It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans think that latin American women with Zika should be denied abortions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Why these dirtbags think this is any of their business is beyond me. Why anyone would want to force people to have deformed children that will suffer the rest of their lives and probably bankrupt their parents is hard to believe.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

"Each child is made in the image of God and has inherent worth," he said.

Let's keep church and state separate.
edit on 10-2-2016 by ExNihiloRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'm confused. How can Republicans force anyone to have a deformed baby in another country? They don't have any jurisdiction south of the border and they can't stop anyone here. Also how is any of this going to stop the spread of a mosquito born disease?
edit on 10-2-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ExNihiloRed

Oh the stupidity.

Want to explain that comment???

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Who cares what they think?
They don't make the laws in these Latin American countries that prohibit abortion.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Oh the stupidity.

Want to explain that comment???

I changed my comment because I figured it would get misinterpreted. What I meant was it was stupid for people to think these women in third world countries have the ability to properly control when they get pregnant as was suggested in the quote.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: EightTF3

In light of the epidemic, the United States Agency for International Development has recommended that the U.S. offer contraception and family planning services in Latin America to assist affected populations and keep the virus from spreading. Reproductive rights advocates are urging the endemic countries to loosen their abortion laws to accommodate pregnant women who contract Zika. House Democrats also emphasized the importance of increasing birth control access for women at the hearing on Wednesday, since the U.S. has longstanding prohibitions on foreign aid money being used to pay or advocate for abortion.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

In light of the epidemic, the United States Agency for International Development has recommended that the U.S. offer contraception and family planning services in Latin America to assist affected populations and keep the virus from spreading. Reproductive rights advocates are urging the endemic countries to loosen their abortion laws to accommodate pregnant women who contract Zika. House Democrats also emphasized the importance of increasing birth control access for women at the hearing on Wednesday, since the U.S. has longstanding prohibitions on foreign aid money being used to pay or advocate for abortion.

I read it may spread through saliva. The virus will still spread but it won't result in birth defects under that logic.
edit on 10-2-2016 by ExNihiloRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

In light of the epidemic, the United States Agency for International Development has recommended that the U.S. offer contraception and family planning services in Latin America to assist affected populations and keep the virus from spreading.

Now your last question is fair, but I think this is about this being the solution to stop it, just an option once the mother knows that she is carrying it.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ExNihiloRed

That's right they have very little control. That is what we are trying to change.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

a reply to: CB328

"Each child is made in the image of God and has inherent worth," he said.

Let's keep church and state separate.

That is exactly what I thought when I read that, get so tired of reading things like that.

I don't want my gov officials thinking about what their religion has to say about something when making a decision.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I read it may spread through saliva. The virus will still spread but it won't result in birth defects under that logic.

If so that would make it more difficult but it will still help.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   

That's right they have very little control. That is what we are trying to change.

I just cannot imagine this is a solution. There is no guarantee they will even use the contraceptive devices, and what if they fail (they are not 100% full proof). Also, this will not stop the spread of the virus, which may move through saliva. It will stop the immediate impact, but not the spread.

Maybe our government should stop imposing its will on other countries and focus its time and effort on finding a real solution, or, you know, a cure.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
All women should be required to have abortions until we can get a handle on this and other viruses..... Ummm jk

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I just cannot imagine this is a solution. There is no guarantee they will even use the contraceptive devices, and what if they fail (they are not 100% full proof). Also, this will not stop the spread of the virus, which may move through saliva. It will stop the immediate impact, but not the spread.

So if it's only 10% effective that is still 10% more effective than doing nothing.

Maybe our government should stop imposing its will on other countries and focus its time and effort on finding a real solution, or, you know, a cure.

That's just it, we are influencing them now which is why they have such policies now.

House Republicans running the Zika virus hearing avoided the issue of contraception and family planning access for women in endemic countries and instead urged women to welcome babies born with microcephaly.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
All women should be required to have abortions until we can get a handle on this and other viruses..... Ummm jk

Not required. Have a choice. Big difference.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Listen, I am not even sure what we are arguing about. I agree we should be doing whatever we can to stop the spread of this virus. I do not think this horrible epidemic should serve as a sounding board for religious ideologies or short-sighted solutions.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I didn't know we were arguing.....yet.

I don't think birth control is short sighted. It's trying to stop major trouble in the future caring for a huge population of disabled people. To me that IS planning for the future.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I didn't know we were arguing.....yet.

I don't think birth control is short sighted. It's trying to stop major trouble in the future caring for a huge population of disabled people. To me that IS planning for the future.

I find your point difficult to argue with in theory. With that said, I want to make sure that is one weapon in the arsenal not the only weapon.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Pay for contraception short-term, sure.

Pay for abortion, no.
edit on 10-2-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join