It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 planes that changed the world

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've pinched this idea from mxboy but I disagree with his choices (in the 'best planes never made' thread).

My choicefor the three planes that changed the world (as opposed to changed Aviation) would be

1 Douglas DC-3 first safe reliable modern airliner, introduced air travel all over the globe after WW2

2 MiG 15, Such a shock when it appeared that it put real fear between East and West for the first time leading to cold war being so intensive for 40 years.

3 Boeing 707 plane that first created global air transport as we know it today.

For three planes that changed the world of aviation I would say

1 Fokker Eindecker - introduced the world to the concept of the 'fighter plane' for very first time

2 DH Comet - showed that jets could be used on large transports spurring on Boeing most obviously and most successfully.

3 Lockheed F-117 - just when it looked like aircraft design had reached a plateau, oops no, here we go again in a completely new direction!

[edit on 9-1-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hey, I mistakenly thought he said ever instead of never, but I can post here!

I would include the Boeing 747:

It has carried millions upon millions of passengers, has an excellent safety record, and revolutionized both business and leisure travel around the world for everyone. While more evolutionary (from the 707) than revolutionary in design, it is truly this plane that revolutionized world travel. No previous plane could comfortably and economically transport large numbers of people across the seas and continents the way that this plane did and still does.

[edit on 1/9/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 9 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
My pick for number 1 would be the B-29 Superfortress "Enola Gay"

That was truly a world changing aircraft.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I've separated into modern and pre -modern..thataway I get more choices!!
:

Modern:
1. The space shuttle (
c'mon how could you guys forget, its a really big glider anyways!!)

2. The boeing 747 definitely..it revolutionised inter continental mass transit)

3. The F-117/B-2.. they bring a spark to every little kid's eye..right outta sci-fi!!

pre-Modern:

1. spitfire..IMHO saved the source country's a$$!!

2. Hewy/Bell copters...brought in a whole new generation

3. Me-262..along with the V-2 rockets IMHO could've changed the course of the war if used properly

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Ok, heres my choices.

1. The Spitfire. Without it, Britain would have fallen to Nazi Germany in 1940, there wouldnt have been a free determined country in Europe to fight back against the Nazis, history would have been drastically different.

2. The Comet. Yes, I know the 707 cornered the passenger market, but it was only after the Comet showed that Jet airliners were practical, cost effective and the way forward. And the Comet also showed to the world the dangers of metal fatigue, which everyone had pretty much ignored up until the first Comet crash. Plus the Nimrod has shown that the Comet airframe can put up with a lot of punishment.

3. The 747. Pan Am said 'we want more' and Boeing delivered. Pretty much unchanged in over 35 years, its a staple sight at every major airport in the world, and will be for some time.

Close runners up:

SR-71. Beautiful aircraft, but it really didnt change the world all that much.

EE Lightning. Fast, sleek aircraft, still holds records for rate of climb.

Lockheed C-130. Go anywhere, do anything cargo aircraft. The Dakota of the modern world.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
747 No longer does one have to be cramped in a low tech airliner and only have access to 1 TV on. You can even bring your family along for the flight from the U.S. to Japan in record time!

7E7 Now you don’t have to worry about them high gas prices, the old style design and atmosphere of the other airlines or worry about ripping apart in mid air from metal fatigue.

Space Ship One The days of me dreaming of when I get to go to space are over. This is the beginning of mankind branching out into the unknown universe. Many expect that civilians will frequent solar system flights come the 2nd half of this century.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The Wright Flyer
The Bell X-1
The Boeing 707

Rationale: The Wright plane is obvious

The Bell X-1 First Supersonic flight

707 or -80: First jet passanger plane In large numbers (Comet was first, but for those square windows). Changes the world in terms ov travel. truly a device for shrinking time and distance. Plus the test pilot barrel rolled it in front of a crowd on Puget Sound

While there are examples or many great planes mentioned above (The Spitfire for example essentialy stopped Hitlers advance, okay Chain Home played a big part) The three I mention were revolutionary not just evolutionary.

[edit on 1/10/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I'm surprised more people haven't picked the Wright Flyer, I was going to pick it myself but wanted three later types.

Just one thing about the 707. I'm not knocking it, I picked it too, but it was not the first jet passenger plane, that was the Vickers Tay-Viscount and the first production one was the D H Comet.

I also argue that my own choices were more revolutionary but hey its all about opinions

FIRST JET TRANSPORT

[edit on 10-1-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The question posed was planes that changed the world, not planes that changed aircraft design hence my choice of the 747 over the 707. I think the Wright flyer should be included though.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The question posed was planes that changed the world, not planes that changed aircraft design hence my choice of the 747 over the 707. I think the Wright flyer should be included though.

That why I included the 707. With it, air travel became a common venue instead of a means for the elite hence my choice over the 747. Both changed the way we think of aviation, but the 707 truly opened up the world.

Waynos, I realized after I posted it that the Dash-80 was not the first, but rather the first in large scale production.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
1. The Wright Flyer- This one is easy the first powered, heavier-than-air machine to achieve controlled, sustained flight. Nothing can top that in importance IMHO.

2. The B-29 Superfortress- The first plane to use a Atomic weapon showing that a single plane can wipe out a entire city.

3. The German Me 262 - The first Jet plane to see combat that would forever change the way combat planes are made.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
think i would of added the harrier into there. a plane with the ability to stop in mid air and land where there are no runways. also a highly abled fighting plane holding off argentinian super sonic jets during the falklands war.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I could not believe what I was seeing -- or in this case, not seeing -- in the posts about the most important aircraft ever built.

The very best anyone here will ever be able to do is to argue over which aircraft is the second greatest ever built.

The Flyer will never be surpassed in importance, nor will the two bicycle mechanics who invented and flew it.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
But what about the B-17?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Great plane the B-17 but it didn't really change the world did it, same as the (even better) Avro Lancaster.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Changed the world-
1. Space ship one
2. Boeing 707 (dash 80)
3. the british Comet, which I do belive was the first jet before the 707...but there were problems due to its square windows...
(please correct me if Im wrong!)

changed the world of aviation-
1. Concorde
2. 747
3. Lockheed A-12 Blackbird (just a tad faster than its baby the SR-71, still nothing jet powered is faster than the A-12 or the SR-71)

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Planes that changed the world for good
The Wright Flyer
The Spirit of St. Louis
The Enola Gay

and for evil

www.airliners.net...
www.airliners.net...
www.airliners.net...
www.airliners.net...

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Spaceship one? I love the idea, but the revolution has not come yet. Lets see if anything at all pans out from that.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
B17 Fortress
B24 Liberator
B29 Superfortress

Surely these three planes have changed the world.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Great plane the B-17 but it didn't really change the world did it, same as the (even better) Avro Lancaster.

It was very important to winning WW2 Russia had their T-34 we had the B-17. Something like 2 out of every 5 bombs dropped during WWII were dropped by the B-17 Flying Fortress. They flew 762,462 sorties and dropped 1,396,816 tons of bombs. Plus they only lost 9937 planes in combat so thats like what only 2 percent of planes went down during sorties.I suck at math so that might be the wrong percent but its really low.

A well deserving plane to be on the list

www.ww2guide.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join