It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans think that latin American women with Zika should be denied abortions

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yet I cannot say what you can. Seriously I cannot. I cannot say well they give healthcare to a kid with a runny nose so why shouldn't it be used to save a life, when I myself would give my life if it meant giving life to my child. My family would raise that child along with my husband. We have very close family ties here and family is everything to us.

Yes, this society has determined all this, but it is to our detriment. The more the government just hands everything and the kitchen sink to the irresponsible, the more they breed irresponsible generations. Because instead of Sally and Johnny being taught the values of a days work and the values of being responsible, they are being taught they can do whatever they want and there are no consequences to their actions.

It is destroying our society, and at some point we have to say no more. There was a day that it was only for those in dire need who paid into the system and needed some help getting through a serious injury (sorry to hear about yours btw, I will keep you in my prayers) and other such difficulties, but that day is long past. Those few this was originally sold to us as being for, are no longer getting help and instead it is being used to promote a larger and larger group of people totally dependent upon government.

Someday, we have to end it or see our nation destroyed. For me, that day is today. The time to stand up and say no more is now. Its now or never. Because soon, we will simply be destroyed and then, out of necessity, we will have to rise from the ashes of what we have done.

I respect you, I do. But we have to end this crazy cycle and we can't do that by continually feeding it in ever greater amounts.

edit on 13-2-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Kitana

Someday, we have to end it or see our nation destroyed. For me, that day is today. The time to stand up and say no more is now. Its now or never. Because soon, we will simply be destroyed and then, out of necessity, we will have to rise from the ashes of what we have done.

that time is come and gone....
if it wasn't for all the gov't assistance being given to the poor, so they can keep participating in our economy, you'd be seeing the ashes all around you, especially in the healthcare industry.

and, not everybody has a family that would be willing and able to take their kids in... for some, maybe the most responsible thing to do would be to preserve their lives to ensure that their living kids were cared for.

I can say this though, there is no danged reason for me to even try to enter the work force at this point. I wouldn't be considered for anything outside of screen printing or some other kind of production work, which if I managed to do, I would be doing in quite a bit of pain. I tried once before, it lasted a week, I quite when I nearly fainted on the floor because of the pain. I am not gonna do it, not to get a wage that would fill my basic needs let alone help with the medical problem. So, well, I tend to skip meals, I know I might not have a roof over my head. But, I would rather die that get put back in a position where I am forking hard earned pain filled money over to help pay for some of the piddly arsed stuff this gov't uses it for! as far as I am concerned, you want to deny help to women in need with their birth control, or any other healthcare need they have, then well, they shouldn't have one danged dime of their money used to provide anyone else with healthcare... (exception being medicare for the elderly since they paid into the system all this time for the benefit.)
so, well that's the choice I present.... either drop all funding that goes into the healthcare system or at least do your best to ensure that all who need it can have it....and that includes birth control and abortion if the mother's health and life is at risk.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

you know for 300 years in this country there was no welfare system that was government led. Help came from churches, from family members, from community pitching in. It's not been that long ago either, yet we seem to have collectively forgotten that it happened once, and can happen again.

Would it be a darn hard transition? Yes, it would break us if it was not done slowly at this point. But would people simply begin taking responsibility for themselves, would families begin to be closer once more, would community ties strengthen again? Yes, out of necessity they would.

But that is the thing, it won't happen until the necessity exists, and ultimately, there is only one way to create that necessity and that is to begin saying no.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Just a side note here:

Not long ago, there was someone in my town, not my family nor someone who went to my church, just someone in town. They needed to come up with 3,000.00 to get their electricity turned back on, they are a poor family and had racked up in time a very large back bill.

They said something to someone, and the community radio show told everyone about it, and 5,000.00 was raised in two days and given to those people to help them.

Community does and can exist, even today.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

actually, there was....

Early American patterns of publicly funded poor relief emerged mainly from the English heritage of early settlers. The policies and practices of aiding the poor current in England when the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts were shaped primarily by the Elizabethan Poor Laws of 1594 and 1601, and the Law of Settlement and Removal of 1662. The English poor laws classified poor/dependent people into three major categories and established a requirement for “residency” before aid was provided. Dependent persons were categorized as: vagrant, the involuntary unemployed and the helpless. In effect, the poor laws separated the poor into two classes: the worthy (e.g., orphans, widows, handicapped, frail elderly) and the unworthy (e.g., drunkards, shiftless, lazy). The poor laws also set down the means for dealing with each category of needy persons and established the parish (i.e., local government) as the responsible agent for administering the law. Parish officials were given the authority to raise taxes as needed and use the funds to build and manage almshouses; to supply food and sustenance in their own homes for the aged and the handicapped, (e.g., blind, crippled); and to purchase materials necessary to put the able-bodied to work. If vagrants or able-bodied persons refused to work they could be put in jail.
www.socialwelfarehistory.com...

