It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expected LRS-B costs come down significantly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
While we are all concerned about the new budget and what it will do to the military and the dunderheads running the air force right now, one bit that has had many of us concerned about was the sudden drop in the request for the just launched Long Range Strike Bomber. The US Air Force, through the White House budget, requested $9.5 billion. The expectation based on what was said back at the selection was $13B. It has been getting played in the press as a cut to the LRS-B, a raid on its money.

However! The US Air Force has co me back and said, no, its not a raid! We don't need that much money! The same amount of work can be done with less because we understand the strategy, risks and technology maturity of the Northrop bird (B-3?) much better.

If this is true, its actually really great news. The question is whether we believe the fighter mafia run blue beanies or not.

Your guys' thoughts?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

That's why they were flying the demonstrators. Their plan worked perfectly.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I suspected as much. Fly the demos, test the frak out of them and then come in cheaper than feared.

Now let's hope they pull it off.

My only concern has been that the USAF would just spin this rather than really be the case.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

From what I've been told they did everything you can think of with the demonstrators, including flying some actual missions with them. They really put them through the ringer and twisted, folded, and mutilated to test everything they could possibly think of.

RAB

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Lets all just hope that the 16th marks the end of the disputes.

RAB

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
flying some actual missions with them.

That's fascinating. How often do prototype aircraft get used in real world situations I wonder?

Also, what do they mean by actual missions? Were they dropping ordinance or just getting intel?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomTwo

I remember a news story or zaph mentioning that we saw something happen because there was "something" of ours in the area.

Did I remember that right?
edit on 10-2-2016 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I thought that was more to do with the RQ-180?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gfad

There have been several of those type of stories over the last few years. Most of them are buried in the boards.

posted on Feb, 15 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What time does the GAO normally put out its findings? Do they wait until after the market closes?

Yes, yes. its tomorrow, but...

top topics

join