It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Teen Fatally Shot By Austin Police Was Naked And Unarmed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

A black teenager who was naked and acting erratically in an Austin, Texas, neighborhood Monday was unarmed when he was fatally shot by police, the Austin Police Department says.

Police say that on Monday morning they received multiple calls from residents of the neighborhood in the northeast of the city reporting the teen, now identified as 17-year-old David Joseph, was "acting erratically" and "chasing" another male in a nearby apartment complex.

Austin Police Chief of Staff Brian Manley told reporters Tuesday that when police arrived at the scene, the teen was not wearing any clothes and proceeded to charge at veteran Officer Geoffrey Freeman, who is also black. Manley said the officer ordered Joseph to stop, but that he did not comply.

"Mr. Joseph ultimately charged at the officer and that's when shots were fired," Manley said, noting Freeman fired just seconds after the confrontation began.

Manley wouldn't say if a stun gun was deployed by the officer during the incident.

Ok. I cannot see a reasonable excuse to use deadly force in this circumstance. I mean the kid was CLEARLY unarmed. Heck he wasn't even clothed. How can you, as a police officer, get confused and think this kid represents a serious threat to your life?

Also, what's the deal with the stun gun? Not hearing if it was deployed or not certainly isn't damning evidence, but it doesn't help the police's case here.

Police say part of the incident was recorded on the officer's dashboard camera, but the shooting itself occurred off camera. Audio from the shooting was recorded and police say the officer can be heard ordering the teen to stop repeatedly after he began charging at the officer.

Well at least the cop ordered him to stop before firing... Though, why lethal force is the go to NEXT measure in the escalation of force measures in this police officer's head is beyond me. Especially for a naked teenager. If the teenager happens to attack him, is the cop afraid his nakedness will rub up against him or something? Sheesh, overpowering a teenager shouldn't exactly be cause for the use of a gun. Plus there are a plethora of non-lethal tactics who could have used first. Let's see off the top of my head there's mace, a stun gun, billie club, and your own hand to hand training that you should be receiving from your police training.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
This is how they operate (police) nowadays.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I doubt that BLM (Black lives Matter) will admit that Police brutality is no longer an issue based on race. This is a serious issue that effects all humans of all types and creeds.

edit on 9-2-2016 by NateTheAnimator because: Grammatical Error

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

"Dispatch, we have a naked teenager on the loose. I'm bringing out the BIG guns this time."

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Unarmed? He was naked, (i.e., crazy), has teeth (can bite) and maybe STD, transmissible by crazy biting naked person…. bang bang.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

A black teenager who was naked and acting erratically in an Austin, Texas, neighborhood Monday was unarmed when he was fatally shot by police, the Austin Police Department says.

Police say that on Monday morning they received multiple calls from residents of the neighborhood in the northeast of the city reporting the teen, now identified as 17-year-old David Joseph, was "acting erratically" and "chasing" another male in a nearby apartment complex.

Austin Police Chief of Staff Brian Manley told reporters Tuesday that when police arrived at the scene, the teen was not wearing any clothes and proceeded to charge at veteran Officer Geoffrey Freeman, who is also black. Manley said the officer ordered Joseph to stop, but that he did not comply.

"Mr. Joseph ultimately charged at the officer and that's when shots were fired," Manley said, noting Freeman fired just seconds after the confrontation began.

Manley wouldn't say if a stun gun was deployed by the officer during the incident.

Ok. I cannot see a reasonable excuse to use deadly force in this circumstance. I mean the kid was CLEARLY unarmed. Heck he wasn't even clothed. How can you, as a police officer, get confused and think this kid represents a serious threat to your life?

Also, what's the deal with the stun gun? Not hearing if it was deployed or not certainly isn't damning evidence, but it doesn't help the police's case here.

Police say part of the incident was recorded on the officer's dashboard camera, but the shooting itself occurred off camera. Audio from the shooting was recorded and police say the officer can be heard ordering the teen to stop repeatedly after he began charging at the officer.

Well at least the cop ordered him to stop before firing... Though, why lethal force is the go to NEXT measure in the escalation of force measures in this police officer's head is beyond me. Especially for a naked teenager. If the teenager happens to attack him, is the cop afraid his nakedness will rub up against him or something? Sheesh, overpowering a teenager shouldn't exactly be cause for the use of a gun. Plus there are a plethora of non-lethal tactics who could have used first. Let's see off the top of my head there's mace, a stun gun, billie club, and your own hand to hand training that you should be receiving from your police training.

Being unarmed does not make you someone any less dangerous. It is not unheard of that a policeman winds up losing control of his firearm to a suspect.

