It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible Still Relevant in the 21st Century? What If Anything Needs to be Changed?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Let's think about this logically for a moment.

If the God in the bible and Jesus are real, why would they stop talking to us centuries ago. Why no new information and doctrine? That makes no sense.

I believe in God and that there have been divinely inspired texts, songs, movies poems, art even in this decade.

So yes, the bible is irrelevant. Especially those editions written in the middle ages. A language that we don't even really understand today.
edit on 8-2-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Interestingly enough there is a verse that says I will surely hide I will hide my face.
Using the word hide 2x.
Meaning that in the five books of Moses it for told that there will be a time in the future that God will even hide the fact that he is hidden.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't really feel like that aligns with Jesus' message in the bible though.

No, of course it doesn't! It applies only insofar as I observe it to be happening on the world stage now: modern warfare and human behavior shows much more of that than it does the Golden Rule (as with vengeance, retaliation).....

I am pro-Golden Rule.
The fact remains that there is a converse to it, just like you said....

"You reap what you sow", ya know.

edit on 2/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Interestingly enough there is a verse that says I will surely hide I will hide my face.
Using the word hide 2x.
Meaning that in the five books of Moses it for told that there will be a time in the future that God will even hide the fact that he is hidden.

Ha.. but what does that even mean and why would God hide from us?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I guess, but I don't believe in karma and I don't like eye for an eye. I like the golden rule because it only dictates MY behavior. I don't feel like the Golden Rule accounts for revenge and I don't like that converse. That converse led to our overcrowded prisons and not actually treating those people with respect, thus trying to correct their behavior instead of just solely punish it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

That's a very good question.
It says because you acted with " keri" to me, which connotes being cold, sexual crimes, and most importantly believing everything happens by chance and coincidence.
It goes on to say if you will behave this way with me then I will behave this way with you.
And it goes on further to say that if you persist in believing that everything is a coincidence then I will deal with you with very harsh coincidences

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I guess, but I don't believe in karma and I don't like eye for an eye. I like the golden rule because it only dictates MY behavior.

I like the Golden Rule, too.

I don't believe in 'an eye for an eye', either - but I do believe in Karma. Nevertheless, the mess in the ME indicates that a vast swath of human beings feel that terrorist attacks vindicate their own attacks. I think that is wrong.

I don't think it's any human's business to 'deliver' retribution to anyone else. Karma has to do with the ethereal realm.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

But when you say this:
"Act like an asshole, get treated like an asshole."

It translates to "eye for an eye" and not so much the golden rule. Someone could be beating on me all day long, but that isn't going to change my personal preferences any to me WANTING to be beat on thus it being ok to beat on someone else. I may want revenge in the moment, but that's technically a violation of the Golden Rule. Again, Jesus would say to just turn the other cheek. Though I'm not quite sure how one turns the other cheek when they are getting jumped...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

All I'm saying is that some people think that way.
I certainly don't -
but - some people do.
I think the Golden Rule always has priority.

If someone complains about how they are being treated......and then thinks it's okay to treat the other that way, too. .... that's how we get terrorists. Like the OT God - vengeance is mine, he says. Smite them all, he says.

My point is that the parts of the Bible (or Koran, or Torah) that promote that (and use "God" as an example of doing it), need to be updated and tossed out.
They are no longer relevant.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: kumiho

Excuse me for interrupting.

The only "universal" ideal is The Golden Rule.

But, beyond that (and the reason for my interruption) I have to say your posts in this thread do not add up to a coherent statement.

You do know we are primates ( animals ) and not magical beings? You do know the guilt trip is called an indoctrinated repetetive pattern you learn from the age of 5-12.. you do the same mistake as everyone when they said;" How could this have happened " Human nature is about you only you and no one else but you..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: kumiho

You do know we are primates ( animals ) and not magical beings?

Yes.

You do know the guilt trip is called an indoctrinated repetetive pattern you learn from the age of 5-12..

Yes.

you do the same mistake as everyone when they said;" How could this have happened "

No.

Human nature is about you only you and no one else but you..
and.....no.
I made the study and analysis of human behavior and human nature my career - I stay up to date, and have a track record of such, including documented outcomes. But I'm sure you are fully prepared to dismiss me regardless of any credentials or experience I might delineate, so I shall not bother.
Like I said, and will not say again - your posts do not add up to a coherent premise.
That is all.

If you are interested in 'what I know', what I think I know, what I admit I 'don't know', and how I think, feel free to peruse my history on ATS, my threads, and my posts.
Until you have done that, and addressed your findings, I have nothing more to say to you. And even then, I might not have anything more to say to you (hint: so far, not looking likely that I will).

