It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Origin of the Universe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

eh, no sweat glad you see how generalizations are a divide by groups lending an ability to point fingers and cause strife instead of peace and tolerance this world desperately needs.

You wanna know something silly? Others that do not believe in god(s) have said I should identify as an agnostic or buddhist being confirmed as enlightened... but the buddhist river is done why carry the raft 23 years was enough dragging it around. I can speak to people all day and help them find relief from suffering without one word of dogma or belief... and well atheist is an organized "religion" of sorts the same as rote science can be when dealing with the theoretical side as thats belief til proven too... but agnostic means ima reserve judgement and not say either way... nope atheist.

Like the ghost, if some phenomena showed up performed feats and claimed to be god? That phenomena would still have to prove with fact it to be god regardless if 99% of the world believed it was. In other words? Existent or nonexistent is none of my concern as I have no questions nor any mysteries that require solving to be free of suffering as that was my personal responsibility to attain.

I hope you have a wonderful day

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Excellent post.
You summed up my feelings on the issue eloquently. Other than the atheist part...I keep my options open to any and all possibilities since the Universe appears to be infinite, for now anyway.
Things can and do still go bump in the night and many things still remain without a certain explanation. But we as thinking people cannot allow either organized religion or science for that matter since they have been wrong and forceful in their dogma as well to suppress the free exchange of ideas.

Why can't they be allowed? Is that not the same ideology of control that you speak of standing against?

It's better to educate to build a bridge of tolerance and understanding and well points of view not ones own is a good place to start trying on shoes. When I was in organised religion it soon became painfully aware that it wasn't a religion at all but a psychology and a philosophy for life... the same as all the others, problem is when a large group thinks whatever ideology they group id with is the only way to think or live... its gonna be extremist shtf every single time.

So its not the religion or belief of anything at all being the issue; its the perspective pundits of whatever ideology pointing fingers... put the finger away as it does nothing but cast blame and divide people when all could live in harmony without anyone being right or wrong... and well many want that division because they want their heaven on earth and utopias instead of this mess and the irony is? That's why its all mess... making people want heavens and utopias... rinse repeat over and over and that is an accepted definition of insanity... repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome each time... science looks for every time when it is every time? Fact.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Ahh you know, too and fro of life, it's easy to speak (for me at least) without engaging the brain at times
It's nice to be chastised politely

Enjoy your disbelief, it's a choice, we have every right to enjoy that choice

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Why can't science and religion work together.

Because science is forever proving religious beliefs wrong.

There is a kind of religion that works well with science. It’s the religion that believes that maybe Someone or Something created the universe, drafted its laws, sculpted matter and energy using them, and then retired from the scene, leaving behind no trace of Themself. This being is closed to human inspection or appeal, at least with the senses and resources available to humans. Their only testament is the Universe itself, and the only way to understand something of this Creator is to understand the universe itself. Some believers go on to argue that the only way to worship this being is also through appreciation and worship of the universe in every detail and in all its totality. That last wrinkle is known as pantheism.

Trouble is, not many people want to believe or worship a god like that. Many scientists do, however, subscribe to a harder or softer kind of pantheism.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

True. It's early. Haven't entirely woken up yet. I didn't mean we need to suppress religion or science. The free exchange of ideas and theories should be encouraged among all. If someone has a belief that doesn't fit your personal model of the universe, fine, but let them have it and walk away with your own and not discourage or argue how right you are in yours. That's all.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Ahh you know, too and fro of life, it's easy to speak (for me at least) without engaging the brain at times
It's nice to be chastised politely

Enjoy your disbelief, it's a choice, we have every right to enjoy that choice

Agreed and well I didn't mean to chastise... but, if you want a "punishment" think about what starts speaking without thinking... and when you find out ask yourself; if it is you? I'm honestly not being silly with that... but you did say enjoy my disbelief and oddly enough if you delve into the task your faith will be strengthened.

Cheers
edit on 11-2-2016 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Yeppers, even though I dropped "my" theory here... it is what it is I'm not attached to it, people are welcome to tear it apart. If they do right or wrong? We all will still learn.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I believe that the universe came about as a result of a Big Bang like event, or something similar, and that this was the method by which God did his creator thing. I believe much of Genesis to be a thoroughly simplified version of events, which would have been at least partially understandable to a goat herd or even a relatively intelligent scholar of the time it was written in, as opposed to the no doubt incomprehensible formula for the cosmic pinball game which ensued afterward.

I believe that what was meant by what was written is impossible to say, and therefore I work my life out like this. For that which revolves around the physical universe, I turn to science. For everything else, I turn to God.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Are you sure you want to know why religion and science can't work together? Let me give you just a couple of example.

The Bible say man was made: Science say we were evolved. How can you fit both views?
The Bible say all the animals on Earth was put onto an Arc: Science say this is impossible.

Even if God does exist, is he just not just another being? Just more superior?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: reddragon2015

Even if God does exist, is he just not just another being? Just more superior?

In evolved abilities as superior perhaps, but if under a notion of superiority of true intelligence? That's no different than the Ant gods that come around with magnifying glasses. Then definitely not superior as an intelligence, making humanity more superior in that ability but this being under the delusion of being god because of superior abilities could learn from us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join