It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cam Newton bolts Super Bowl news conference ....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
here is the news report link to Story...

www.usatoday.com...

Cam Newton bolts Super Bowl news conference after terse exchanges

Martin Rogers, USA TODAY Sports

sure there was disappointment in his motives for reacting un-Adult like...

but here's the real reason for Cam getting away from the spotlight...

the question was bound to come up about that last fumble he made -- deep in his own territory --- with only minutes to go....

there he found himself in the midst of a free-for-all of huge and energized football linesmen all chasing after a football being scooted all over the turf---right at Cam Newton's feet...

but all the high flying quarterback could do was to look-at-the-ball....
he was paralyzed like a deer-in-the-headlights
...one could see him thinking in that 4 seconds of compressed time...I am not going to scramble for that ball & get hurt in trying

its my view...Cam is embarrassed and is probably correct in surmising that He Has lost ALL credibility and respect from most team members for his showing that the jumping into the frey to recover-the-ball was not So Important to Him as it was to the rest of the team....

Or At Least that is the scenario that must be explained & cleared up...instead of Cam just avoiding the issue and clearing up the Air about his indifference, aloofness, superiority in NOT 'giving-it-his-all' as the rest of the Panthers we doing

Am I the only lone voice in this.....or will the sports analysts break-the-ice on this sensitive incident ??

(I will not be actively responding in this thread...I made my speech & made clear where I stand...) on Cam Newton not going after that fumble, late in the game

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
he's a great player...and i love watching him play....

with that out of the way, the reality is, his ego is huge. The press conference would have been serving crow, which his ego just cannot digest.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I was looking at some sports site that had the play in question on a video loop, with Cam backing away from that fumble.

He wasn't pulling off the Superman act last night during the game, so he was looking out for #1 and making sure that he didn't get injured near the end of a Superbowl loss.

He did pull off the petulant child act at the postgame interview though.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If Peyton Manning's 39 year old scrawny self can at least attempt to get the ball back when he's stripped, I can't come up with any reason why Cam Newton can't be bothered to try.

And no, the media in the Charlotte area hasn't said a word about it so far. It's all "they lost but what a great season!" type crap. Though the announcers during the game did go on about it for a bit.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
he's a great player...and i love watching him play....

with that out of the way, the reality is, his ego is huge. The press conference would have been serving crow, which his ego just cannot digest.

I read a joke this morning, that Cam bolted from the interview when some reporter just out of range of the microphone asked him if he had a Superman T-shirt on under the hoodie.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

It was remarked by a pundit/broadcaster/talking head that Newton's muscle memory kicked in; in practice Newton is taught to stay out of the frey and avoid possible injury. Whatever the excuse, it's baloney.

Von Miller is a really good dude. He and Ware played "meet ya at the quarterback". Miller is gonna get PAID!

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

I feel like Manning has been through a few more practices than Newton has at this point in their respective careers. I wonder how long it takes for a professional quarterback to learn the difference between the practice mentality of "don't get hurt" and the big game mentality of "hey we need points so I should try to get the damn ball back."

What a strange excuse to give.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Cam Icharus....flew too close to the sun and his wings melted.

Hopefully he remembers that he's just a mere mortal.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
He was doomed by his hideous pants.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I remember seeing him play at university of Florida( Tebows back up) , before he went to the Jr college (because his grades sucked and was going to be kicked out for that and the stolen computer issue)....he had alittle bit of drama and trouble that followed him then, ....even when he went to Auburn some drama followed him there too (with the whole investigation into Auburn paying his family money for him to play for them).... He's a great player, but he's immature , and seems to have a little bit of a shady past track record....I get it, he was a kid then.....kids do dumb stuff.....So let's hope this was a hard life lesson ! That he will grow up from and start to realize you can't win them all ,manc he's not invincible . ...... If he can keep his maturity in check, he will be a great role model .

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
As a Carolina fan I will say that I am glad to have Cam at the helm of this team even if he does have a huge ego and lack of maturity sometimes. Watching the play in question I initially was relieved at the proximity Cam was to the ball. I thought to my self "Oh we got this back YAY!!" which then quickly turned to "Oh no wait...wha..what just happened. Why did he not dive on it?!?!" The first thing that came to mind was he doesn't want to get hurt.

