It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what classes do you take?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I noticed that there were 15,000 TV channels, 5,000 production companies, 1 million internet outlets; All those channels need producers/directors/writers/crew etc. Digital entertainment is exploding world wide and needs a constant flow of content. In fact posting on ATS, you are providing content for a profitable enterprise. You can monetize this ability if you know how.

The 6 wk class I took in digital media production and screenwriting has placed me in the position where I can pick and chose the companies I work for, or get an LLC and create my own production company, providing content for others and all you need to be in business is a decent laptop and a www. connection.....and knowledge.

There are so many well paying opportunities out there for skilled, talented and trained individuals, it's astonishing. Think of all the advertisements you are bombarded with thru all media sources; someone has to write and produce all that BS...that's just a small part of what's available.

My efforts lead me to join the labor force thru the Union conduit.

SAG/AFTRA and IATSE

edit on 8-2-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Do not need a degree for Air Traffic Control. They are hiring right now. Good money and the job really isn't that hard. It's not really a job, I enjoy going every day.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: DAVID64

The problem is actually getting into a program. If you are white, don't have a 4.0, or aren't from another country then you need not apply.

There are plenty of scholarships, grants, apprenticeships and free programs available for anyone that wants to make the effort to apply.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Baldryck

What are the age requirements? Are you in the U.S.?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I 2nd this statement!!!!

PS, I commandeered your BS flag

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
I take four classes, Introduction to Philosophy (Classics), International Politics and American Government and Politics as well as USA From 1865 to Present. Rather interesting classes especially Philosophy and 1865 to Present though I wish Philosophy had more discussion on philosophical questions rather than the text (Gorgias by Plato). Undecided major, looking frantically for a path through this life.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Having a degree has never been a guarantee for getting a job in your field of study. My first degree came in the late 1960s. My age, at graduation, made me perfect to be drafted and no company would hire me. Luckily, I had no loans to repay. I made the difficult decision to join the military while Vietnam was going strong. If you would have asked me at any point during that time if I had made the correct decision I would have said no. After my active duty period, I returned to school. Again at graduation there were no jobs.

My first job after my second degree was sweeping floors at a General Motors factory. It paid great money but my ego was hurting. The GI Bill had taken care of my tuition so I had no debt except my wife's school loans.

To make a long story short, I was never employed in either field of my studies. Ironically, I worked in the field in which I was trained while in the army. No one is owed a job just because of a degree without a needed skillset.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

That course of study will greatly enhance your communication skills. And being able to articulate ideas, opens up any path you decide to take.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I've recently started a long path towards a computer science degree. Along the way I'll try to learn as much as I can about programming on my own, which may be more relevant to actually getting a job, but I figure a degree couldn't hurt.

I know a lot of related jobs have been and are being outsourced to other countries and H1B's, so it might not be easy. However, if I can eventually get a master's degree and have some interesting side projects to show off and I'm not too greedy I should be able to find a job somewhere. Or so I hope, lol.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I am a few years out of college with a BS. My friends who have gotten a job in their degree have been teachers, nurses, and finance degrees.
seen quite a few get a degree and then go to the state police academy as well.
I know a few including myself who were in a trade before and during college and are now still in that trade.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Communication skills? Could you expand on what you mean? It's not at all easy to figure what major I want to go for. Figure out what I want to do with life. That is true about articulating my ideas. Relatively interesting classes.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
Communication skills? Could you expand on what you mean? It's not at all easy to figure what major I want to go for. Figure out what I want to do with life. That is true about articulating my ideas. Relatively interesting classes.

University is much to early to even consider "what you want to do in Life"...Learn, experiment, experience, get involved...

Communication...expression so others can understand.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well. Im supposed, or am expected to decide on my major by second year (after this semester). Is that not deciding what I want to do with my life?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Your jobs went to China after NAFTA. There are some really good ones left if you are lucky enough to find them. You kind of need to know some people as well, it helps. I got lucky. If I didn't know someone who knows someone, I would be screwed. If I did it all over again definitely some type of medical and not some tech nonsense, they make dirt like nurses. You have to be some type of doctor.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The best recession proof career is the funeral business. All people die. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a degree/certificate in mortuary science.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

edit on 2jY by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Not a bad idea. A friend and I actually joked about opening a funeral home.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Well. Im supposed, or am expected to decide on my major by second year (after this semester). Is that not deciding what I want to do with my life?

Not really...I didn't get serious about my career choice until Grad school. I was lucky and got to use my degree until I learned that working for someone else is foolish. The entrepreneurial spirit is a beautiful thing.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That's very true. It is a beautiful spirit, but how realistic is it? Some will be able to find success of course, but the majority? Well seeing how my major is what my career will be presumably based on I should have it nailed by next Summer/Autumn. If not then explain as I have never been to college before nor have I discussed this with anyone that has so anything you have to say about life and careers is greatly appreciated.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

a reply to: UnBreakable

Not a bad idea. A friend and I actually joked about opening a funeral home.

You can make some serious $. Between funeral services plus some also sell caskets/urns and monuments/headstones, it's a sure money maker with job security.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join