It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

@ Bullying- it is a social issue that starts at youth and permeates into adulthood...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

When is it bullying and when is it pointing out someone is wrong?

When there's abuse. Mental, verbal, physical.

I've been called a bully too for making someone do something right. I think they know the difference.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I've been called a bully too for making someone do something right. I think they know the difference.

Right now as I've seen that abuse is telling someone no. I swear I have more difficulty interacting with my college kids than I do my 18 month old.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The level of bullying at my secondary school was shocking and the shear lack of support from staff is now something I look back on and think how did they get away with their approach. I actually came through it all quite lucky looking back. The low point for me was witnessing a lad getting held down and having deodorant sprayed into his eyes nearly blinding him.

The same type of people that do this BS then leave school and become corporate psychopaths in powerful positions within companies and they still bully all be it with a far more suttle approach but it is fairly obvious when you know what you are looking at.

I could be totally wrong but with what I would guess would be a small amount of bullies falling into the true psycopath category I can only think the other larger portion simply lack any emotional intelligence.

Personally I have never had any issue seeing other points of view and understanding other people emotions but this "skill" does seem to be lacking in society. Also low self esteem with poor parenting has to be a major contributor to the issue.

I do not think any type of class would help, what you do need is to make it socially unacceptable to bully in the first place. Sadly the people that are in the position to change things are more often than not bullies..

RA

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

There is a very simple response to bullying, but it took me a while to get over my fear of myself and enact it. You crush them. You put them on the floor, you put your boot on their neck, and you choke them half to death, while explaining that if they ever come near you again, you will kill them, as slowly and painfully as possible. You make it clear to not only the individual, but the whole social group in which the bullying occurs, that if it continues, the perpetrators will not be punished by authority, suspended from school, or taken out of classes, but ended, right then, and right there.
edit on 9-2-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

It seems from what I've observed that the things people now consider "bullying" are just criticisms or advice that isn't being sugar coated for the listener. Same as a lot of other posters have mentioned, we have an ultra-sensitive culture of milquetoast beta males and females who cry bully at the least bit of hardship or contrariness offered to them.
edit on 9-2-2016 by frostjon361 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

i this teaching the parents job. if i look back in my school days and pick out who the bullies are, i can see why after looking at their parents. if they aint getting love and positive attention at home and have negative experiences, im sure they think this is acceptable to do this to others

besides, any attention is good attention for some people.

Parents job to sort this, any parent saying otherwise then take a look at yourself and what you can or could of done better.

XL5

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was bullied from grade school to high school and sometimes in later life because I am a smaller guy and have always been the nerd. In grade school the main goto for the faculty was two wrongs don't make a right and to tell them when there is bullying. If I chose to yell out for a supervisor/teacher they would watch while I got bullied, then, if I chose to end it I got the "two wrongs" schtick. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have asked the offending faculty what would happen if I were the bully instead and or shouted names at the faculty instead.

I think allot of grade school teachers (not all...duh) have the mentality of its just kids being kids while shunting responsibility away from them selves. It is only a problem for the faculty when the victim hits back because he/she is not "conforming". Can't have the little guy rising to the challenge can we, it may lead to people who question authority.

I completely agree with TrueBrit, crushing a bully in front of others will show them you are not a target and at the very least, will offer Cathartic release. Another surefire way the shake things up when the bully is punching AND a teacher is watching (with popcorn no less) is to fake your own death! The authorities will be called, the medic's will find bruising and little to no punishment will be doled out for playing the victim all too well. Don't go to class for 2 days and let the bully guilt spread. That said nothing screams accomplice to manslaughter than a dead body and a faculty who was suppose to be watching.

To stop bullying, they need to separate the victims and bullies completely with offset classes/different schools for the bullies or they need to punish the bullies with anything and every thing possible. Bullies do not care or think about consequences, so classes about it will not help.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

No rescuing children from situations that build character and teach them to overcome adversity needs to be a mindset that changes

Within reason of course. No one should be beaten on a daily basis.

I should probably thank the people that were bullies to me. And forced me out of my comfort zone to grow , learn how to deal with situations and push me to be better.

If it wasn't for situations like that to drive me I wouldn't have been as determined to rise above and prove them wrong and meet challenges head on.

Now I do things to prove to myself it can be done.

But the foundation was laid by those who tried to bring me down , to be more

I owe those experienced everything in shaping my character and my course in life

We shouldn't save children from the opportunity for growth

edit on 2/9/2016 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Being a bully is often socially advantageous, it will always exist, it's a form of social ranking. It's rationalized very often and is everywhere's that it's hard to see. The difference is in severity. from real mutual teasing to harassment and assault.
When the bully attacks, tell them to knock it off. If at that point they do not quit take the offensive especially if they are touching you in any way.
If they say there were only joking and try to weasel themselves out like a good bully start bullying them. Tell them to own up to it call them names etc. As this isn't your socially maladjusted bully. This is your very well socially adjusted bully who is just bullying for social rank. Likely their social skills are better than yours and you'll look like fool.

