It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason I stopped posting on ATS

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish
Well said.

The guy with the drinking glass (Trubrit) is a class act.

Don't worry about killing threads. I've killed plenty lol. They eventually get started again. Zaphod58, a mod here, actually has a thread titles Thread Killers Anonymous.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Well said.

Don't worry about killing threads. I've killed plenty lol. They eventually get started again. Zaphod58, a mod here, actually has a thread titles Thread Killers Anonymous.

He's gassy from all that ale.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Well said.

MrsNospecific had exactly the same thing with thread killing.

It was only when I showed her Zaphod's thread that she was able to comment again.

She really did think that folks did not like her and she was ruining it for everyone...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
I had that feeling at first too. I really don't know how certain threads just die and others flourish. I'm sure somebody has an answer.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
For the sake of context, I'm going to repost something something I wrote from 2009, that is appropriate here...

Forum Fatigue

And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round...

ATS is not what it used to be - 2003
On ATS, Ignorance Is Winning - 2004, before he was a mod
Get rid of points system on ATS. - 2004
content going downhill??? - 2004
ATS selling out: Membership quantity over quality - 2005
"Deny Ignorance" and the ATS Conspiracy... - 2005
is ats being hached/subverted from within or ? - 2005

Some quick examples (from hundreds) of how "everyone complains about the weather, but no one ever does anything about it."

As you can see, the phenomenon you point out has been a part of our community for years. Not to diminish from some valid concerns, but I call much of this a phenomenon for a reason... I've seen it before, I'll see it again, and I fully expect never to stop seeing it.

Forum Fatigue

For the most part, I suspect what you are (mostly) experiencing is a valid phenomenon of the digital age, "forum fatigue." While you may not be aware of such a thing, and there's precious little written about it, it does exist. I've been managing online forums and groups since it was possible to do so... beginning with BBS groups in the slow dial-up days, moving to the largest CompuServe forum in the faster dial-up days, and onward to ATS. It's real. It happens every day. It will never not happen. It's human nature.

When you (or anyone) first join a new digital community, there tends to be four phases of involvement:

1) Exuberant participation due to an overwhelming amount of content on subjects that interest you.

2) Fitting into the flow as you have a solid comfort level with the community and its members.

3) Frustration as the lack of new interesting content that led to #1 begins to be hard to find.

4) Ongoing contribution to compensate for the perceived lack of interesting content.

Think about it... you come to ATS... are excited to find all this interesting content from so many different people... spend time soaking it all in... spend more time figuring out how to fit in... start to become comfortable in providing contributions... then, as you get your fill of topics, become frustrated over repeat topics... and more frustration as new users don't exemplify your own level of advanced "ATS sophistication"... and even more frustrated as your personal investment in time is subverted by what you perceive to be poor topics... brining us solidly into the third item above. The same happens on any forum/board/community of focused topics.

About 53% of members post anything... but less than 1% of those members (0.5% of all members) ever move past #3 and make an effort with #4.

Now, to be clear, I'm not attributing all of your concerns to "forum fatigue," only that it's a common phenomenon for users of our type of venue. There's always room for improvement, and we've been proactive in figuring out what needs to happen, but we also temper that with our collective experience (more than myself) in running big online communities.

==================================

And a related bit I also wrote from 2010: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you (and others) are feeling the threads are lacking of late... why not work on some good threads, instead of thread about the lack of good threads?

Also... there's a well-documented phenomena (we have at least three or four threads on the subject somewhere in here) about forum fatigue that has something to do with what you think you're seeing. The short version is something like:

(1) When you first encountered ATS, you were floored at all the content.

(2) You joined with excitement.

(3) You devoured threads and marveled at some of the topics and replies.

(4) You jumped in, excited to be a part of it.

(5) Over time, you've come to be very familiar with the topics.

(6) Over more time, you're seeing fewer "new" topics (because you've nearly seen it all)

(7) You post less because you're not seeing as much new information as when you first joined (when it was all new)

(8) You make a thread on how there's not so many good new threads any more, rather than make a good thread.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

If anyone knows more about what is right or wrong with Abovetopsecret.com, it's this man here, who has heard and seen it all.

What he says here is exactly what is happening with 99% of those who are unsatisfied with ATS current state.

Your bored. You've been through everything and most conspiracy have been covered more then enough times THOROUGHLY.

It's natural, it happens to all humans. We simply call it burn out.

Sports athletes burn out.

Presidents (except Obama) burn out.

Professionals of all occupations burn out.

Your local librarian burns the hell out.