it wasn't as kind as the one we have today, but it did exist and it was a system of taxation that supported it....
to think that "charity" would fill the void today is insane. heck charity begins at home and within the workplace...and our bosses don't even see the need to pay their employees enough to live on. I heard the other day that 50% of 25 year olds are living with their parents....they cannot get jobs that pay a decent wage that will allow them to live that independent live, they won't start families, they won't buy houses.... These parents will not be able to downsize their homes, and save up their extra income so that they can retire like they should be..... they are basically stuck still partially supporting their kids, or maybe they the whole family is helping each other out because none of them could survive alone....

independence kind of runs side by side with responsibility.... there won't be any improvement on the part of responsibility at this point without addressing the problem of cost of living and wages... we have do more than demand people be responsible, we have to make a way for them to be and instead we seem hell bent on stripping that ability away from more and more people...

edit on 13-2-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You have a valid point on social welfare. But as to the rest, independence comes at a price most aren't willing to pay - and that is fact.

I am not especially wealthy. Now that I wont work again, because I wont go back to work after the baby, but we make sacrifices for this. We don't have all the things most do, and are happy like that. We live in a house that was build by individual people and not a contractor. Its not fancy, its practical. It's build on family property, not away from family members. (that is a benefit of being here since before the revolutionary war though) Its not large, its big enough for us.

We don't have every convenience known to man, we do without stuff. We don't buy on credit we save for what we want. We don't have a fancy car, we have one that runs good. We don't have cell phones. We splurged on internet and television, and if ever a day we cannot afford it then we will simply do without.

I make things by hand, I buy flour and not bread. We eat soup beans and not steak. We don't eat out, or go out other than to visit a family member or friend, and we do even that fairly little except for those living closest to us. A big night for us is to have brothers and sisters over to eat, and they like soup beans too. Tonight I am making chili with one pound of ground beef I got on sale, a bunch of beans an onion and spices, that will give us enough for 3 - 4 good meals when you throw some cornbread alongside. It's not hard to cut back.

It's often a matter of how you live, not a matter of not being able to be independent. Tell someone on welfare to eat soupbeans and homemade cornbread and they will tell you it's trash food. Tell someone on welfare to get a bag of flour for two dollars and a little yeast to make 6-8 loaves of bread out of it instead of buying bread at 3.00 per loaf and they will tell you it's insane to expect such a thing from them.

You have to be willing to be independent sometimes, and with that comes sacrifices.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

first this is not a political issue so lets keep it out of politics,
the zika virus needs to be moved up to disease threat number one and vigorously examined
it has been known about for 50 + years why has it all of a sudden started making these extreme birth defects and now miscarriages are these natural mutations or has someone been engineering them.
as a world we need to find a way to stop this virus and quick otherwise the human species might be in for serious trouble.
lets not you this as athing to poke one political party or the other as was stated dems and repuvlicans have no say so about abortions in latin america or in us so lets not lose focus by saying anything about that.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i live in north carolina my neighbor is about 3 months pregnant and she is very scared as we live around alot of rivers and swamps and have a pond right behind our houses she has been buying seep woods off and citronella candleas like crazy and the pond behind house might be stocked with fish to help kill mosquitos. there have already been reports of it in florida so as soon as warm weather sets in it will probably move right up the east coast

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

That is what I am figuring too. Definitely time to buy off mosquito repellent and citronella and such. But, we will make it through I figure.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

the only thing that is throwing into the political ring is a couple brief statements concerning family planning.. I've listened to that congressional hearing, and believe me there was very little said about the family planning aspect of it and that is what is causing the uproar. why these reporters slanted their story like they did, to say that republicans were against the funding because it might fund abortions I have no idea. Most of the republicans seemed really quite accepting of the idea, and assurances were made that none of the money would fund abortions. They do want to fund family planning services though. ya know, getting birth control to those in areas that are affected and thus preventing pregnancies that will result in handicapped children. finding a vaccine is going to take at least a year, but the time it's found, the crisis might be over. but during that time, we could have a new crisis since we don't fully understand just how the virus is affecting the developing babies and it's too early to tell the full extent of the damage it might be doing by observation alone. to me, to fund the research to find a vaccine without providing a way to prevent pregnancy in the affected areas is so far from being a realistic and sensible approach, it would make me think that the whole thing is made up and therefore we shouldn't be anything on it... after all the virus itself doesn't really pose much of a danger at the present time outside of the possible danger to the fetus. so, if you want to protect a bunch of kids from coming into the world with god only knows what problems, well, the only thing you can do is prevent their conception at this time. and telling women to just avoid getting pregnant in societies that are strongly male dominated isn't going to much of anything!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Yet this is why we are 20 Trillion dollars in debt and growing. No one cares we can afford none of it. No one wants to be sensible because they have been brainwashed to think the US has no choice but to be the savior of mankind.

It's not, we cannot afford it, and trying to be so will cause us to fail, and fail hard.

But go ahead and support all this, and watch your children and grandchildren have nothing but a debt they cannot hope to repay, and slavery to the government instead of anything remotely resembling freedom.

