It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld threatens Nato boycott over Belgian war crimes lawsuits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Tensions between Europe and America burst into the open again yesterday when the US threatened to boycott Nato meetings and froze spending on the organisation's new headquarters in Brussels in protest against Belgian war crimes cases against Americans.

At a Nato meeting in Brussels, Donald Rumsfeld, the US Defence Secretary, launched a ferocious attack on Belgium, whose controversial human rights laws give its courts power to try foreigners for war crimes even if they were committed abroad.

With those indicted including General Tommy Franks, the commander of US forces in Iraq, Mr Rumsfeld accused Belgium, which opposed the American-led war, of turning its legal system into "a platform for divisive, politicised lawsuits against its Nato allies". He added: "It would obviously not be easy for US officials or potentially coalition officials, civilian or military, to come to Belgium for meetings. Certainly until this matter is resolved we will have to oppose any further spending for construction for a new Nato headquarters here in Brussels."

Nato, which recently decided to admit seven more member states, has agreed to construct a new home and has selected a site opposite its current base. The project is expected to cost �200m to �400m (�140m to �280m).

news.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I was looking to do this topic.

Don't worry, the new belgian gov ( a so-called right-wing and a real left-wing coalition ) is looking to change the law. That stupid law will be so changed it will come useless to try to use it.

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The law is kinda stupid. Why waste money on prosecuting folk you will never be able to punish? It's not like Gen. Franks and the rest are gunna turn themselves in when they have full protection from the USG. But I like how everything comes down to childish blackmail.

"Well, if I can't use your ball I'm taking my jumprope and going home."

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Rumsfeld. Zionist Jew. Go figure. I bet this has something to do with belguim wanting to have Sharon brought beofre an International Tribunal for war crimes in Beirut?

Figures. Hell, I remeber when American Jews were circulating a boycott on belgian goods, demanding everyone boycott belguim because the dared to try and get Sharon. Needess to say, I increased my consumption of Belgian chocolate

It has to start somewhere, let it start here. We cant keep letting war criminals run coutnries and more than we should let a draft dodging cowardly deserter run ours. I say, support Belguim in thier effort to make the world a better place.

Besides, if Rumsfeld endorses something, you know it something rotten and fishy.

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

I say, support Belguim in thier effort to make the world a better place.

I wonder how the Belgium Gov will help the world to be better since the Belgium Gov don't know how to do Belgium a good place for her OWN peoples.

That law is stupid and useless. Except when it come to make us fools in the eyes of the world.In that case, that law is very usefull !!!

[Edited on 16-6-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
and that's why UP gets my vote. U gotta love that.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Are you people crazy????

So the US and Israel should be exempt from the laws that they helped create??????

Does the US promote murder and genocide????

I guess so. So it seems do ya'll.(Ya'll got to love that word.)

I think those that think this law is stupid are not really thinking about the end result. In the end we cannot escape our sins. So we must face them today. If that means bringing justice to the unjust then so be it.

What is wrong with that???

Is it not reasonable enough for you????

Well what is more reasonable????

Chaos or order???????

You decide.

The choice you make now will determine you fate for all of eternity.

Why do you think terrorists like Al-Quida strike????

Because of chaos like this.

They attack because no one else does.

Some people feel as if the corruptors must pay the price for their crimes. Those people don't realize that in the end it is all null. If they only knew that this was in God's hands then they wouldn't be vigilantes. Yet something deep down tells them that is not so.

Those people are mistaken. Corruptors such as Sharon and Stalin will pay for their crimes. As will people like Bin Laden and Ahmed Yassin.

What we must ask ourselves is this:

Is it worth waiting for????

Is complacency the answer????

I doubt it. That is just as corrupt if you ask me.

That is why we have police officers.

If we are going to let the biggest criminals in the world committ such horrible crimes then we might as well let drug dealers infest our schools and the minds of our children.

Why punish one and not the other????

Is that not the biggest hypocrisy ever known to humanity??????

I think so.

Who here agrees with me???????

Abraham

[Edited on 16-6-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Abraham Virtue

1) Does the US promote murder and genocide????

2) If that means bringing justice to the unjust then so be it.

3) Chaos or order???????

4) The choice you make now will determine you fate for all of eternity.

5) Why do you think terrorists like Al-Quida strike????

6) They attack because no one else does.

7) Corruptors such as Sharon and Stalin will pay for their crimes. As will people like Bin Laden and Ahmed Yassin.

8) Who here agrees with me???????

1) I don't think so.

2) When I see Palestinians terrorists sueing someone in my country, and in the same time, the Justice of my country who's not able to protect her own citizen, I wonder where is the Justice.

3) Until it's not new one, I vote " order ".

4) I know.

5) You can give them all the excuse that you want, for me, they are just terrorists and they'll stay forever terrorists.

6) Good idea. Let's do a worldwide coalition against the USA and we'll live in a wonderfull democracy as the peoples have in China and Russia. I can't wait anymore. When do we do that coalition ?

7) Sharon is like Stalin ? No AV. If Sharon was like Stalin or Bin Laden or Ahmed Yassin the whole middle-east would be actually burning and all the muslims nation would be in ash.

8) 50/50

new topics

top topics

join