It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATD-X/X-2/F-3 predecessor has started taxi tests

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Okay!

The japanese have started getting moving with their X-2 demonstrator. The plane has been photographed doing taxi tests prior to its maiden flight.

I imagine the first flight will be weeks away, if that, barring any problems with the ground tests.

I have to admit, the X-2 looks a bit...kawaii.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Successor maybe? I'm confused this is the model prior to the x2?
edit on 10-2-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

This is the X-2. The X-2 and ATD-X are the same thing. The X-2 is the tech demonstrator for the coming F-3 program.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I understand now, the f3 is planned for 2027, seems so late as the Chinese stealth fighter will operational in 2018.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

You don't build a stealth fighter in a year. The X-2 isn't going to be a fighter, it's going to be a demonstrator, so they can learn to work with the technology needed for their own stealth fighter.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

By the time they get their fith generation Americans have plans to field their sixth, they got raptors over there all the time, why don't just scrap f3 and start developing something better, when the f3 is ready the raptor will be 20ish years old?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Because you don't go from license building F-15s to building something as advanced as the F-3 is going to be. It's not as simple as just saying "I'm going to build a stealth fighter" and building it. Fifth generation fighters are the most advanced aircraft flying, and you don't just suddenly build one without having some base technologies in place.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

maybe they need spies instead of working on things that will be obsolete when ready, seems to work well for china.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The Raptor is ours anyways, they have no control over them and unfortunetly congress prevented them getting any other their own. Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Would it be wrong to speculate that this thing might be more of a "Generation 5.5" fighter once the F-3 enters service. I kind of feel like comparing the aircraft that this thing might turn into (F-35-level avionics suite and RCS, with maneuverability that makes an F-22 or a Sukhoi look like an F-105) with the F-22 as built might end up a bit like comparing an F-15A with a Eurofighter Typhoon. Though I'd imagine that if congress ever gets their heads out of their asses, an F-22B or F-22C would probably best the F-3.

That said, I'm really interested to see where this goes. With Japan's technology base, as well as their stealth experience as an assembly partner for the F-35, this thing could well end up matching the F-22 and ending up as one of the most advanced fighters out there this side of an F- or F/A-XX.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

No matter what nation you are, there's a huge up hill trek to get a 5th generation fighter working. The US has issues with it, just look at the headaches the F-35 had given us! And we're the ONLY country to have successfully put a 5th gen into service.

To be honest, I find the Chinese efforts more plausible and scary (for that matter) because they are admitting there are areas they are not as proficient in (engines, frex). Even so, they will be working their tails off to improve.

Whereas the Russians keep boasting and its not hard to see the PAK-FA has serious deficiencies. And...well...that'd imply to me, especially with all the scaling back on all fronts by the Russians, they are trying to cover up the problems, not fix them.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Why build anything. Anything anyone builds is going to be obsolete when it's done.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

I understand now, the f3 is planned for 2027, seems so late as the Chinese stealth fighter will operational in 2018.

Technically speaking, that would give the Japanese 19 years to observe what the Chinese field and polish off their own design with something to answer it.

No?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Is there any info on the combat effectiveness of "next gen" aircraft when fielded against "current/last gen" aircraft?

Lets say the average end cost of an F22 is $340 mill per plane.
Could I buy 15 SU-27's at 22 mill each and sit smugly in my supervillain bunker (with it's SAM defended airspace) knowing that although technologically outmatched- I can just keep throwing missiles and cheap planes in the air till I get lucky?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

In exercises the F-22, in the role it was made for beat every fourth generation aircraft it went up against without even trying very hard. It has a slightly harder time WVR, due to energy loss, but you have to get to that range first, and at long and medium range it will own any battlefield it operates in.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: Barnalby

No matter what nation you are, there's a huge up hill trek to get a 5th generation fighter working. The US has issues with it, just look at the headaches the F-35 had given us! And we're the ONLY country to have successfully put a 5th gen into service.

To be honest, I find the Chinese efforts more plausible and scary (for that matter) because they are admitting there are areas they are not as proficient in (engines, frex). Even so, they will be working their tails off to improve.

Whereas the Russians keep boasting and its not hard to see the PAK-FA has serious deficiencies. And...well...that'd imply to me, especially with all the scaling back on all fronts by the Russians, they are trying to cover up the problems, not fix them.

The technological hurdles in building 5th gen airframes are steep, many countries arguing in fact too step to justify the benefit given the predicted shape of conflicts in the future.

Let's face it, the F22 program is a failure, it's intended opposition has never materialised and rightfully the program has rightly been cut short being a vast waste of money.

The F35 technically doesn't meet the criteria for 5th Gen anyway as it's not all-aspect stealth and it's the opinion of pretty much all independent bodies that it can never meet it's design projections and will struggle in real world battlefields.

So many nations are considering much simpler aircraft that are versatile, easy to service, cheap and effective in current battlefields rather than 5th Gen money pits which always fall short of the advertised features.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBogmonster

The F-35 is all aspect stealth, but it's optimized, like most stealth, for X-Band, frontal aspect.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBogmonster

Ummm, did you even bother to read the comment before yours?

The F-22 dominates the battle field in it's intended roll. Like a carrier battle group it influences the movements and decision making of countries around wherever it is deployed to. You should be glad that the F-22's opponents that it was designed to go up against never materialized and in part the F-22 helped to ensure that they didn't.

As for the F-35, you should educate yourself. Here are some "independent" bodies that will disagree with you:

www.quora.com...

arcturus415.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
And now, we have video!

link for more.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Did you notice what it taxied past? Pretty cool marketing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join