It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason I stopped posting on ATS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonaMonina
Well I am a new member, but only one my topic has been approved by administrators ??? Maybe I will leave soon.

Give it one more try. All the admin. are sleeping because they're hung over from the Superbowl party. There's nobody awake to turn down a thread you want to submit.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonaMonina
Well I am a new member, but only one my topic has been approved by administrators ??? Maybe I will leave soon.

When you joined, you received an email with the information below, and was presented with the information on the new account confirmation screen:

Introduce yourself to our community in the Introductions Forum, linked above. Until you have at least 20 posts in other topics, this is the only forum in which you'll be able to create new topics.

There is no "administration approval" of topics.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheVinylPollution
it's kinda like Ats without the slight whiff of mental illness.

I don't mind my hospital room, it's private, and the doctors say that I can go home on week-ends pretty soon if I don't refuse my medication.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Some of the reasons for threads being closed have become ridiculous. I've had a few posts removed leaving me scratching my head asking myself what was so offensive? I can understand having some kind of decorum and not personally attacking a poster. However, some post removals seem like they're removed based solely on a bias opinion of the moderator.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Do you not understand sarcasm.

Or the vomit emoticon.

Dear oh dear what a sad state of affairs.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Don't say it's "unfortunate that you have to agree with me", the entire purpose of this dance I'm doing on the edge of a sword is to hear what you have to say. And I know the people that make decisions for ATS are also reading your reply because it's important to them to understand contributors and consumers so they can form a profitable business model.

It was a calculated move starting this thread, but I think I failed to anticipate enough of the variables because ATS is like herding cats. They will choose their own direction, but can be gently guided, and I may have pushed too much. I honestly don't know where the line is drawn that I start offending people, but I've crossed it more than once in this thread.

I do want to thank you for your reply though. These are the points that need to be addressed, and you're not the first to bring the issues up. If you can, please post a new thread today on any topic so other members see an increase in activity.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

An alert is is subject to discussion by a group of moderators. It's been some years since I was staff, but you had to get consensus by a group of the mods referring to the t and c not just one moderator acting on their own. Never one lone ranger doing what their bias dictates. It may be you heard from the one staff member that removed your thread, but that staff member had to get group approval on the action.

One thing for sure that shows that they are flexible is that this ATS slugfests like this thread usually aren't permitted, but it has been left open and one of the owners has participated.

It should have been closed.

I'm not sure if I read it right. by ANX (nice to see you back btw) had a thread closed 10 years ago? And we are bitching about it now? I have better things to do with my day...laters.

edit on 8-2-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I have to admit a recent disappointment with the moderation. I reported a grotesque post and they let it go. I was very surprised since it was in extremely poor taste.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The only thing that has changed on ATS is the membership, not the rules.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Well than that means the problem is a group of mods then. That doesn't really do much to change the perceptions of the people in this thread. Like I said before the other day there was a window of 4 or more hours where no threads were posted. May have been longer. I was also viewing another site that had a plethora of new relevant content. The really sad part is I wouldn't mind cross posting except who wants to put forth the effort here when the "group" of mods you mention will remove it due to personal bias.

I will give an example. On other forums there is a lot of information going around pertaining to alleged homosexuality of Marco Rubio. Don't see much of that getting posted here. I wonder why? Because there is a soft censorship over such topics. They might not come out and state it but a certain clique is waiting in the wings to shut down anything critical of their lifestyle.

I used to think the whole "decorum" thing here at ATS was great and I do still in some ways but that is just a vague excuse for censorship. The other site I was on has an abundance of trolls but because of their rating system their threads get ignored. If people post immature crap , profanity, etc its quite amazing. The site doesn't grind to a halt and descend into anarchy. Instead the adults don't feed the trolls so to speak. As a matter of fact the the pretentiousness of the posters here gets a bit nauseating at times and as I stated before the system in place here for stars and flags is definitely feeding that problem. A bunch of the "usual suspects" that people are complaining about are only there for the stars and flags. They think they are getting some sort of validation while they take a subject way off topic into their personal pissing contest.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

It's not a hard formula to follow:
If you don't like the decorum T and C, go to another site that provides what you like. Don't ask ATS to bend to the will of 5 million individuals, what a ludicrous expectation. They set the T and C, and you follow them or not.

