It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now THIS is taking recycling way too far! WARNING: Super disgusting!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Just in case some of you received a package of hair ties in your Christmas stocking, I thought I should warn you!.

CDC Warns: Hair Bands From China Made Of Used Condoms, Could Spread STD’s
now8news.com...

The Center For Disease Control (CDC) is warning Americans that used condoms have been reportedly reprocessed into rubber bands and hair ties and have been sold in the United States, raising concerns about public health safety. Aside from being sold at local swap meets and flea markets, the recycled condoms have been found at local beauty salons all across the country.

The CDC says this threatens the health of consumers who are using these products and are concerned that using these hair ties and rubber bands could lead to the spread of AIDS, genital warts and other STD’s. The CDC has released this statement: “The amount of bacteria and potential viruses on these hair ties and rubber bands, which are made from used unsanitary condoms, has 4 times the bacteria found on a public restroom toilet. Consumers could potentially be infected with AIDS, warts, herpes and other venereal diseases if they hold the rubber bands or hair ties in their mouths while setting their hair. We warn against consumers purchasing these products if they were made in China.”

edit on 10-2-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords
I think this may be fake story, but we have had our fair share of products coming from China that were harmful and nothing has happened to the companies doing business with them.

Don't worry is not like China is manufacturing the computer chips in our defence system.

Surely our gov't is on top of this despite the billions being made by lobbyist doing business with China. Surely they wouldn't put what is best for us on the line for profit.

What are economy needs and Americans need is more third world nations with no regulations to build our products and for foreign workers with h1 visas to take middle-class jobs.

edit on 16229America/ChicagoWed, 10 Feb 2016 13:16:14 -0600000000p2942 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Pretty gross, however, you would think that they would have to melt the condoms down to reform into hair ties....and would that not kill the bacteria?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Seems bogus when I read that it would spread AIDS.

The HIV virus dies very quickly outside the body and would definitely not survive the recycling process into rubber bands. I would assume the rest of the STDs would be the same.

The CDC would never use the word AIDS when referring to the spread of the HIV virus.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
How many times have you seen a girl hold a tie in her mouth while she preps her hair into a ponytail?!!! Yuck and double yuck! Can the World Health Organization fine a country for allowing this disgusting practice.

'Made in China' is on everything! I bet you can't find a package of hair ties from anywhere else.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

The HIV virus dies very quickly outside the body and would definitely not survive the recycling process into rubber bands. I would assume the rest of the STDs would be the same.

The CDC would never use the word AIDS when referring to the spread of the HIV virus.

I hope it is bogus. I'm going to see if I can get better info.

But checking with Snopes, they say it is true.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BadBoYeed

A look at the link suggests the hair ties are made from raw condoms wrapped in thread. No melting required.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I just gotta skip any checking on factuality of this report. Seems more like a comedy farce than real.
Makes no sense otherwise.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Is this site legitimate? The next article has a headline that says "ALERT: NASA Confirms Earth Will Go Dark For 8 Days In December 2015 #Darkness2015" ......I'm not really finding the claims believable.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

I agree - I'm going to see what I can find out, but this reads like complete nonsense. Another piece which makes no sense is that absolutely zero of those diseases are caused by bacteria (they're all viral.) I'm calling BS, but will return with further information if I find any confirmation of this being a HOAX or in the unlikely event that it is true.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
There's nothing on the CDC website about this which makes me think it's BS especially when none of the articles that google brings up about this actually offer a source to back up their claims

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Ok, so I know Snopes is the lazy man's, Debunker's Wikipedia as far as sources go, but I'm at work sneaking on the internet, and this seems pretty clear cut. Worth a read though, there is a tiny element of truth:

t's important to note that the hairbands sold in China in 2007 were not made from used condoms. Instead, the hair ties were made with new prophylactics that were recycled after they failed to meet quality standards during manufacturing.

Snopes

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
www.snopes.com...

I looked it up once and it said True, but that was directed by a hyperlink from an article.

When I went directly to Snopes, it said False.

Whew!! That had me scared because there are so many girls in my circle of friends and family that use hair ties all the time.

Sorry, folks!
edit on 10-2-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Seriously..!?

Common sense tells you this is bs..
Firstly. How can any of those viruses survive processing and transport from China?
Secondly.. This type of activity would have been blown a long time ago..
Thirdly where are they going to get millions of used condoms for this sort of production. .
And lastly what's the f ing point of doing this?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: BadBoYeed

A look at the link suggests the hair ties are made from raw condoms wrapped in thread. No melting required.

Even if raw used condoms were used, I've read that HIV has very small time frame outside of body, like seconds. As posted above by member. I do see the risk in catching something else though and this practice, if true is really disgusting.
Where would some hair band company acquire so many used condoms!? I'm guessing thousands made? That's alot of collecting from people. Who collects thousands of used condoms?! Crazy!

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Unless there is a cdc link to prove this true this is nothing more then an old hoax from at least 2008 maybe older.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Using recycled new rejects makes sense.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

Ok, so I know Snopes is the lazy man's, Debunker's Wikipedia as far as sources go, but I'm at work sneaking on the internet, and this seems pretty clear cut. Worth a read though, there is a tiny element of truth:

t's important to note that the hairbands sold in China in 2007 were not made from used condoms. Instead, the hair ties were made with new prophylactics that were recycled after they failed to meet quality standards during manufacturing.

Snopes
Then there is really no risk to getting sick from bacteria and this story is phony baloney.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Beach combing?

About 900 condoms were found on Florida's beaches during a three-hour litter collection . . .
cltampa.com... PvbmLREU

Actually it seems some hair ties were made from rejected new condoms. Sensible recycling. As long as you don't cut them open and start questioning.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well, I can see some good in SOME of this information.

1) The Chinese ARE using condoms. That's good.

2) The Chinese ARE recycling. That's good.

3) The Chinese ARE resourceful. That's good.

4) I have learned a new source in lieu of a rubber band, however mine will be virgin. That's good.

This however:

Very bad if the article is true. I do wonder why they are claiming the condoms are recycled, because hey, that's like millions of condoms plus the depots for accumulating and processing them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join