It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity wave announcement live now.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: HawkeyeNation

Yeah. That too.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Noooo...the stream is now offline right before they were going to talk about time travel

edit on 11-2-2016 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

Ok I kid...but they did get quite the giggle on a question asking about time travel. I can't recall what she said but along the lines of we are not there yet.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Every peak has a trough.

Night and day, light and dark, short and long. But the speed of light remains constant, which is why in order to EFFECTIVELY travel faster than light, one would need to be able to warp space time in a controlled manner. But even this would not be genuine travel at or beyond the speed of light, because the speed of light would remain constant, but the distance traveled would change. Nothing else, just distance.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Illuminati confirmed!

This is some cool stuff tho, wish it wasn't all greek to me but least some of y'all are able to dumb it down for us

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Every peak has a trough.

Night and day, light and dark, short and long. But the speed of light remains constant, which is why in order to EFFECTIVELY travel faster than light, one would need to be able to warp space time in a controlled manner. But even this would not be genuine travel at or beyond the speed of light, because the speed of light would remain constant, but the distance traveled would change. Nothing else, just distance.

Yep exactly...one constant speed but if we can get to said place faster than expected it appears we have traveled FTL but we just took some massive shortcuts instead. This is where worm holes come into play.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

If light can be slowed down or sped up would that make it possible to harness it a lot more efficiently thus produce a lot more energy?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

So it not only proves the existence of gravity waves but also that the speed of light CAN be slowed, which in turn means logically that it can be increased also. So does this mean that FTL transport is possible ?

With engines the size of black holes, I dunno…

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: InMyShell

If light can be slowed down or sped up would that make it possible to harness it a lot more efficiently thus produce a lot more energy?

Remember that the speed of light can't change...it is what it is and that is the speed of light. The only thing that changes is the distance from point A to point B. Where like phage said it can be longer which would make it appear as if light has slowed or go shorter which would make it appear as if you are faster than light.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah. That too.

How does the distance light travels get "shorter"? I've seen longer, just wondering…

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah. That too.

How does the distance light travels get "shorter"? I've seen longer, just wondering…

I could be way off on this but my thinking is this...imagine a 100 ft building. Would it be faster to go thru it or to go up, over and down.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Really quite astounding to be still proving Einstein right almost 100 years later.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Light coming through an object is straight line, going around takes longer.

They can also slow light to some extent but I have yet to hear of anything traveling Faster Than Light (FTL).

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The Guardian has a blog on the trot here,

www.theguardian.com...

Some recorded sequences here, click where there is an image.

edit on 11-2-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So does this mean there is a center of the universe? Is everything barreling towards this collision spot?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I do not believe a wormhole would be necessary or feasible. A warp drive of some sort, involving three warp bubbles operating to shrink space before, grow it aft, and keep it stable around the craft, would be more effective and efficient.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
So does this mean there is a center of the universe? Is everything barreling towards this collision spot?

Hmmm...you know there was something I read just the other day about this. I can't remember if it was on ATS or not but something is pulling on the Milky Way. Not sure if it's this or not but it sure does make sense if you have 2 black holes that collide to form one massive one.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think I read that through this discovery we will be able to look for other universes and what is in a black hole. Is this a looooong way off?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I do not believe a wormhole would be necessary or feasible. A warp drive of some sort, involving three warp bubbles operating to shrink space before, grow it aft, and keep it stable around the craft, would be more effective and efficient.

ok, ok...my hamster wheel is turning, lol.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Is this Einstein’s last prediction, or are there any others?

I think I read this was the last one

Also, what can they do with this?

Can they build a bigger and better bomb?

A gravity wave Bomb

Just for the Russians!

spacetime
WIllTell

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here's the sound of two Black Holes colliding and the sound of the Gravitational Waves.

In the first two runs of the animation, the sound-wave frequencies exactly match the frequencies of the gravitational waves. The second two runs of the animation play the sounds again at higher frequencies that better fit the human hearing range. The animation ends by playing the original frequencies again twice.

As the black holes spiral closer and closer in together, the frequency of the gravitational waves increases. Scientists call these sounds "chirps," because some events that generate gravitation waves would sound like a bird's chirp.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join