energy of the universe is based on the mass (latent energy), kinetic energy and radiation.

Mass is not energy. Mass is convertible into energy.

The comparison was not with the total energy of the Universe but with the total energy (output) of all the stars in the Universe. Or (rather obviously) to a data-based approximation thereof.

You presume to know who has phd's, patents and has worked in gravity interferometry, I suppose "channelling" is a science now?

I presume nothing of the kind. I merely assume that people who are cleverer and more knowledgeable than I, and whose careers and futures are dependent on the quality of their work, and who are contenders for the next Nobel Prize in physics as it happens, do not make ill-founded statements based on guesswork. Apparently you disagree with me, but judging by the fundamental deficiencies in your own understanding, it is safe to regard your opinion as less likely to be correct than such people’s. And in this particular case, as I have shown, you are demonstrably wrong.

As for finding out who works in gravity interferometry, you can do it easily enough with a little google. It’s a tiny, tiny field, simply because the apparatus is so expensive. But I don’t need to know who they are to take their word over yours.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Sorry, mate. Try again, in comprehensible English, and maybe I will reply.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I'm always skeptical of these types of announcements but after doing some reading I have to say it looks like they have really done it. I've always worried that any little vibration could mess with these devices but what really impressed me about this discovery is that two different detectors picked it up:

But the black hole merger was picked up by two widely separated LIGO facilities in the US.

Einstein's gravitational waves 'seen' from black holes

Looks like we may have to accept the reality of gravity waves. Now if only we could figure out how QM fits into the picture.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Pretty tricky since I 'm knowledgable of neither subject.
BUT since you have semantic issues and other OCD issues.
HAS the math involving gravity now been verified?
Verified as in a measurable quantity they can now use for engineering?
edit on 12-2-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I really have no idea what you are talking about. Do you?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
you are alive aren't you? the moment is now
'likes of you and likes of me', get off your high horse mate. Am engineer and have also done physics at the uni, so more educated than you.
read thread in my sig and besides change your stomach turning avatar, will ya as I find it difficult to respond to you.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Pretty tricky since I 'm knowledgable of neither subject.
BUT since you have semantic issues and other OCD issues.
HAS the math involving gravity now been verified?
Verified as in a measurable quantity they can now use for engineering?

What?? Your not making sense the math involving gravity is why we can do things like land things on mars. And that same math told us that gravity waves should exist. What we see is a fluctuation in spacetime caused by massive objects in motion. Think of it as you laying in bed and someone sits on the end of it and you feel the motion as the bed adjusts. This means two really neat things. One it will allow us to see blackholes by the gravitational radiation now that we know its there. And this also leads to a deeper understanding of gravity itself.

See now that we know that Einstines theory which is based on gravity waves is right now we can figure out what we are missing. We know we are missing something because we know relativity fails in the extreme. But now we know the theory is sound all we have to do is find out what we are missing and for the first time have a place to start. We know gravity creates waves we know these waves effect spacetime. We know now that gravity uses energy and this energy radiates outward from all objects in space time. And we just confirned gravity is made of smaller parts or gravitons if you will. We now have a foundation to build on.
edit on 2/12/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kratos40
I'm just impressed that Einstein "detected" through brute math and physics, over a century ago that this phenomena existed. Now its proven.
Speechless.

Nothing has been proven. They just discovered a reproducible observation but they have no idea what it is. The child has to have a name.
In a couple years they will make an announcement that it was totally something else they observed, though this time it will not make the headline.
They just need more funding to keep their employees from losing their jobs.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire

I'm just impressed that Einstein "detected" through brute math and physics, over a century ago that this phenomena existed. Now its proven.
Speechless.

They just discovered a reproducible observation but they have no idea what it is.

They know exactly what it is, hence the reason they built the equipment to try and detect it and see if it exists.

In a couple years they will make an announcement that it was totally something else they observed, though this time it will not make the headline.

Based on...?

This is a painfully dumb claim that can be dismissed with the same amount of evidence you presented: none.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

This was already proven over a 100 years ago by Maxwell, Tesla, Heaviside even Russel new this and it had nothing to do with gravitational waves.

Who do you think pays these projects?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Speechless.

Nothing has been proven. They just discovered a reproducible observation but they have no idea what it is. The child has to have a name.

It's settled science all detractors must now be declared insane and have all their citizens rights removed.

Oh wait.

This isn't the climate change thread I wanted to post in. Sorry
edit on 12-2-2016 by tkwasny because: typo fix

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

More words, no substance.

"It's wrong because I say it's wrong" is not exactly compelling.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tkwasny
It's settled science all detractors must now be declared insane and have all their citizens rights removed.

Cool strawman, bro.

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

I never stated something wrong or said something is wrong because i say so
edit on 12-2-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

You haven't stated anything other than your uninformed personal opinion (which you stated so matter-of-factly).

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
I'm always skeptical of these types of announcements but after doing some reading I have to say it looks like they have really done it. I've always worried that any little vibration could mess with these devices but what really impressed me about this discovery is that two different detectors picked it up:

But the black hole merger was picked up by two widely separated LIGO facilities in the US.

Einstein's gravitational waves 'seen' from black holes

Looks like we may have to accept the reality of gravity waves. Now if only we could figure out how QM fits into the picture.

The only bridge I can see between Einstein's gravitational waves and the Quantum Model would be the graviton.

But then, the QM would need to prove that gravitational waves are made of individual quanta. Which is impossible to do given our current technology.

edit on 12-2-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

you are alive aren't you? the moment is now

What, you mean your Nobel Prize came in the mail? Congratulations!

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Speechless.

quite correct. the whole announcement was to strengthen the GR dogma

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
negative. einsteins equations are not used in any space flights
a reply to: dragonridr

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join