It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Why does life seem so depressing at times.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:16 AM
You know I think it's so weird how as you get older you realize just how many threats you face. And that can be so disheartening and depressing....

Like when you're younger you don't know sh*t really, which is good in some ways because you don't understand all the threats in life. So therefore because you don't know about them, then you're mainly optimistic and it's easy to focus on the good and positive areas of life.

But then when you get older you realize you literally have you watch your "every step". Everything and everyone is somewhat of a threat. But also you can't just sit back and hide either because you have less time left in life so you should be making extra effort to take on the challenges of life.

However, I find that just so depressing. Like sometimes I find it hard to get out of bed. Because like with me I have problems and threats in pretty much every area of my life. Like to the point where I don't even know what this experience we call life is about anymore. Like it's totally nuts.

I mean I could try and just throw my hands up and say "screw it" but that won't solve the problems. Alternatively I'd have to try and take on the problems. But there's so many of them. Like where do I even start. Like it's more than a full time job to try and tackle them, and that doesn't guarantee me any success either.

So anyway, like today I didn't get my done. Just slept. Like life is so depressing at times. Like the only area that perhaps I'm not having problems in is maybe "intellectual". Like I'm getting plenty of intellectual stimulation so that area is going okay. But every other area has got a lot of problems. I suppose health wise I'm not too bad off. I mean I could be far worse. I'm not living in pain. But I guess being depressed half the time isn't healthy. But like financial, emotional, spiritual, social are all crap.

Like I just didn't know that life could get like this where it just seems completely pointless. Like there's zero point to anything. Like what would you do if you were in my shoes and it seemed like every part of you life was in termoil and chaos? And how do you try tackling problems that are essencially impossible? Like it's just pointless.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:26 AM
I feel the exact same way.

However, I found that simply being depressed wasn't very productive and wasn't really going anywhere, so I focused on what the root cause of that is.

In society that would be money. We are brought up to think that you need to have perfect grades so you can go to a perfect school to get the perfect job and make lots of money and live in the perfect neighborhood with the perfect mansion and the perfect collection of cars with the perfect husband or wife with the perfect family and so on and so forth.

That level of perfection is not idealistically attainable, and the depression you feel seems to be stemming from that false and unattainable dream. Not everyone gets a medal, not everyone wins.

This generation seems even more bound to feel this way because everyone gets a participation ribbon now. No one is allowed to get 0% on their homework, even if they didn't do it. Everyone needs to feel special.

I was raised to think this, and it took losing everything thanks to the economy and totally unavoidable, unpreventable situations where I lost everything that made me realize that I don't need everything to live happily.

So, my wife and I are focusing on a future where Money doesn't mean anything. Building our own house, abscent of a mortgage, off the grid (so economy doesn't effect us almost at all), growing our own food, and generating our own power and clean water. We don't need 10 cars or a fancy house to be happy. Those things only caused us unnecessary stress in the past anyways.

If I were you, I'd focus on what is causing you the most stress, and perhaps you can find a way how to rid it form your life too
edit on 11/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:32 AM

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:37 AM
a reply to: lavatrance I know turmoil and chaos quite well. I have days that I don't want to get out of bed too.
The thing is, this Earth is really beautiful and fresh air, trees, flowers, for many the beach... these are some of the things that make living on earth worthwhile. If your not a big time people person, animals and nature are very refreshing and can lift ones spirits.
Being healthy and able to walk are wonderful gifts. I have been a care provider for folks who don't have the ability to walk or even swallow food and that really puts things into perspective. How wonderful it is when you are hungry and can chew, taste and swallow food. Every little thing we can do as humans is a blessing, really no matter how dark things seem, remember the littlest of things that make you happy.
The simplicity of childhood fun doesn't ever really have to go away.
Like you avatar, surfing, we have to ride the waves. Some are menacingly big and scary but you want to be centered enough to ride it through.
May you find peace and happiness.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:40 AM
Life is not depressing... What are you talking about.

Always remember that it happens to all people. Everyone has obstacles and you are your own obstacle.

If you think you can't get over something today... Just get it over with. The next day might be different.

Be optimistic my friend. The world has enough depression already... you need not spread it.