Anyone spending hours on end for years reading forums and conspiracies, will get burned out.

As one clever member said.."leave and come back".

Things are more political here naturally as of late. Politics and war have been brewing up since pre-2012 scare.

And the presidential race is on going..........

As SO pointed out, these threads have always been around (talking of dissatisfaction or poor quality of the site) and always will be, like a man, he said it and accepts it.

So why don't you? Stop hating. Start making, quality threads again

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Looking for those wax lips . . .

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This is my 6th account, watch what You say about blacks and muslims, the PC mods are definitely watching. One in particular would follow me around on here.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Medicator
This is my 6th account, watch what You say about blacks and muslims, the PC mods are definitely watching. One in particular would follow me around on here.

Have you not read the T&C's?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Why would you do this other than for attention?

Here comes the 7th account?

At least keep quiet about it for a while no?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Why would you do this other than for attention?

Here comes the 7th account?

At least keep quiet about it for a while no?

OMG. Peed my pants.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
He's not the only one.
There's another user who hasn't admitted it outright, but is nearly as brazen.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
He's not the only one.
There's another user who hasn't admitted it outright, but is nearly as brazen.

It is understood that we/you can be banned and simply make another account and carry on regardless.

I may be overstepping the mark here but I recently had my posting rights removed due to my continuing arguments with certain other members.

It was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Without the ability to comment I was allowed to think about things without commenting. I could reflect on what was said and realise that my opinion was simply that.

An opinion.

I now feel that as I have the right to voice an opinion I will choose to make it worth expressing.

At no point did I feel the need to make another account and continue my tirade of abuse.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I noticed the change recently too. It used to have cool stuff, then one day it was full of political stuff. It was like someone politician bought it?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: reddragon2015

I noticed the change recently too. It used to have cool stuff, then one day it was full of political stuff. It was like someone politician bought it?

or its all due to it being election season. Think about it. Maybe its just what is on peoples minds.

Remember its mostly member generated content.

In a real way this thread and many like it are an auto criticism as well. Its the member base asking something of the member base. If you feel this way, add to the dialogue to make it reflect your ideal. Add what is missing. Work with what exists. It will balance itself out. The rules will work to that end.

edit on 2 8 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

ats is a cia operation, i just come here for news now, i did like ats as well, now its just sad

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Last year, you made a thread about Putin disappearing in Russia. Most people were running wild with speculation, and the staff were more than happy to post speculative updates about a potential coup on ATS' social media accounts. Older members, like Phage, cautioned against taking information at face value, but they were literally told to leave by members and staff alike. It's that type of behaviour which undermines ATS. Phage was a greatly respected member when i joined, and now he's met with hostile responses. Forum fatigue can explain some problems, but it can't explain the bull# i saw in that thread or the hundreds of subsequent ones like it.

The lack of quality content isn't the only factor which is harming ATS, in my opinion. It's also the membership's lack of proper decorum. It's also a lack of consistent moderation. It's not any one thing which can be completely attributed to forum fatigue.

Like i said, i've only been here for 4 and a half years. It's not a long time, but it's enough to see some changes in the website. There are problems we all have to fix together. It's not something which should be dismissed, as you often do.

You and the staff had a problem with the behaviour of members in the 9/11 forum. That behaviour permeates throughout the entire website now. If we can come together to fix the decorum problems of the website, perhaps it can entice members to start writing quality content again.
edit on 9-2-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
ATS was at one time like an island...... populated by artists.... As it drew interest, it became the place everybody wanted to be ...because of the ambiance. It filled, displacing the artists and turning it in to an island of tropical fish only...... narcissistic and shallow with nothing to really add to the community, just 'posing for stars'........

There are a few veteran members, but the numbers are dwindling. Will it turn around ? or descend into a mud-pit of hostility and personal agenda's ?

Let us truly hope another path is taken.

I'v been here five years, and have visited the site regularily, perhaps not every day, but I'd hazard a guess 10 hours a week.. The familiar avitars of old mostly intact, but some missing. I found them 'like minds' opponents and allies. A few are still seen. I travel less through the different topics, finding some only confrontational, and since that's their nature and to be expected..... I avoid them, I rarely open one. That in itself.... the changing demographics of our members has demonstrated changing interests, they too becoming selective.
edit on 9-2-2016 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Nobody comes here any more. It's too crowded.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I don't get the whole "posting for stars" thing. Seriously? Are people's egos that easily fed? Or deflated? How sad is that?

If it's stars and flags you're after, author some interesting threads, and make some substantive posts. That oughta do it.

ATS is like life. It waxes and wanes.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join