For bullies there is the social outcast and the social star.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

No rescuing children from situations that build character and teach them to overcome adversity needs to be a mindset that changes

Within reason of course. No one should be beaten on a daily basis.

I should probably thank the people that were bullies to me. And forced me out of my comfort zone to grow , learn how to deal with situations and push me to be better.

If it wasn't for situations like that to drive me I wouldn't have been as determined to rise above and prove them wrong and meet challenges head on.

Now I do things to prove to myself it can be done.

But the foundation was laid by those who tried to bring me down , to be more

I owe those experienced everything in shaping my character and my course in life

We shouldn't save children from the opportunity for growth

I've seen both worlds.

I know which one I choose.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm not sure how that response applies to my post

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Bullying is a huge problem now days, because the kids are the children of the Helicopter parent generation.

All the Millennials having kids were not given free range as kids, like generations before. So, the perfect little snowflake crowd has brought up kids needing safe spaces, no ability to stand up to bullies and easily hurt feelings.

Want kids to get over bullies? Force them to stand up to the bully. THIS includes the ancient art of fighting, and not just "conflict resolution".

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Bullying doesn't stop in school. The real world has it all over from work and supervisors to people on the street

Yes, true. When I worked and had a bully of a supervisor who I knew wronged people and treated them badly, if talking to them didn't change their ways I would go over their head to the boss. If that didn't work, I would go to the plant manager. I was a great worker and didn't complain for nothing. The bad guys were usually put in their place. LOL

Kids need to be taught how to live in a tough world not coddled and kept in bubble wrap

They need to learn to stick up for themselves and have pride in who they are and put people in their place when needed.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: jobless1

the best bullies don't get caught bullying. They hang out with other bullies.They get jobs at places that condone them being a bully and they rarely see anything repercussion for their actions! Like I said the worst bullies know how to muddy the water so when the victim tells about the bully they have plausible deniability of knowing they committed anything wrong. I had a couple of coworkers openly admit to being bullies.

This is interesting. These sort are the sort that don't fit stereotypes of bullies. Lots of these around these days. And many think they are very normal and not bullies but catchers in the rye.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Hay I have seen large folk try to stand up for themselves, to Napoleon bullies. Sadly Napoleon is often times not seen as a bully. LOL

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Off and on I've been working in a collegiate setting since 2008, in 2012, I was told by a student I was a bully.
I got hired on full time in 2013. When he graduated in 2014, he told me he appreciated the time I spent with him, the skills he learned, and has since come to appreciate how much I worked with him to gain knowledge and thrive in the area he was interested in learning.

In my opinion I was never a bully, but I did tell him (and show him) he didn't know as much as he thought he did. And I made him redo things that he did incorrectly/ and tell him to stop whining about doing a job right.

There have been some people who might be considered bullies or have strong personalities that some people don't like. To me, there is a difference between being a bully in that situation and being fair. I once had a boss who everyone hated. She was stern and bold yet fair so I couldn't fault her. If you did your job right, you didn't have any problems with her.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I'm not sure how that response applies to my post

I don't agree with you and I think your stuck in an old world.

While I don't support coddling - - because you aren't really raising a kid - - you hopefully are raising a successful, contributing, healthy, happy adult. I do support raising in the consciousness of using your smarts, rather then physical altercations (although, bullying can take any form).

Bullying does exist, mostly the fault of the parents. Parents like you, possibly. Passing on animalistic survival of the fittest.

I absolutely support defense, which many martial arts teach. And knowing how to be aggressive, as a last result.

Changing the world starts at home, with each person.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
To me, there is a difference between being a bully in that situation and being fair. I once had a boss who everyone hated. She was stern and bold yet fair so I couldn't fault her. If you did your job right, you didn't have any problems with her.

Oh, I've had a couple like that. If they're fair, I'm good.

When I was a boss I crossed trained everyone. Some didn't like that. They thought I was a bully for making them do jobs that weren't theirs, and that they didn't want to do. But in the end they appreciated it - - as it helped them get promoted.

Like little kids. Sometimes you have to do what's good for them, even though they resent it at first.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I don't think learning to handle adversity through experience is old school at all

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I don't think learning to handle adversity through experience is old school at all

How you described it is.

I went to school in the 50s, where "men were men, and boys were boys" - - - and girls were forced to be "girls".

There was none of the PC stuff like today.

edit on 9-2-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join