Am I mad at Cam no, am I disappointed we lost yes. I'm sure Cam will catch enough flak and bad press about this that he will learn from it and never make that mistake again. Who am I to get upset and throw shade because another human being was in a position to possibly get seriously injured or win a game and chose self preservation. He was thinking long term and so do I, this is a relatively young team and will only get better in the next few years and I'm glad we have the kid as he is a phenomenal athlete.

All that being said professional sports are a mockery to the intelligence of the masses designed to suck your money out of your pocket. Here eat these chips and drink this beer in this car in order to keep up with the jones's. Don't get me started on the exorbitantly overpaid meatheads playing a game I used to play in the backyard for fun and not because someone paid me millions to do so. However because the masses as a whole are not that bright nor enlightened it is nice to have some common ground for small talk when necessary so there is always next year GO PANTHERS!!
edit on 8-2-2016 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The real reason he bolted was because in the room next to him he could hear a Bronco player bragging and criticizing the Panthers. Just saw a video I'll post it if i can find it

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

Am I mad at Cam no, am I disappointed we lost yes. I'm sure Cam will catch enough flak and bad press about this that he will learn from it and never make that mistake again. Who am I to get upset and throw shade because another human being was in a position to possibly get seriously injured or win a game and chose self preservation. He was thinking long term and so do I, this is a relatively young team and will only get better in the next few years and I'm glad we have the kid as he is a phenomenal athlete.

That human being happens to get paid MILLIONS of dollars to do that. Toss a couple mil my way and I'd be in the middle of the scrum with no pads on. And long term? Assuming he ever gets back to a super bowl. If that was his once chance he sure blew it. And he has been so cocky leading up to this whole thing you knew when they lost he wasn't gonna say a word. Kind of funny I didn't see much dancing I guess the defense took his advice.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

you citing this: ?

from Yahoo.com sports news
Denver Broncos players slam Cam Newton following Super Bowl win: 'He didn't want it'

“That’s the way he is,” Danny Trevathan added....

Specifically, they were referring to a key fumble down the stretch in the fourth quarter that helped seal the game for Denver. Von Miller forced Newton’s second fumble of the game, and as the free ball bounced around the field, Newton had the opportunity to dive on it but appeared to hold himself back instead of diving into a pile of players.
Here’s the play:

Broncos’ Trevathan: “That’s the way he is. Playing for himself.”
Talib: “He didn’t want it.”

t.co...

[more

I did not click the video link

perhaps Cam instantly thought 'I cannot risk getting hurt and out-of-the-game" and that's why he held himself back...
I sure would not like to think he is selfish and self-worshipping...but is a team kinda guy

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

No matter what the reason was, he acted like a spoiled little brat. It's a game, albeit a big one, and it really was disappointing that someone who is supposedly trying to be a role model acted like that. He should have sat up there like a man and finished his press conference instead of sulking off like a little boy. Goodness my five year old stands his ground better than that. He could have proven all of his hype right by simply behaving like a grown man. Everyone's got to lose sometime.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I do take issue with the fact he just looked at the bouncing ball, and just stepped back. Cam's a big QB and isn't exactly fragile, so I don't understand why he wouldn't go for it. It's the Superbowl and your down 6 with over 4 minutes to play and he backs away from the fumble??? You're still in the game at that point, a touchdown would win it for Carolina. This is the league MVP? How many QB's from around the league when put into that situation would have dove for that ball? Denver's defense beat Cam up. Fun Fact: No. 1 ranked defenses from the regular season are now 10-2 all-time in the Super Bowl since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I absolutely forgive him and understand what he did.

His loss was a huge disappointment and one can't always successfully fight being overcome by emotion, whatever it may be.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Have you ever watched college or even high school football players interviewed with the local news? These future wannabe pros learn early how to be gracious winners and good losers in front of a camera. If Cam hasn't learned yet how to take his hits off the field with a smile, then I doubt he ever will. He let his team down and his fans down with his behavior.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

My God, get over it.

I hate The Sports Fanatic attitude.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

I actually care extremely little about any sports at all. I only watched this game because our team was in it. I do appreciate good sportsmanship and character, though -- qualities which are just as important for a QB to have as the skills needed to toss a ball.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join