I do have documentation proving my career and experience and outcomes. I will not be explaining myself or justifying myself to you.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

You wrote QUOTE "...you are quite incorrect. In the Pentateuch in the chapter of Jethro Moses set up a system of courts where lower courts reports to higher courts which report to a Supreme Court. the judges would be chosen by local communities by the candidates scholarly level. The Torah also specifies a Senate of 72 elders which were in charge of laws and calendrical calculations. It also acted as a system of checks and balances where the King had to consult with the synod." UNQUOTE

So...when did the Israelites vote for their tribal leaders and how exactly, if they were a model for the US?

Who if anyone had the vote in those days? Were all adult males considered equal?

Where in the US to-day do we offer animal & vegetable sacrifices in Washington to appease a bloodthirsty clan-god?

Where are our American Urim ve Thummim and our Breasatplates and our Arks of the Covenant and our American High Priests, and where is our American Qadosh Qadoshim? Where in America are all of our males forced to appear before a specific god ('in the place where he causes his name to dwell') three times a year? How were the ancient tribal Israelitish clan-amphictyonies democratic in any sense of the word?

A Democracy is a type of political system in which all members have the equal share to power and can be traced back from the present day all the way back to classical Athens in Greece in the 7th century B.C.E. In a modern representative Democracy, this theoretical equality is embodied in the right of citizens to vote.

None of this existed in the Biblical period in Palestine nor is it reflected at all in any text of the Bible.

It is to the Greeks (and later the Romans) that we owe the elements of our present Western Civilisation. Athens is also the home of the original trial by jury practice and it is to the Greeks (and Romans) that we Westerners owe the rudiments of Mathematics, Geometry, History-writing, Philosophy, Music, Theatrical Arts (Tragedies and Comedies), Sculpture & Painting, Poetry, Architecture (take a look at present day Washington DC) Physics and the Empirical Method - to name but a few of the concepts that the West has adapted to their own ends. And it was the re-discovery of the genius of Greco-Roman civilization that spurred on the Renaissance in Europe which led an intellectual expansion which led to the Industrial & Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment - which process has continued down to the present day.

We in the West to-day are a long way from tribal musters and theocratic clan-chiefdoms !

edit on 8-2-2016 by Sigismundus because: stuttering computtttteeeer keyboard

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

What do you think goes on in Bohemian Grove?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

And you think a Golden rule is a coherent statement?

Its an ideal, meaning its a fantasy..

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

There is a few samples of humans, that has lived their life in nature, in Russia and in Asia, how about you learn frrom them instead of a book of ideals

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

You wrote QUOTE "The Greek and Roman alphabet sorry been ripped off of the Hebrew Phoenician alphabet..." UNQUOTE

I think you're confusing the settled Phoenecian Canaanite cultures with the later Amorite Hebrew semi nomad invaders. The 22 letter Phoenecian aleph-bet was derived from the Egyptian Hieroglyphic and is the basis for later alphabets, including the Greek alphabet (we can discern similarities in Linear A and Linear B characters)

Wikipedia might be instructive here -

"The Phoenician alphabet, called by convention the Proto-Canaanite alphabet for inscriptions older than around 1050 BC, is the oldest verified alphabet. The Phoenician alphabet contains 22 letters, all of which are consonants, and is described as an abjad,[3] with matres lectionis being used for some vowels in certain late varieties. It was used for the writing of Phoenician, a Northern Semitic language, used by the civilization of Phoenicia.

The Phoenician alphabet is derived from Egyptian hieroglyphs [4] and became one of the most widely used writing systems, spread by Phoenician merchants across the Mediterranean world, where it evolved and was assimilated by many other cultures. The Paleo-Hebrew alphabet was directly derived from Phoenician. Another derivative script is the Aramaic alphabet, which was the ancestor of the modern Arabic script. The Modern Hebrew script is a stylistic variant of the Aramaic script. The Greek alphabet (and by extension its descendants such as the Latin, the Cyrillic, and the Coptic) was also derived from Phoenician.

As the letters were originally incised with a stylus, most of the shapes are angular and straight, although more cursive versions are increasingly attested in later times, culminating in the Neo-Punic alphabet of Roman-era North Africa. Phoenician was usually written from right to left, although there are some texts written in boustrophedon.

In 2005, the UNESCO registered the Phoenician alphabet into the Memory of the World Programme as a heritage of Lebanon..."

en.wikipedia.org...

It is clear that the Phoenicians ethnically were not 'Hebrews' but were a separate group of city-states very indirectly related to them. It was the Hebrews who borrowed from the Phoenicians, not the other way around.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sigismundus

CAnt remember what they called them, water boat people? seapeople? cant remeber

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

edit on 2/8/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: NOPE. Got me once, shame on you. Got me twice - I'm out.

(post by kumiho removed for a manners violation)
(post by kumiho removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join