It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows being shocked by a Taser disrupts brain function

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

common sense goes a long way yes

Except it varies from person to person, population doesn't mean validity, and 'common sense' isn't a repeatable and confirmable universal law, nor is it almost ever followed. It's common sense not to smoke or drink alcohol or eat excessively fatty or heavy sugared food too, for health reasons, yet look at humanity.

Science is our best tool in forming accurate conclusions because of it's strictness in it's tests and it's cross evaluation at an objective level through peer review and further, and separate tests.

Is Science absolute fact? no, of course not, nor does it claim to be. Is it our best method at determining functionality and causality in different phenomena? yes, that's why it's used in law. Not because it is law, not because it thinks it's above everything else, but because it has a substantially thorough and excessive track record of producing and determining what is factual evidence.

edit on 10/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

thank you for the well formulated answer.

It's common sense not to smoke or drink alcohol or eat excessively fatty or heavy sugared food too, for health reasons, yet look at humanity.

I just get frustrated and fear science is heading the same direction.

I wont stop believing and hoping that logic and common sense will prevail

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Ghost147
I wont stop believing and hoping that logic and common sense will prevail

May I ask why you feel science isn't logical?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

common sense goes a long way yes

Sure, but the true reality of nature is sometimes counter-intuitive. Ideas that seem like common sense to a scientist can turn out to be wrong once those ideas are tested.

The scientific method strives to remove subjectivity (such as assuming something to be true without testing it, just because it is common sense), and instead provides a process by which a hypothesis can be tested in a more objective manner. Proper science (using the scientific method) refrains from making assumptions that have not been tested.

edit on 2/10/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mapsurfer_

I got a nice chuckle from those videos.

It seems to me that the lesson learned is that a Taser is effective against the vast majority of people. But some people are far less sensitive than would seem possible.

While I think there may be physiological factors involved, I believe in those cases where the Taser seems to be less than effective has more to do with the mindset of the target. Some people have been conditioned to ignore pain, and can overcome its effect with Adrenaline. And a few people actually find pain to be pleasurable.

This is where mental illness has to be taken into consideration when deploying a non-lethal weapon like a Taser. Some people who suffer from various types of mental illness will present completely atypical physiological and psychological responses to these measures.

While the scientific study in the OP is quite enlightening, perhaps it would be prudent to complete another study on those people who appear to be less affected by the Taser. The results from such a study could help law enforcement officers better determine when deploying a Taser would be effective, and when stronger measures are indicated.

-dex

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I was involved in training and simulations a while back mate.

makes sense

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: mapsurfer_

Drug test him. Drugs can impair it's effectiveness.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join