It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daily Mail as a source

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
It's killing me.....

Can we ban using 'The Daily Mail' as a source because it's making us all look like idiots?

There are other sources which are banned on here yet we are still allowed to post stuff from here as if it's gospel?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263
Hmm. It's still a national newspaper, so it counts as MSM. ATS has not got around to selectively banning such sources yet.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

With the DM aggressive stance against immigration and refugees they will continue to be a popular "source" for many ATS'ers.

I dislike the DM too but it ain't going anywhere.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Can't you just post it then disprove it from another source thereby illustrating the fictional nature of certain DM stories?

I suspect some stories are covered first in the DM so they'll be automatically rejected later. But then I think all mainstream media is a load of spook drivel. Making up the news is a basic job in the intelligence world.
edit on 8 2 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
The DM is a comic, a joke of a newspaper

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

With the DM aggressive stance against immigration and refugees they will continue to be a popular "source" for many ATS'ers.

I dislike the DM too but it ain't going anywhere.

Yeah, must forbid any MSM that is against the economic migrants. Even though a lot of people agree and need their side heard too. Just as much as all those that would love it if just propaganda for immigration would be published.

The DM is a terrible newspaper but not for their opinion. More for bad reporting and illiterate staff.
Also, just like the German 'Bild-Zeitung', not all reports are always false.

What I do is read, then counter check if I can find another source. If there is none, then I have enough braincells to dismiss the article.

Whilst we are here, I'd also like to rant about those that never take any alternative sources seriously. As soon as it isn't one of the 'big, known and officially accepted' sources, it's always wrong. When in fact those are the sources we will hear things from that would otherwise never make it to our attention.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Hmm. It's still a national newspaper, so it counts as MSM. ATS has not got around to selectively banning such sources yet.

Well said..

Most of the MSM spouts bs anyway.. sometimes you need to sort through the chaff to find the wheat..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
They've always been a profoundly nasty little arse rag of a paper. I'd still rather see it used as a source than the frigging express. What's next, take a break and hello?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
It's killing me.....

Can we ban using 'The Daily Mail' as a source because it's making us all look like idiots?

There are other sources which are banned on here yet we are still allowed to post stuff from here as if it's gospel?

With all the issues we're facing in this world, this -- using a 120-year-old paper as a source -- is "killing" you? Really??? Wow. Okay.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I'm against immigration AND terrible news sources.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

It's killing me.....

With all the issues we're facing in this world, this -- using a 120-year-old paper as a source -- is "killing" you? Really??? Wow. Okay.

"Wow", sorry for the use of semantics. Move on then.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

It's killing me.....

It is interesting that you choose to bring this up today, did you see this article from the independant by any chance?

Indepandant article.

British people think their media is the most biased and right-wing in Europe - and they're probably right
Just two individuals - Rupert Murdoch and Lord Rothermere - controlled a staggering 52.2 per cent of online and print national news publications in the UK in 2013

I was going to make a thread about it but then realiseds I would have to deal with all of the replies and decided against it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

While we're at it, let's just ban all sources that don't fit in with your point of view. Maybe you should start a survey to see how many ATS members approve of your ban list.

I don't like the Daily Mail either but at least they are reporting issues that are on a lot of peoples minds. Like it or not, you can't expect the whole planet to be as optimistic as you are.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123
The DM is a comic, a joke of a newspaper

Actually I find its sports reporting better than its competitors, over and above that, it's as biased to its readership as any other publication - if you think any other is totally unbiased then I would suggest you just share the bias of the one you select.

The one that really makes me laugh is the Independent which screams its prejudice very loudly yet proclaims itself as somehow superior.

Just like anything you read/hear anywhere, MSM, blogs, ATS, down the pub, there may be a germ of truth with an editorial spun by the teller to make it prove (sell?) their point - it's human nature and to be honest some posters on ATS are much more extreme in how they push their opinion as fact.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

But then I think all mainstream media is a load of spook drivel. Making up the news is a basic job in the intelligence world.

Outstanding, nothing to add except…

The "News" is short for New Story (whats the newest info, whats the scoop, the before everyone else knows it scandal or dirt) meaning the newest tall tale presented to the most people, most of the time.

The News is at once a disclaimer (its only a story after all) and at the same time believed by many to be the truth.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Wouldn't posting anything from DM be like double posting a topic anyways here. Since the like pulling some of their stories from this site.

I don't really have any trouble people using DM as a source. But like any good investigation there should be more then one. DM is sometimes nice for U.S. reports cause they're just a little less likely to drop an article from their site then say CNN, FOX or any of the other major papers in the U.S.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Nice to see you on the boards.

No, it's because I'm tired of people not questioning sources. To be fair, I shouldn't have even logged on, I'm back to that same negative frustrating mood that coming here gets me in.

It's like a really rubbish drug.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's not so much the posting of articles I have a problem with. It's that lately you already know who it is posting the topic just from looking at the sensationalist title and the discussion is invariably replete with the unquestioning vapidity of people believing it to be absolute fact. No attempts to disseminate or interpret the information. No fact checking or verifying quoted sources. Not even looking at the historial context and bias of the outlet providing the information, just the desperate validation of preconceived notions of the world.

Deny ignorance should be changed to Just Believe.

It happens with the leftist papers too, although to a much lesser degree lately. I'm sure when the political tide turns it'll go the other way.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The daily mail, is low, but I've seen the express being used too. That really is shaping the barrel, the vitriol of some of the posts is also taking on the appearance of the daily mail comments section. Sometimes I forget where I am. I just imagine a lot of guys frothing at the mouth shaking their fists at the computer screen, veins pulsing in their necks

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
The daily mail, is low, but I've seen the express being used too. That really is shaping the barrel, the vitriol of some of the posts is also taking on the appearance of the daily mail comments section. Sometimes I forget where I am. I just imagine a lot of guys frothing at the mouth shaking their fists at the computer screen, veins pulsing in their necks

Oh, I don't know, there are many on here from the UK that fairly much fit the pattern for Guardian readers whether or not they are actually readers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join