It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cam Newton bolts Super Bowl news conference ....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

Isn't he relatively new? How about giving him time to mature?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
you don't have to be a sports fanatic to see the lack of intellectual and emotional maturity in Cam's behavior.

Physically, he is a man amongst boys. But when that fails, the pony doesn't have any more tricks to fall back on.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Sure, I would have just hoped he would have learned how to deal with some disappointment by now. This isn't his first loss, certainly, even if it was a big one. There are simple responses you can make to typical after loss questions that can be made on auto pilot. You praise your team, and say how grateful you were to be in the game. And I think his coaches and handlers should have prepped him better for the post game interview, especially if they knew he might have an attitude going into it. And If they didn't think he could handle it, they should have held him back from it.
edit on 8-2-2016 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I'll take his emotional honesty over an old and canned speech any day.

That crap has been done to death.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

He was drafted in 2011, he's a three time pro-bowler, one time all-pro selection, and a league MVP. He's doing the same antics at 26 that he was doing at 18. How much time are we supposed to give him? He's not a rookie.

To put a point on it: I don't think many people would look at a 26 year old coworker who was throwing temper tantrums in front of everybody and think "ah he just needs time to mature."
edit on 8-2-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted

I'll take his emotional honesty over an old and canned speech any day.

That crap has been done to death.

the NFL markets itself as a family brand. Thus, the stars of the NFL have a duty (within their contracts, actually) to act in a manner that supports this family brand.

As a father of 2 boys, i see the value in having the stars of the league conform to the common societal norms of civility and character. Sure, you can find his honesty refreshing....but its not the behavior I foster in myself or my boys.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Meh. See my last post.

I don't like zombies.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

This makes me laugh. Rah, rah, teamwork, slap on the a**, spit.

Everyone must conform, and if you don't - COOLER!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Yea, I saw it. You favor adults acting like petulant children over people who don't have their head up their own ass.

Meh.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

If he can't honestly praise his team for their efforts or be grateful for the opportunity to play pro in the NFL, then frankly he doesn't deserve a contract.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes

If he can't honestly praise his team for their efforts or be grateful for the opportunity to play pro in the NFL, then frankly he doesn't deserve a contract.

You don't know much about the talented, do you.

The majority of talented people are either on the cusp of or are mentally ill in some way. Authors are a good example. Much has been written about them.

I don't want to derail the thread though.

He has personal issues. I'm not going to judge him for it as you all have. There is something personal going on there and it is none of my GD business.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

It's football. Teamwork is required. There is no ring without teamwork. Maybe not the slap on a** tho. But definitely teamwork. Why even watch then? If you want to watch individual sports, go watch pro golf, lol.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Not only that, Manning has a LOT more reason to back out of that kind of thing after his neck injury and the revelations of the nerve damage that makes it hard to feel his fingers. That kind of thing makes it hard to play like you used to because it reveals your mortality.

But he's still there going after the ball ... like an idiot ... but he's there doing it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: eeyipes

It's football. Teamwork is required. There is no ring without teamwork. Maybe not the slap on a** tho. But definitely teamwork. Why even watch then? If you want to watch individual sports, go watch pro golf, lol.

I watched "Downton Abbey". The only reason I saw the Cam interview is because it was on the local news.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

My God, get over it.

I hate The Sports Fanatic attitude.

He's right though.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

You don't know much about the talented, do you.

The majority of talented people are either on the cusp of or are mentally ill in some way. Authors are a good example. Much has been written about them.

I don't want to derail the thread though.

He has personal issues. I'm not going to judge him for it as you all have. There is something personal going on there and it is none of my GD business.

That's just getting silly now. Assuming that he is some sort mad genius of football. Everyone has personal issues. From the way you describe him perhaps he'll be ripping the heart out of the opposing QB's chest and eating it the next time he loses, but it will be OK because he's just an eccentric mad genius athlete.

OK, so that is silly too. But please, don't make crazy excuses for the guy

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Jim McMahon was a fanatic that played a game with a ruptured kidney.

Jim McMahon knelt down in the huddle, his kidney lacerated. The pain shooting through his body contorted his face into expressions of anguish. Yet the only thing out of his mouth was a string of profanities designed to fire up his Bears teammates. The year was 1984, the place Soldier Field. The final score would be Bears 17, Los Angeles Raiders 6. The bottom line: Another gutsy performance from the Bears` quarterback. ``I`ll never forget that,`` guard Mark Bortz said Friday after learning that McMahon had been traded to San Diego. ``He was out there and he was hurting real bad. He could barely stand up. But he was still trying to win a game for us. I mean, a lacerated kidney; come on. He was a great leader. ``Between Mike Ditka, the Bear defense and Jim McMahon, that`s what made the Bears what they are today. He did a lot of good things for this team and I don`t think we should ever forget it. People have forgotten what Jim McMahon meant to this team. It`s a shame.``

Chicago Tribune
Now that's a football fanatic.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

There's nothing crazy about it. These people are all big, pampered babies. Hollywood stars are the same way. Petulance is the norm.

They move in a special circle. That creates very unique personalities. These kind of people are difficult, spoiled brats.

It's the hallmark of the talented.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Then maybe it's time to do away with million dollar contracts and let the game be played by people that actually love it, and not the money. Because the diehard fans that watch truly love the game and they deserve better. These guys would have nothing without the fans.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

No one has to conform.

I see it more like this: if i am acting like a whiny baby in public i am degrading myself. Its the same as Black Friday...all those people acting like idiots fighting over retail crap...its self degrading.

I prefer to teach my sons to behave like dignified men. Not self degrading little children.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join