It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mysterious Mammoth Carcass Could Change Human History

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
This is a very cool news. If prooven correctly, it wil lshow that humans arrived in Americas up to 10.000 years previous than tought, which would be quite a find.

This 45,000 year-old mammoth’s life ended violently at the hands of hunters. That wouldn’t be surprising—it’s well known that Pleistocene humans were expert mammoth killers—but for the location. It was excavated from a permafrost embankment at Yenisei bay, a remote spot in central Siberia where a massive river empties into the Arctic Ocean.

The carcass was remarkably well preserved, but something was clearly wrong. A rounded hole through the interior jugal. Deep incisions along the ribs. Dents in the left scapula. A broken mandible. That makes this brutalized mammoth the oldest evidence for human expansion into the high Arctic by a wide margin. Its discovery, published today in Science, might push back the timeline for when humans entered the northernmost reaches of the world—including the first entries into North America.

“We [now] know that the eastern Siberia up to its Arctic limits was populated starting at roughly 50,000 years ago,” said Vladimir Pitulko, an archaeologist at the Russian Academy of Sciences and lead author on the study. “This makes our window into the remote part [of the planet] open wider.”

Bones of the ancient beast were first discovered jutting out of a river bank in 2012. The Russian Academy of Sciences deployed an excavation team to study it. That team, led by Pitulko and Alexei Bystrov, soon realized they were looking at something unusual.

“When the frozen block with the carcass arrived in St. Petersburg, I went to the Zoological Museum to look at bones and a tusk,” Pitulko said. “The second bone which I picked up (that was the fifth left rib) had a clear pattern of human impact. Then other injuries were discovered.”

The injuries, Pitulko said, were without a doubt caused by human hunters. And when the archaeologists returned to the scene to collect soil samples for radiocarbon dating, things got really interesting. Radiocarbon analysis revealed the mammoth was killed 45,000 years ago—in a part of the world where humans weren’t supposed to be living at that time. The closest other evidence of modern humans is from dig sites located over 1,000 miles south and ten thousand years later.

The discovery challenges our current understanding of early human history. Archaeologists believe that the ability to survive in far northern climates was related to technological advancements, including the widespread adoption of ivory hunting spears. If those advances had already occurred 45,000 years ago, then people could conceivably have crossed the Bering Land Straight into North America around that time. By comparison, our current oldest evidence for humans in North America only dates back about 15,000 years.

What do you think about this?

Source

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Oh right.

Mainstream archeaology.

I believe nothing of what they say our history is, none of it.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Oh come on...statistically at least some of it is bound to be true

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Ok that's true. In order for me to take any mainstream archeology seriously they need to tell the truth about our history and megalithic structures and stop lying about everything to maintain their degree programs.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Ok that's true. In order for me to take any mainstream archeology seriously they need to tell the truth about our history and megalithic structures and stop lying about everything to maintain their degree programs.

What lies about Megalithic structures? xD

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

When how and why they were built and by whom.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Convenient for your narrative, but utterly at odds with the evidence.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

If you say so!

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Convenient for your narrative, but utterly at odds with the evidence.

the problem with archeologic evidence is...it's always subject to interpretation and dependent on the currently accepted understanding of the related finds.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

It's also establishment nonsense kind of like politics.

To much ego and peer review tyranny keeps anything else from becoming mainstream.

Mounting evidence to support an alternative view is becoming more and more accepted and validated as years go on.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Archeology uses multiple, independent lines of evidence to come to conclusions. Do you have any specific, tangible criticisms against this field of science?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Well I for one have been saying for years here at ATS, that Man was in the New world for far longer than is academically believed, However, This was on the Siberian side not North America. Interesting find but we need a bit more meat on those bones as proof of Man entering North America, pardon the Pun, before we can declare victory.

Although I've bookmarked the link for future reference.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Oh right.

Mainstream archeaology.

I believe nothing of what they say our history is, none of it.

Who do you believe about history?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Frocharocha

all it shows is that tool using hominids were in northern siberia at the time the mamoth was killed

using this to make the leap " they crossed to the americas " is unevidenced

to claim hominids in america - you need evidence of hominids in america

it really is that simple

having vented that - it is an amazing find - flag for the thread - but no star for you

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

i second that

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It really isn't surprising that they're find more archaeological evidence in Siberia. The permafrost has been melting and a number of archaeological discoveries have been made.

This one about the giant viruses came to mind:

www.smithsonianmag.com...

Like all science, the story is never over. There's no "the end". Which makes it all the more exciting to work in the field.

edit on 10-2-2016 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Who do you believe about history?

This guy. www.memes.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas Its not the "history", its the fact that museums dump boatloads of antiquities into the ocean if it causes friction in the timeline.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Oh come on...statistically at least some of it is bound to be true
At least as much chance as a broken clock has of being correct twice a day :>)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Medicator

citation required

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join