It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone else wished they lived in another era?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
a reply to: Ghost147
Sorry for any reiteration, I suppose I went too literal with the OP because hey... why wish it when you can live it?

No apology necessary, the only issue with the concept is that you can only go backwards, and you can only go backwards so far until things that used to exist (mammoths, for example) simply don't anymore.

But, it would be a good concept otherwise.

Very true I didn't consider the animal aspect for accurate realism... and hmm terra forming other planets with cloned and spliced dna segmented gmo isnt very budget conscious... though here someone might enjoy wearing a sabertooth tiger costume going rawr... I have a feeling some where in the world someone is doing that exact thing for free right now just because they love it so much.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Round about the early mid 1800's for me. Rinding out west into places unknown, hunting, fishing, ect. I think that's about where mankind peaked as far as being naturally adept. Then comes the industrial revolution and it all goes to hell.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Medieval times for me.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
Born too late to explore the world and too early to explore the universe.

Well said, that's exactly how I feel. And perhaps that's the problem of our era that led us to consumerism and entertainment etc..

I would want to visit Rome, 2k years ago. The Rome tv show is in my top 3. And also Baghdad around 1100 years ago to witness for myself those flying carpets.
edit on 10-2-2016 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
I have always liked the 1950's,the music,the cars , drive in theaters,
Saddle oxfords,bobby socks,poodle skirts, soda shops,American bandstand...
All pre-vietnam stuff!

Same. To be a child then and a young adult in the 60s would have been prime for me. Then to raise my children during the years when I was growing up. I loved the time I grew up, and wished it could have been the same for my children . Alas, here we are, and my children will never understand what growing up " free range" is.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Such an optimist.

A certain someone was wrong, and it's getting scary.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Yes , I want to go back at the medieval times, or maybe 80s cause I 'm so fond of its music and movies. Why medieval ? Just simple I like that period, I like books and movies about it, and I feel strange connection with that time. Reading the books I jus have a feeling I experienced that. Who knows, maybe in my past life I was some Knight

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I would have been great during the Renaissance, as I could have made a very decent living making art with my hands, especially with the types of artists that lived back then. Although, I'm quite certain that I would not have liked living in the type of political climate that was around in Italy back then.

I also think that living during the early 19th century would have fit me well, too, back before industrialization took over. I could easily see myself back then.

As for wanting to live in the future--I'm quite certain that I wouldn't want that, because I have no idea what the future has in store, and the direction in which the world is heading isn't one that I exactly embrace.

I'm also with PhantomOrion--it'd be better to be a time traveler where you can visit different times and not have to live your entire life there. As much as I think that it'd take away some of the romanticism of ancient technology and mysteries, it'd be nice to be there to see the true hows and whys without any speculation needed.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Between the wars so I could be a pilot in the golden age of aviation. Exploring new lands from the air with new adventures everyday. I shouldn't complain as I'm a bush pilot in central australia, but my adventures don't compair with that written by Antoine de saint-expury or Cecil Lewis.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I sometimes wish I was born way back just after north america was discovered. Just be an early explorer of north america. Like maybe back in the 1600's. But again the challenge is that life was tougher than we realize back then. We have no concept of just how difficult.

But I guess the other question I could ask you is.....

Do we get to go to the different time period with the knowledge we have right now or not? Because that would make a big difference in what era I'd want to live in.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
But I guess the other question I could ask you is.....

Do we get to go to the different time period with the knowledge we have right now or not? Because that would make a big difference in what era I'd want to live in.

It would be without knowledge. If you were born in another era, which era would that be?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Nothing very ambitious...life in 1960s England as an adult instead of a child.

Being a child then was great, don't get me wrong. But there were lots of perks for adults that I missed out on.

Free further education, apprenticeships, almost full employment and job security, excitement about the future (we now know that was misplaced), cheaper property, an almost monoracial/monocultural society ergo no false race guilt and more social cohesion, pop music was somehow more exciting, easy to form rock/pop bands, less nanny state, sex was 'sexier' somehow (I vaguely remember that)...

Sad but the one thing that sticks out from all that is excitement about the future. It really was the 'dawning of the age of Aquarius'.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley
Hmm. I was a teenager in the Sixties, which was possibly the best of both worlds.
A rural teenager, though, which means that "the Sixties" was something I really experienced only through television.
All those longing for the past in this thread may be forgetting that only a small minority enjoyed the best aspects of the past.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
If I could step back into 1851 and strap a Colt Navy 40 cal Revolver on my hip......I'd be one damn happy human. I've felt like I've lived in the wrong era my whole life.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I'd really just like to be an observer that watches human progress from the outside. Living in any specific era would all come with its unique pros and cons, but to sate my intellectual curiosity, just watching how things develop over time would be what I'd like.

Besides, if you were born in the past, if you were born in the wrong setting or class you'd have a VERY tough and unhappy life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join