People deserve exactly what they get. Everyone is like government spending drug addicts. Cannot manage to just say no.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kitanayou want to fund alot of things without putting us into debt here is how make every transaction on the stock echanges be subject to a 4 cent on the dollar sales take you would truly be shocked how fast our national debt would be wiped out and curtail useless spending.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

That would probably do it!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

and, I am pretty sure that you have some limits on things that could be cut also. ...
funding for isreal? crus....or I mean wars against the evil terrorists? want to discuss just how many times I watched the state of ny provide grants and tax breaks to companies as bribes for them to bring jobs in only to have those jobs being not as many as promised, and well, not lasting that long at all before they were shipped off to another country? how about all those tax breaks given to companies that let them skate away without paying any taxes. or those airports and hotels that are built in areas where they aren't needed with gov't funding, and bridges to nowhere? what about we don't provide funds for those studies on the sex life of lobsters, or other crazy crap? we've been fighting wars for over a decade, longer than any period of time in our history I believe.... I imagine that by far has stressed out our finances than any other thing we are spending money on! and there's danged politicians that will rant and wave about how much we spend to feed kids, provide them with home, how social security is broke, just to turn around a few minute later to rant and rave about how we need to fight the evil terrorists halfway around the world!!! they'll scream about "responsibility" yes will predict doom if the wages are raise closer to the amount needed to the cost of living. they'll fight tooth and nail any program that might help women prevent becoming pregnant, but they don't want to help feed or clothe those kids once they are born. they want to open the borders wide open (bush didn't do much of anything to keep them out either!!) so they can have lots of cheap labor, but then scream about how these immigrants might be a danger to us.

We've been in trouble for the last several decades and the writing was on the wall back then, and nothing they have done served any purpose but to hasten the inevitable from happening. I don't really believe that there is anything we can do now to prevent it. but well, if you want to rush it along any faster, by all means cut the funding for the social safety net... that is probably the fastest way to hit rock bottom! go ahead do it, but don't anyone thing that they will not be buried along with the least among us.... the repercussions would be so bad at this point, very few would be able to walk away. but ya, go ahead...do it.
otherwise, quit griping about the small amount of money that goes to family planning services. it's a drop in the bucket and just might serve to keep some who are living without assistance to continue to live without assistance. and people who are on gov't assistance don't donate to the funds that pays for them, or the wars, or the grants and incentives that are given to big business, or the medical research, or the bridges that are build that lead nowhere, or the airports that only serve to save a few miles of driving time to the next airport, or the hotels that are built in areas where there are 20 or more hotels already operating at half capacity or less.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana
a reply to: vjr1113

In my opinion, the second you get pregnant. This is my opinion, any abortion is murder.

I also don't care if you want to kill off your children, just stay away from mine. My morals I don't force upon anyone. They are mine and you wont be getting me to decide killing off my children is a good thing. Animals do that, animals. I am a human being and you wont change me into an animal any time soon.

So, my morals are my own, and yours are yours. I wont pay for you to kill off your own children though. It is against every thing I stand for and you cannot steal my money or force even one red cent of mine to pay for you to murder your unborn.

so a sperm in an egg have just as much rights as a breathing thinking human?

i think i rest my case.
edit on 13-2-2016 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-2-2016 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Zika virus is just another misinformation program.

There are so many lies behind this ridiculus virus that I can't even start numbering them. At the end of the day it's just another "pandemia" the world must be scared of ( like Ebola, N1H1, crazy cow, swine flu...) the only difference is that the "danger" is hanging on pregnant women, therefore much controversy will araise concerning their right to abort or not.

I'm Brazilian and I can't tell you that the stats that the media is publishing are misinterpreted and inaccurate, once we are speaking about states where malnutrition is widespread, where doctors can't tell the difference between pregnancy or a fat person, we don't even have labs or professionals enough in the research area to (in such a short time) identify the problem and offer any hypothesis.

yap... I'm not worry about it.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tsctsc

Hi.

Why are Brazilian people so friendly? I have met a Brazilian on another board years ago and he was really cool. He had no idea who I was.
When Americans go to Brazil and meet people there they are very friendly to them.It is on Youtube. The American tourists are total strangers to them and act like they are cool with them.

edit on 13-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
dbl post.
edit on 13-2-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: dble post

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I am bit worry about the problem the zika virus is causing to the unborn, a virus that since the 40s only infested two persons in its place of origin, now is all over Brazil, interesting, then it doesn't really kill the infested but is devastating to the unborn.

And guess who is behind funding the Zika exploitation back in the 40s Rockefeller Foundation.

We can thank Brazil for the killer bees spread now the Zika is also been spreading from Brazil.

I wonder, as for the republican what can I say, they are politicians full of crap.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

I am bit worry about the problem the zika virus is causing to the unborn, a virus that since the 40s only infested two persons in its place of origin, now is all over Brazil, interesting, then it doesn't really kill the infested but is devastating to the unborn.

And guess who is behind funding the Zika exploitation back in the 40s Rockefeller Foundation.

We can thank Brazil for the killer bees spread now the Zika is also been spreading from Brazil.

I wonder, as for the republican what can I say, they are politicians full of crap.

Look at the people infected in Colombia. How many of them had birth defects compared to Brazil?

Something strange is going on.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join