Cheer up.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:41 AM
a reply to: lavatrance

In this time and era it’s not about business it's not even personal, it is about survival, and your brain is just adapting to the times, adapting to today’s events. Sometimes in life you change your self from what you were, try going back to those times… ‘the adventure in you times’

Because in reality ,when was the last time you made yourself feel good ? keep your head up and smile more, there are too many roads still left in your destiny of life, that you can turn down if you chose to.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:45 AM

A pieceful advice

1 reason that might cause your depression is overloading your brain with information.

You should practice moderate reading.

You should avoid reading excessive disinformation on the Web. That would be a good start.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:52 AM
Thanks for sharing, I know where you are coming from! The place you are situated in is a dangerous one, that is bad but it also the opportunity to leap. In other words you could find yourself in a better place. All the things you described are directly related to the physical reality, even most of the intellectuality. That is an assumption I make in lieu of your post. In a way what you connect to, think about you become. Yet, you are not that . Try a new approach, think of your heart and not so much of the mind. Connect as much as possible with what makes your truly happy, people,books,music and laughter. When you fail, don’t take is as a failure take it as a sign to redirect yourself, your thoughts your life. You update from becoming that which you are not! There is a really amazing documentary called Happy, well worth your time. Wishing you the best, you deserve it. reply to: lavatrance

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:58 AM
And, take care of yourselves. I mean it.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:03 AM

I've been through so much crap for so many years, I wouldn't even know where to begin telling you about them all. Life can be difficult, but it can also be filled with much beauty and love. I don't know all the challenges you are facing right now, but I wish for you the courage and strength and inspiration to hang in there. Take one day at a time. If you need to talk, just send a private message. I'm always willing to listen.

I'm sure you will get plenty of great advice from your ATS family. Just remember that you are never truly alone. HUGS!

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:05 AM

Like I just didn't know that life could get like this where it just seems completely pointless. Like there's zero point to anything. Like what would you do if you were in my shoes and it seemed like every part of you life was in termoil and chaos? And how do you try tackling problems that are essencially impossible? Like it's just pointless.

Look back or look forwards. Life does suck sometimes and pretty bad too. Times come when it's like living under a rain cloud that won't go away. Or if you saw a dollar note on the floor, someone would kick you over and take it when you bent over.

These are only periods in life that usually pass on. Looking back, you've probably felt worse and the future can be better so look forwards. Debts can be dealt with. Relationships can be mended or left behind. If your home is untidy, you can start by cleaning it up. All these things can be antidotes to feeling down and getting up is step 1.

The #ty thing is giving advice is cool and makes us all glow inside. On the other hand words from strangers won't have the impact of your own thoughts.

Get up and walk!

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:13 AM

originally posted by: lavatrance
Like I just didn't know that life could get like this where it just seems completely pointless. Like there's zero point to anything. And how do you try tackling problems that are essentially impossible? Like it's just pointless.

Life is a test, tests are supposed to be hard...

This life is a preparation for the next...

Fire on the Altar Compilation MP3

One of the main reasons you were placed on this planet was to be tested by God...

Stop believing that life is pointless, it is a lie and it will only confuse you even more.

The good news is that modern culture, based on the premise there is no inherent purpose or positive design in human life, has been exposed as a long-term Illuminati psy-op designed to demoralize us. It will fail.

The Satanic Origin of Modern Cult-ure

Instead start making it your goal to connect with your purpose in life.

I researched this subject once and I kept running into patterns and talk about scrolls and missions.

We all have scroll prepared by God before we were conceived in our mother’s womb. It’s important we discover what is written on it so we can walk in it and fulfil our Testimony; for it is on this that we will be judged and rewarded. At the end of this life Jesus will compare what we have done with what we should have done with our lives. We have a lifetime to discover what is on our scroll and work it out and achieve it.

Your Scroll and Testimony ~ The Testimony of Your Scroll MP3

The counterculture revolution of the 1960s began when people said, “Something is missing. Something is wrong. There must be something greater than this.” And they were right! There must be something greater than eating and drinking, working and sleeping, existing. There must be something greater than the American dream. There must be something greater than simply getting a good education so that you can find a good job and have a good family so that your kids can get a good education and find a good job and have a good family so that their kids can a get a good education . . . . Is this really it? Is this why God put us here on this earth?

God wants the best for us, for each of us. He knows what the best is for each of us, that best is already written on a scroll, if you read Psalm 139 it says that He knew you before you were even born. Already on that scroll in heaven your whole life is set out, His will for your life, and He wants to reveal it to you. He wants you to know the best. Truth

In the truest sense of the word. Why are you here? To choose love. Set your heart on a pilgrimage to be great in eternity. You are going to be there in just a moment, you are going to be there in just a moment. And what you have done in love and service is what is going to stand in that day."

