It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible Still Relevant in the 21st Century? What If Anything Needs to be Changed?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

edit on 2/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: so much nope. not feeding the troll. nope.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

wow, you really have a pretentious attitude towards anything that doesnt cross with your beliefs, we call them extremists in Sweden, i think you call them hillbillys or rednecks in the US..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by kumiho removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

You're right, I guess the real question is : why are you so emotionally invested and attached to the bible ?

Because it's beautiful and wise and thrilling and magical

And it has been the bestseller for 2000 years

More like why the phobia of bible
edit on 8-2-2016 by Gabriel69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Gabriel69

Oh dear... name calling?

How very Christian... lol

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Ah the devil in me

Seriously but

Lol lets write a new book .. can you all imagine?

Where would we start eh?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gabriel69
a reply to: gosseyn

You're right, I guess the real question is : why are you so emotionally invested and attached to the bible ?

Because it's beautiful and wise and thrilling and magical

And it has been the bestseller for 2000 years

More like why the phobia of bible

Uhm, you do know the first bok press came 1454 called the gutenberg bible, and it wasn't until the KJV was finished due to conflict of interest with Vatican and then we have a sale pitch starting in the 19th century.. So 200 years not 2000

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
We can enforce human values due to the doctrines taught as kids, and place it in a scientific environment with an MRA scan, I'm not for the gullible paradigm switch.. Enforce it, use laws and regulations, you do know old school is knocking on the door, and it's not a pleasant one.. Jesus is better, Kali is nasty
edit on 8-2-2016 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: kumiho

Uhm, you do know the first bok press came 1454 called the gutenberg bible, and it wasn't until the KJV was finished due to conflict of interest with Vatican and then we have a sale pitch starting in the 19th century.. So 200 years not 2000

Ah you mean the one thing you don't steal from the hotel room ?

edit on 8-2-2016 by Gabriel69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gabriel69

Yes that one

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: kumiho

lol you
Just don't get yourself banned
I love how lovely and gentle you are in your poems
And you're so deviant outside of them
thank you .. You were unexpected surprise I have to say

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Like I said, there are only two relevant messages that I see in that book, and the rest is fluff. Take those two messages and put them in an updated book with more relevant messages and you have a MUCH better philosophy book than the bible ever could be.

Then after human knowledge expands ever further, we can keep doing this. Discard the unnecessary and keep the good stuff.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You miss the main message
Justice is Gods

Comes a time when He will bring His justice down on humanity

If you think OT genocides were bad, Gods justice will be fearsome and all encompassing

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Nah, I didn't miss it. I just don't believe in mythology and superstition. If god is real, he is more than welcome to prove himself to me, and I'm sure he knows exactly how to go about doing that too since he supposedly knows everything.
edit on 9-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You wrote QUOTE "You miss the main message : Justice is Gods - Comes a time when He will bring His justice down on humanity..."UNQUOTE

Is that what you think the main message of the 'bible' is?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Like I said, there are only two relevant messages that I see in that book, and the rest is fluff. Take those two messages and put them in an updated book with more relevant messages and you have a MUCH better philosophy book than the bible ever could be.

Then after human knowledge expands ever further, we can keep doing this. Discard the unnecessary and keep the good stuff.

And who gets to decide what is the good stuff?

Would you become a christian if they changed the bible to the way you want?

Do you actually think 2 billion people would just go along with the changes?

Hey, you could start a new religion with the new Krazyshot Bible!

Could call yourselves Krazians!

Besides, even if you got burned every bible tomorrow, God's word would not change.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

I don't need a religion. Moralistic philosophy isn't about belief and followers. It's about accepting the best ideas to live one's life. Why do you keep acting like writing such a book needs to be some sort of honor? It's just a book. Something that contains ideas. Heck, we don't even NEED a book anymore. We have the internet. We can make a blog, a website, or even an internet forum. Those are all much better ways of disseminating information than a book. It's the 21st century, we have MUCH better ways of doing things than we did 2000 years ago; our morals and guidelines should reflect that.

Here's the thing. If god exists and he's all that you say he is, he should be fine with me not believing in him. He'll know that I'll have to come around eventually. Until then the message is what's important right? It's not like I don't agree that there are some good parts to your book, it's just that there is also a lot of fluff. Especially when we are talking about a book that is supposed to be a guide to how you live your life. Why should I care about the genealogy of ancient hebrews? Why care about ancient hebrew laws that aren't applicable to modern society? Just cut the crap and keep the good stuff.
edit on 10-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You wrote QUOTE "Why should I care about the genealogy of ancient Hebrews? Why care about ancient Hebrew laws that aren't applicable to modern society? Just cut the crap and keep the good stuff..."

That of course would beg the question of what is 'crap' and what is 'the good stuff' - personally I could go for a deep editing job for both testaments (do believers really think that a universal Deity cares about the length of Temple Curtains, and other such priestly mumbo-jumbo or e.g. that the cure for leprosy should involve placing one's blood on the wings of a bird and the big toe of a high priest in order to become cured? Do we really need to be reading this stuff?

posted on Feb, 12 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sigismundus
Is the Bible Out-dated or is it Still Relevant in the 21st Century? What Needs to be added or taken away from it?...

Move it to the fiction section of the bookstore?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join