It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows being shocked by a Taser disrupts brain function

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This is in no way shocking (take it or leave it, play on words). It turns out, those electrical functions that occur in your brain are effected by electricity!

New findings from a study by Drexel and Arizona State show a Taser shock can produce serious short-term impairment in a person’s ability to remember and process information. Some participants — otherwise healthy, active college students — showed cognitive declines comparable with dementia. This first-of-its-kind study is the first time the Taser has been submitted to a major randomized clinical trial that wasn’t an in-house venture, and its findings raise serious questions about the ability of tased subjects to understand their rights at the point of arrest.

Source

It appears that the next time you get tasered, and assuming you're a healthy college student, your cognitive abilities will be reduced to to the average level of a 79-year-old adult.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I've been tased before during a training evolution, I do not remember being instructed to do anything and feeling pain like little needles thousands of them tring to force their way out of the finger on my left hand and nose and the sound of running water in my ears. I was told I was thrashing violently trying to resist later on.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I've been tased before during a training evolution, I do not remember being instructed to do anything and feeling pain like little needles thousands of them tring to force their way out of the finger on my left hand and nose and the sound of running water in my ears. I was told I was thrashing violently trying to resist later on.

Sounds like an average level of a 79-year-old adult to me!

Just kidding, sounds pretty excruciating.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
That weapon doesn't stop everyone... X25 Taser
The guy in the video defeats the tazer twice, and I have seen other videos of bad guys who just ignore the tazer effects.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Was a new study really needed?
Isn't it obvious?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
Was a new study really needed?
Isn't it obvious?

Obvious? Probably, yes. But, science doesn't make conclusions on subjective observation and personal opinion. Neither would a court accept "it's obvious that tasers had an effect on [name]".

Now, a person may be able to defend against an accusation because there's scientific evidence that tasers can dramatically effect the brain for a brief period after being tasered.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

That's the problem, it seems like science is the law.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
you put 1,000,000 volts into some one!
I would not suprise me to find out that you get brain damage.
it WAS supost to be Insted of a Gun and geting killed.
but they use it like a word "Stop!"

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Should religion be the law?

At least science is based on things that can be proven, and you know facts.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Here is another good one...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Each time I was tasered I felt better. Got up, danced around. Only trouble I suffered after number three, was rotor cuff syndrome in my shoulders, due to the current passing through my left shoulder and right shoulder. Couple of cortizone needles fixed it.

I quite imagine it would be better than being shot.

I have been 'pepper srayed' many a time and prefer that to the tasar. Tasar drops you.

As to brain malfunction, yes, initially, but I don't think I have any long term effects.

My practical thoughts,

kindest regards,

Bally

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Everything we do is controlled and enabled by electrical signals running through our bodies.
not hard to figure out the damage it causes.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Each time I was tasered

I have been 'pepper srayed' many a time

What kind of person are you if you get tasered and pepper sprayed as much as you do.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

Should religion be the law?

At least science is based on things that can be proven, and you know facts.

Where did i say something about religion? or God?

Why is it always God vs Science?

I'm no believer in any religion except the life that i see in front of me.

If you believe that science equals fact, you're very naive
edit on 10-2-2016 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mapsurfer_

And? Most people can't resist a taser. I just don't see a point to your reply. Sure some can break it but when the majority of people can't I have to ask, what do you think we should do? Some people resist it and yet some people die from it. It seems the median would show that for most people it's extremely effective.

It's often the case that studies done by government agencies will say one thing until until citizens or citizen groups asks the questions the government didn't ask because of its own benefits of not. Perfect example, Flint.
edit on 10-2-2016 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The good news is that if you act like a normal human being, you're likely never going to be tased.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
Obvious? Probably, yes. But, science doesn't make conclusions on subjective observation and personal opinion. Neither would a court accept "it's obvious that tasers had an effect on [name]"

Actually, the fact that they needed a study to verify what others would say is obvious demonstrates the opposite of science thinking that "it is the law".

Science does not make proclamations and hand down edicts without having corroborating evidence "just because it thinks something is obvious". Instead, it asks a question, tests that question, looks for evidence in those test that may answer the question, and then makes statements based on the evidence (or lack of evidence) from those tests.

Would you rather science just makes proclamations without testing their hypotheses first? Do you want science to say "Science proclaims that Tasers do in fact disrupt brain activity, even though science never conducted a study to confirm what a Taser does to a brain"?

edit on 2/10/2016 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

I was involved in training and simulations a while back mate.

Cheers,

Bally.
edit on 10-2-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

common sense goes a long way yes

top topics

<<   2 >>

join