It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Panel Recommends Depression Screening For Adolescents

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Are you implying that depression is NOT a mental illness?

Yes, However there are many forms of depression, and some that might be considered a mental illness.

But It is my "opinion" regular mild depression is not a mental illness.

Yes, I could be wrong, however I am not a doctor.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator
a reply to: Sublimecraft

The government is coming for our guns and all Americans that are tested and found depressed will be labeled "mentally ill".

Are you implying that depression is NOT a mental illness?

I'm not implying anything because that's not my comment - reassess who you wish to answer your query.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

I had not seen that one, thanks.

If those two videos were seen by everyone on the planet, can you imagine the uproar it would cause?

EDIT: I just noticed that it appears that the two were friends:

Jeff Schaler is the owner and producer of The Thomas S. Szasz Cybercenter for Liberty and Responsibility. Thomas Szasz and Jeff Schaler suggest that visitors to this site read the following summary statement as a manifesto...a summary statement of Dr. Szasz's work and ideas.

www.szasz.com...

"Myth of mental illness." Mental illness is a metaphor (metaphorical disease). The word "disease" denotes a demonstrable biological process that affects the bodies of living organisms (plants, animals, and humans). The term "mental illness" refers to the undesirable thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of persons. Classifying thoughts, feelings, and behaviors as diseases is a logical and semantic error, like classifying the whale as a fish.

As the whale is not a fish, mental illness is not a disease. Individuals with brain diseases (bad brains) or kidney diseases (bad kidneys) are literally sick. Individuals with mental diseases (bad behaviors), like societies with economic diseases (bad fiscal policies), are metaphorically sick. The classification of (mis)behavior as illness provides an ideological justification for state-sponsored social control as medical treatment.

Thomas Szasz's Summary Statement and Manifesto

edit on Feb000000Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:08:18 -06007pm29Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:08:18 -060020160810 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11
a reply to: Informer1958

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

Depression Anxiety and some other Disorders are actually the correct responses considering the way life has become. The creepy folks you need to watch are the ones Happy Positive and Solution oriented 24/7

Happy people make me nauseous. Can't trust someone who smiles carelessly.
When the mandatory testing starts, I'm screwed. My world views are getting me immediately thrown into a FEMA camp, no doubt about it.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Esoterotica

Being a guard doesn't count.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Many of us are 'depressed' because of this type of CRAP.

Government is over reaching, people are broke and the same Government says all is well, and "look at these low paying jobs we've created.

We're lied to. We're inundated with foreign invaders and told that our society adding Millions is great. We're told that the Banking sector is just fine. Our water is poisoned. Roads crumbling. Gas leaks for months with no fixes. Overcrowding. No affordable house in decent areas without rent being 50% of your take home pay.

We have to watch a BS candidates promise us the world and lie to us.

We have large masses of brain dead zombies on Facebook and Twitter that post cat and dog pics all day, and if not that pretending how grand their lives are.

We have large masses of illegal drug addicted, sick, pharmaceutical pill stuffed Cheetoh munching, football worshipping fanatics.

And many of us are told not to speak, shut up, go away, embrace the dark, you're not cool if you don't bow down to Pop Culture, etc. etc.

Depression? Nah it's much more. It's a down right CIRCUS of freaks and chaos.

You can exercise 1 hour every day, take your Fish Oil, get sunlight, keep a "positive" attitude for only so long...but step back into ANY reality to what's going on, and if you have a soul, it' pretty disturbing.

If you're not angered, you're not paying attention.

[/rant]

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I believe all members of Congress and the President should all have to pass a psychiatrists screening and no they don't get to pick their psychiatrists either.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I have to wonder which presidential candidates approve of this.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

But It is my "opinion" regular mild depression is not a mental illness.

Why exactly?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I have to wonder which presidential candidates approve of this.

We'll have to elect them to find out.

Isn't that how these things work now?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Oh I don't know, because it makes zero sense.

That exactly is why.
edit on 10-2-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

So because you lack understanding of it, we should just abandon its current classification?

We are talking clinical depression here, right? Not a once in awhile episode or moment of sadness.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
a reply to: Leonidas

I thought you didn't want the mentally ill to have access to guns?

I do.

However, I don't think suffering from depression is a form of metal illness. Many good drugs are available that can squash depression and a person can live a normal life.

I see the term depression without defining the specific causes and duration as being too vague and subjective to be a valid reason to declare someone mentally incompetent to reject their right to own firearms. Depression in and of itself can be manic or it can be a completely temporary condition that results from a stressful or traumatic life experience with no long term lingering effects. Just applying the term, depression, is not specific enough reason to limit a persons constitutional rights but this government doesn't give a rats ass as long as they can take any opportunity to infringe.

PS: For any federal authority monitoring this site, I am one of the happiest people you will ever meet.
edit on 10-2-2016 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think most of us have nothing to fear. We're inflating the danger because a lot of us probably have some kind of mental illness or might need a drug now and then to get through something. But rarely is it severe or lifelong or otherwise a danger to others.. When ti's severe it can be a problem not just for the person but everybody else who might be confronted by them. As a society, we're just having to face up to the facts: there're some mentally damaged people who're a legitimate danger.
edit on 2/10/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I believe all members of Congress and the President should all have to pass a psychiatrists screening and no they don't get to pick their psychiatrists either.

Very good idea...

The only downside to that is we would have to move the DSM from the fiction section over to the non-fiction section.

But it would be well worth it IMHO...

NPD disorder Hitler Stalin, Mao, - Google Search
narcissistic personality disorder NPD Obama - Google Search
NPD disorder Hitler Stalin Mao Obama - Google Search

edit on Feb000000Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:34:17 -06007pm29Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:34:17 -060020163410 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

So you're ok with a mandatory test given by the government to determine if they think you're sane enough to exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So you're ok with a mandatory test given by the government to determine if they think you're sane enough to exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution?

I'm not happy about it and would exercise every right to avoid it. BUT I do think we're exaggerating the danger. And I think we do that because we all have flaws and we're afraid it'll be misconstrued.

It's strange how some people are ready and willing to use pills for mental problems while others are much more abstinent about it. I've heard and read before a truly crazy person doesn't believe they're crazy and will refuse treatment. But what about those people who might confess to a problem but refuse medication anyway? It's a lot like people who refuse a doctor because they prefer alternative medicine. Is that itself a mental illness? Why should someone turn away professional help?
edit on 2/10/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

If they are going to put pre conditions on exercising a right, then what's to stop them from putting pre conditions when you want to exercise any other rights?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Tiamat384

It'd be very easy to deceive if anyone even bothered trying I'd think so it shouldn't be a problem for those worried about loss of rights or a totalitarian like system.

The very idea of our government whom had swore an oath to protect the Constitutions, is secretly chipping away at the second Amendment behind closed doors.

Sort'a ... kind'a ... maybe ... ... like an act of treason?

Even 'a conspiracy' to do so could be prosecuted as a felony.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

So because you lack understanding of it, we should just abandon its current classification?

We are talking clinical depression here, right? Not a once in awhile episode or moment of sadness.

Are you being serious or trolling?

Go look over the post you replied to and then go look up the definition of clinical depression.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join