As for the staff they are exceptional and incredibly different people, you have liberals, conservatives, multicultural, atheists, devout, all from different walks of life, some may not like each other much, some may be great friends, but they can respect the t and c regardless of their own partisan beliefs, that should be applauded. Do you have any idea how much work they do voluntarily? to keep this site running and family friendly? Unappreciative tantrums from people who had a wrist slap is all I am reading. And yes I have had my arse whooped as recently as a month ago, it goes with the territory, I break the t and c I get a post removal, but again I understand I broke the t and c, and whether they are my friends or not they remove my post and warn me. Capiche?

if you don't want a moderated site that isn't family friendly, go to 4chan.
edit on 8-2-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I agree. What I've noticed as of late is a definite bias towards certain members, topics and political leanings. Mods seem to exist ad nauseuem in threads where any post contrary to the subject is often deleted or it's members post-banned.
I post here and there nowadays, but I certainly am not as active as I used to be many years ago.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

That is exactly what people are talking about. You wont listen to the users or change and the content is less frequent, lower quality, and regular posters are leaving to go to these other sites. I only commented here because I thought that the staff was open to improvement. You say " Go somewhere else then" that is what is happening.

Dont be so simplistic. Lack of heavy handed moderation and pc butthurt doesn't turn a site into 4chan. You would know that if you left your echo chamber.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yeah I have seen people come and go. I have noticed something though.

The long time contributors feel like they are owed something. Like they should get special consideration.

I used to be more productive here on past accounts. I stopped simply because I have found most of what I was looking for. I still look for advancements, but mostly I reserve my right to know and stay quiet.

People forget that this is a world community that has lasted over a decade already. It is not for any one person to decide what is a right direction or not for the site. Its not up to any one member or group of members.

This is a business that has stood the test of time. From a practical point of view, they have done fine not listening to you. So far they have grown, not gotten smaller as a site. They must be doing something right.

I dont miss people who leave. Not really. They got to a point that they felt slighted by the RULES. They forgot that as guests they had nothing to do but walk away as punishment. Punishment for having rules fall on them. Thats not someone I want around anyways.

If not a bored person with no life who contributes allot could dictate how a narrative to a subject goes because they spend more time filling web pages with their opinion. Its fair that they be treated like regular members like the rest of us. If they get upset, leave. If not work it out.

Its not like the many mods to this GROWING community are jerks. They explain their actions and give you a chance to say your peace. If you are a jerk even then,well, there is no way to rework your jerk stance. That is a dead end and people not willing to swallow pride end up upset. Then they leave or get banned when they forget they are always GUESTS.

Its not like you paid for your membership. You arent owed anything beyond consideration and respect. Which is allot.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Tell me what you want changed?

The membership has changed, not the T and C. It has remained the SAME

How do you want them to change the membership and what content topics they post? How do you think that is possibly within their control?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Ive only stated several times how an overhaul to the thread/post rating system would change things. See very simple. I know it works because Ive seen it in action in other places.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

It does appear that more people posting or starring agree with the OP than you. Maybe you should take some of the info provided by the members who have dared to offer constructive criticism and use it to improve the site?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

How do you want it overhauled? I'm confused, people in this thread are all complaining how much ATS has changed, and the solution from you to change the star and flag system that has been in place for a decade?

I'm up for a change, what do you suggest the overhaul should entail?

Do you acknowledge at least the staff do the best they can to fulfil the T and C, or do you think that should be changed also? Keep in mind, how do they satisfy the preference of millions of users? How would you create a T and C that does this? Would you create a rules-base for guests to adhere to or allow a system where individual t and c preference are always considered? and if you prefer the latter, how would you manage and implement that?

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I love ATS plain and simple. Been a member since 2009 I believe (I had another account but scratched and started with a user name I liked) and the growth has been unreal. With growth you are simply just going to have more opinions and more topics that people want to discuss. Also, don't get me wrong OP, one of the main reason I was drawn to ATS in the first place was because of the UFO, Bigfoot, Nibiru threads. I love those kind of things. But how long and how much can we go into depth on those subjects? There isn't anything new on them. Just need to adapt to change and if there is a topic you don't like or don't want to hear about then don't go in it. That's what I do

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join