Aren't liberals always telling us in gun control debates that we could get shot by our own weapon? Just saying being unarmed does not make someone less of a threat.

Until all the facts are released, we don't know if it is justified or not. Had they used a stun gun and the kid had a heart attack, someone will be complaining about that too.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Cop 1: "He's naked I don't wanna tackle him"

Cop 2: "I don't wanna tackle him either. Can we taze him?"

Cop 1: "Running around naked like that he could be on PCP, tazing him wouldn't even work"

Cop 2: "Well lets just shoot him then"

Cop 1" "Ok"

Dark humor off I could see a couple of less than honorable peace officers having a similar conversation. Like something from super troopers but evil. I've seen this mentality before in the military and similar cultures those of law enforcement and the military.

edit on 9-2-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

The fact that he was not armed does not make him not a threat to anyones life. The fact that he was chasing another person and then proceded to charge a police officer while being completely naked and behaving eratic are sure signs of a very likely drug induced state, PCP is often a cause for strange behaviour like this and also makes a person like this extremely dangerous and hard to take down. Even if it turns out he was not on drugs he sure made it look like it.

Im usually not one to jump in and take it up for the police when they take someone down especially when they are unarmed but in this case i can imagine taking all things in to account that the officer honestly felt his life and the other man that was being chased was in danger to a very reasonable degree.

Lesson to be learned, dont run around chasing people while naked making everybody suspect your high on PCP or whatever and then charge police officers, your asking for it.

Edit: i only read the OP when i responded but im noticing other people realized the possibility of PCP being in play and for good reason.
edit on 9-2-2016 by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Unarmed? He was naked, (i.e., crazy), has teeth (can bite) and maybe STD, transmissible by crazy biting naked person…. bang bang.

Yet, if he had driven a speeding truck at police, crashed nearly striking one of them, leapt out waving his arms, and had a side arm ... he would have been perfectly harmless.

Gotcha.

link   

a reply to: butcherguy

"Dispatch, we have a naked teenager on the loose. I'm bringing out the BIG guns this time."

But that is not really the whole story is it now. Dont be so dishonest.

link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Being unarmed does not make you someone any less dangerous. It is not unheard of that a policeman winds up losing control of his firearm to a suspect.

Yeah, yeah it does make you far less dangerous.

Two men in a fist fight vs two men in a gun fight, which do you think has the higher mortality rate?

Could an officer lose control of his firearm? Certainly, is shooting an unarmed suspect ever a proper response? No. Not a #ing chance.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Aren't liberals always telling us in gun control debates that we could get shot by our own weapon? Just saying being unarmed does not make someone less of a threat.

Until all the facts are released, we don't know if it is justified or not. Had they used a stun gun and the kid had a heart attack, someone will be complaining about that too.

You were close, but forgot to think about the fact liberals only think people with training can handle anything.

Because being trained in their minds makes you super human.

link   

Perhaps he was mentally unwell and/or on drugs. I wonder if they caught any of it on the dashcam (it doesn't sound like they had bodycams or that probably would have been mentioned).

At least it wasn't all white cops this time, perhaps that will help to minimize the race issue. I feel like the race issue comes into play too often and a lot of the time it's just self-righteous, trigger-happy LEOs who would shoot any "perp" indiscriminately - but obviously people of color are often targeted more often and racism IS still alive and well.

However, it seems to get in the way of productive conversations because fanatics and people who believe it's always because of racism get hung up on the issue.

When will it ever end, so sad.

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Yet, if he had driven a speeding truck at police, crashed nearly striking one of them, leapt out waving his arms, and had a side arm ... he would have been perfectly harmless.

Gotcha.

BOOM!

That is the sound of unbiased realism!

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Gotcha.

A ridiculous bait post.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I'm totally on your side about this but I always try and place myself in the persons shoes and the cops shoes before coming to a judgement call on the situation. A naked man charging you while knowing you have a weapon isn't "functioning normally" Does that mean he was in the wrong? No. Maybe he was trying to get help! maybe it was drugs! maybe it was a domestic dispute gone scary wrong. A taser would have been ideal in that situation.Mace lol shot in some area would have stopped him quickly. Bean bag shot at the bean bag?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
new police motto "shoot first, ask questions later"!!!
edit on 9-2-2016 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I see a lot of questions about the use of force and what not.

I don't see anyone asking why this kid was running around naked and most probably charged/attacked a police officer.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Gotcha.

"leapt out waving his arms " -- his hands were up.

Do we have video of this naked unarmed person being shot?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join