It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frigate Ecojet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
A private company in Moscow is attempting to take on Airbus and Boeing, with a middle of market, hybrid energy design aircraft. The aircraft is designed to carry between 276 and 358 passengers over a range of 3,000-4,000 nautical miles, in a three aisle configuration.

An elliptical design allows for a three aisle design, with less weight that a widebody that can carry the same number of passengers. The first round of aerodynamic and system testing has been completed in Germany, and Rosavia is looking for a suitable location for an assembly line. They say the aircraft will list at $120M, which is similar to the smaller A321neo, and they will break even at 115 aircraft.

(CNN)The design and manufacture of large commercial aircraft is one of the world's most challenging industries.

Two aviation giants dominate the field: U.S.-based Boeing and European consortium Airbus.

So can a Russian upstart succeed in its goal of redefining the market with a new aircraft concept whose unique characteristics place it in a category of its own?

The new manufacturer is Moscow-based private company is Rosavia.

Its concept is the inelegantly named Frigate Ecojet.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I like the design, it looks far more elegant than its concept name, as the article suggests.

Good luck to these entrepreneurs, I really do hope they can compete, as I think the world is owed some additional Aircraft manufacturers.

I don't think Airbus or Boeing have anything to worry about currently, but no doubt will follow production carefully.

edit on 9/2/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Three things about Russia and this initiative, while not trying to downplay the OP. Russia are certainly good at "artist's impressions".

1. Russia is very corrupt and that tends to stifle industry and commerce.
2. The costs of developing commercial aircraft are quite high.
3. The potential for investment in Russia by the West is somewhat constrained by sanctions and the complex political environment.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Oh I am sure they would attract investment from BRICS, the West turned their backs on them previously, I don't think they would need the West.

I agree about the corruption though, maybe they will need to build outside of Russia?

We may never see it beyond concept, but one to keep a tabs on.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Ah, the BRICS.

They don’t really work together on competing industries, and all more focussed on developing their own indigenous industries. Would they want to chuck their money into a Russian money pit? Besides, the BRICS don’t have much money to burn at the moment.

- Not sure about India’s commercial aircraft aspirations, but they have Hindustan Aeronautics and some poor experience in dealing with Russia of late.
- Brazil has Embraer.
- China has several aircraft concerns.
- South Africa ?

Not wishing to be negative, but I don’t see Russia being able to advance this type of project under the current domestic conditions.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Wow, is this project still around? I thought it was canned a decade ago. I've always liked it, but don't see it reaching fruition.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

They restarted it. They say they have investors, and they've completed some aerodynamic testing, so we'll see. I'm not hopeful, but it would be neat to see it fly.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'd always welcome anything that shakes up the status quo. As a photographer I don't want *everything* to be a Boeing or an Airbus. Already got my fingers crossed for the Comac 919 and MS21 lol

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

Yeah, I can't wait for the MRJ to arrive here, so I can get pictures of it flying around. I'd love to see some other manufacturers break into the big time.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Swiss are starting to take delivery of the CS300. So far at my favoured airport they fly in with the F100, E190 and A320, so I may get to see the new bird as well.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Interesting idea there with the elliptical shape.

if any. What would be the benefits of that shape?

Does it provide any extra lift? Or would it just drag the aircraft?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Increased interior space is one benefit. It is very similar to NASA's D8 (Double Bubble) concept.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

that d8 looks interesting.

so the wider body would provide some extra lift. I imagine that it would help with fuel economy as well

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

As Sam said, interior space. They're trying to put a lot of people into an aircraft and save weight. If you build a traditional widebody, there's nothing to draw customers because they can get the same thing already.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The shape gives it a hint of the Lockheed blended wing design that was released a couple of years or so ago. Wonder how much time they spend working on getting extra lift from that body shape to make it more efficient too.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Wouldn't be surprised if those investors are really "investors". I can think of at least one Russian aviation industry company that's widely regarded as a front.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

Heh. I've found more than one of those in the US.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I 've won the lottery I want to invest in Black Triangle aircraft...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Antabus 390 ? :-P

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Would you buy tickets for a flight on an airline flying these? I wouldn't, I don't even like flying on Airbus jets, way more comfortable flight( something about A320s causes my ears to feel like they're exploding) on a Boeing, most preferable is an old MD..
edit on 11-2-2016 by Caughtlurking because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join