It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Martian worm' in Curiosity image of Martian sand dune?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The possibility of Crinoid fossils found on Mars has been discussed here before...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner

↑ This - first thing I thought, from seeing a thread awhile back with several Mars (and Earth) pics of crinoid fossils.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It's a spring.
The rover is falling apart.
edit on 9-2-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Is it where the rover has 'pew pew pewwed' the sand with its lasor ?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: pot8er

Yeah. It's a line of laser beam holes.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Yeah. It's a line of laser beam holes.

That's unfair, you know, because Martians only have disintegrator rays. I saw it on Bugs Bunny, so you know it's true!

edit on 9/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Screw the "screw." Anybody else see that perfectly preserved bird's wing in the main part of the image? I'll bet NASA just put that image of a screw in there (the only thing they had handy laying around the shop) and hoped we would miss the bird wing that slipped through. It was too big to blur, you know. I think that wing is of the Martian condor species, winter plumage. (...Wonder where the rest of it is?)

edit on 9-2-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
its damage from a test of marvins Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I think you may have it. Looking at some of the holes left by Chemcam.

Discover News - Curiosity Plays in Sandy Martian Dunes: Photos (advance slider a few images):

These 10 pockmarks in the ridge of dune sand is evidence of Curiosity using its Chemcam instrument laser. Chemcam uses a focused beam to burn away to uppermost later of material (be it rock or, in this case, a ridge of sand), turning it into a flash of plasma. As the laser pulses, the flashes are measured and their spectroscopic signature recorded to understand what the material is made of. This image was taken by the mission's Mastcam in the run up to Curiosity's dune investigation on Sol 1177 (Nov. 28).

It's a straight row of 10 holes, in sand at that. Another example, Gizmodo - 8 Places Where the Curiosity Rover Left Drill Holes on Mars:

Ten laser-zap points from the ChemCam at John Klein on Sol 183. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/LANL/IRAP/CNES/LPGNantes/IAS/C

The ChemCam also performed a series of sampling zaps into the drill tailings on Sol 183. These zaps provided spectra which researchers interpreted to determine composition of the rock powder extracted from the drillhole.

Again, straight line of 10 holes.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I think you may have it. Looking at some of the holes left by Chemcam.

Certainly looks the part, well sorted, it also explains the uneven shadowing around the area in the B/W picture, and the slight, (apparent) differences in the gapping over the ridge of the dune

I guess there is also a report in NASA somewhere where and when the Laser is used.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Resembles the "tubes" Richard Hoagland and his lot always talk about.

<< 1   >>

join