Eternity - YouTube

See post here for more...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:26 AM

It's all hypothetical

For me: I am depressing because I am a natural melancholic

1. I say it's a trait that makes you ponder in a melancholic introvert personality

2. Surrounding : everyone around you dumb ? Revert to a place you don't feel it is the case .. Like eg this forum is my alternative to depressing so I am naturally happy here and no longer ponder why .. Where is your happy place ? When you find it take ur shoes off before stepping in .. You will drag the dirt from the yucky place in .. What's the saying close the door on (?) ......

3. it is proven your brain can not sustain prolonged state of euphoria you will drop into "depressed" mode because you ran out happy juice producing hormones .. Then know it's temporary and natural ..

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:08 AM

The older I get, the more I realise that the threats which exist in the world are large, ominous, and more to the point, that there is nothing I can do about any of them...

EXCEPT to deal with them as they come to me personally. I have no power that extends beyond the limits of my physical body, no special hardline connection to the fundamental power of the universe, no ability inherent in myself to change things remotely. But when threats appear in front of me that I can tackle, they get all of it. They get every moment of compressed fury, every single bar of crushing pressure, every single ounce of unspent adrenaline and every last unshod epithelial from the fist as yet unswung.

I do not sleep unsoundly any more, as I used to when I was a lad, and had not yet developed solutions to these things that worked for me. Now I sleep well, and when I wake, I open my curtains, peer out at the world, and as I do, I dare it to send me its worst, and I smile, because today just might be the day when I get to work that kink out of my neck, that pit out of my stomach, where I get to use some of my overly high blood pressure to create a hydraulic pincer out of my hands, and crush something that asked for it in triplicate. There is no fear any more. There is resolve, there is solidity, and a preparedness to enjoy whatever comes my way, however that can be achieved.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:20 AM
a reply to: TrueBrit

I have no power that extends beyond the limits of my physical body, no special hardline connection to the fundamental power of the universe, no ability inherent in myself to change things remotely.

I didn't know break the rusty chain is a song I googled the lyrics

My whole day is AWESOME

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:20 AM

I feel sometimes feel depressed because I think there is simply no point. I think the Earth is beyond repair and even if it was, we don't seem to show any signs of slowing down (only of speeding up) with the destruction of the Earth.

I can't handle working at a slave job.. I get depressed... I need a career that I enjoy.. but don't want to bother because I feel like #'s going to hit the fan any time now.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:23 AM
a reply to: Murgatroid

Really? God-bothering on a thread where someone is talking about depression?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:23 AM
a reply to: Sessionexpired

No way!?

*air guitars like a badass*

See, I am that much of a metal head, I spread the word by accident!

ETA: the actual lyric is "gonna break my rusty cage" but really... The psychological effect is precisely the same!
edit on 11-2-2016 by TrueBrit because: Added detail

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:28 AM

The best advice I can give you is to understand that those thoughts that arise don't represent you. You don't control your body, you're not consciously breathing, it's just something that your body does, it's just happening, and asking why it is happening is like asking why there is gravity or why the universe is happening, so there is no point in asking why. Likewise you don't consciously control your body temperature or your blood pressure or your digestion etc., all of those things are just happening and we have no answer. It's exactly the same for your thoughts, the brain does things that we're not even aware of, it produces things on which we have no control so there is no point in feeling responsible. You're not those depressing thoughts, you're the point of consciousness that is experimenting those bad thoughts. If you have a toothache you never say "this is me, this pain is me", but you just try to make it go away and then you move on. It's the same for those bad thoughts, you don't have to identify with those bad thoughts, they are not you and you're not them.

Another thing to always keep in mind is this quote from Krishnamurti : "it is not a proof of sanity to be well adapted to a sick society", which means that the world that humans have created for themselves is not adapted to what they are, it creates to much pain and destruction. It creates too many toothaches. And the people around you are no different, they have no clue, so they are not a good thermometer. And nature doesn't care about your pain, physical or mental, it's just a mechanism.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:45 AM
Well said! in fact the only one that really cares is the one who directly experiences "you". Why ? because it feels like everything is happening to "you" That is where we can really take a leap from, from the you we think we are.a reply to: gosseyn

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>