It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Issue With 4 Hour Edit Window

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
This morning I made a post at 9:59am my time, which is what the post's timestamp shows. Just a few minutes ago, at 12:08pm my time, I tried to edit it, and it says that I've exceeded the 4 hour window, even though it's only been 2 hours 9 minutes. I've noticed this before, but never got around to mentioning it.

Is the edit window still actually 4 hours, and there's just some sort of bug, or has the window been reduced, and that string just not edited to reflect the change?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

That would explain why I couldn't rectify the embarrassing grammatical error I made this morning.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
This morning I made a post at 9:59am my time, which is what the post's timestamp shows. Just a few minutes ago, at 12:08pm my time, I tried to edit it, and it says that I've exceeded the 4 hour window, even though it's only been 2 hours 9 minutes. I've noticed this before, but never got around to mentioning it.

Is the edit window still actually 4 hours, and there's just some sort of bug, or has the window been reduced, and that string just not edited to reflect the change?

I am pretty sure it is now 2 hours meaning that you were 9 minutes late.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
As long as I've been here, it's always said 4 hours, and it's always only been a 2 hour edit time. Don't know why.

At least as far as my memory remembers, and I have a fairly good memory.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

I am pretty sure it is now 2 hours meaning that you were 9 minutes late.

That's what I was thinking as well, but I couldn't find anything definitively saying as much. In either case, the page that comes up when trying to edit an older post still says 4 hours.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
In the next round of updates, we'll be expanding the edit window on all posts, and double-that for opening posts.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance
if you go into the edit screen of a recent post, one made in the last few minutes, you will see a message just above the white box.
It says; "Apply your edit (you have x minutes remaining to edit this post)".
The essential point to notice is that this message counts down from 120 minutes.
Which is only 2 hours in the rest of the universe.
The later "4 hours" message is evidently based on the special ATS 30-minute hour.

edit on 10-2-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Were I in charge, I would cut that edit time to 15 minutes.
I have a couple of reason.
1 We have a preview button which allows us to preview what it is we are putting up on the boards. Members who use this function are more likely to get it right before posting. They might give more consideration to their words and ideas.

2 Members should be accountable for information put out into the public. We should consider the balance of what we post, rather than just tossing it up there.

3 We see at times that a member will post something. Then when someone challanges that statement, the OP goes back and changes it to fit the critisism, to remove the dvidence of their own weak thinking

So I hold to that idea. 15 minute edit window.

Though I know that three reasons are not really, 'a couple' I will not go back and edit that out.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
1 We have a preview button which allows us to preview what it is we are putting up on the boards. Members who use this function are more likely to get it right before posting. They might give more consideration to their words and ideas.

2 Members should be accountable for information put out into the public. We should consider the balance of what we post, rather than just tossing it up there.

3 We see at times that a member will post something. Then when someone challanges that statement, the OP goes back and changes it to fit the critisism, to remove the dvidence of their own weak thinking

Though I know that three reasons are not really, 'a couple' I will not go back and edit that out.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Talk about a grand fo paw after such a staunch statement as I made above,

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
to everyone having problems :

is your computer clock synched to the ATS forum clock ?

if it isnt you will think that the 4 hour window should still be open - when its gone

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

got to agree with poster - the edit window should be minuites not hours

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Based on my napkin math I believe this to be correct.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

15 minutes is maybe a bit short.

But I would like to add that an option to just "add" instead of "edit" for a longer period of time might be useful. And that mainly for the openings posts... It withhold the writer from pulling back statements but give room to expand the info.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

OP should be able to continue to edit OP without restrictions, especially for threads doing research. That way the OP can update the top post with relevant info so that when people stumble into the thread they have the most up to date info. It would also be nice if you could view the edit history to eliminate issues that you describe.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
In the next round of updates, we'll be expanding the edit window on all posts, and double-that for opening posts.

This is a good change. Any chance in the future of having an option to view edit history? I know it will expand database space and stuff but I think it would be very useful.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Yes. dumbass, that is a great suggestion. The ability to expand rather then to edit. Good idea.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Sweet.. .. I am overseas my window is only two hours and I am 12 hours ahead.. any ideas atsers ?

top topics

join