It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The reason I stopped posting on ATS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:15 AM
The site has evolved along with the Internet. Social media, instant video, influx of information, blogger-written political pieces—it's the nature of the environment, and it has to adapt or fail.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:18 AM
I am going to add that there is a drop in content in general. There was a period of a few hours the other day without any new threads at all it seemed.

I don't mind the political stuff I find it important but it gets tiring to see the same cheer leaders in the same discussions. It is cliquish at this point and most of the time conversation turns into this pissing contest of empirical evidence. The stars system needs an overhaul as I think it feeds into this. Not all conversations have to revolve around empiricism however it helps any claims you make you want others to take as factual but for some reason that is what most discussions devolve into.

As far as moderation I think it has become somewhat better although I question a few things still. I don't think that a thread should be shut down because a few posters take it off topic. You have the ability to delete and ban individual posters and post so use it. "Closed for review" is a joke. For anti-establishment types you sure do enjoy employing their methods like the above euphemism/doublespeak. Lets not turn this into a Stanford Prison Experiment scenario

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:21 AM

originally posted by: mamabeth
Instead of complaining about the website maybe we all should spend more time
writing decent threads.

You first.

I've written decent threads in the past, as have many other people. We don't see it much anymore because most of those who were once respected and active no longer are, and many of the newer members aren't writing interesting material. Those who were respected and still active are now met with aggressive responses by some. I mean, what the hell is that? This isn't the community it was 4 years ago.

Rarely do we see a quality thread. Rarer still, do we see the community join together to accomplish something.

I would like to see this site improve. I really would, but i'm not prepared to waste time publishing material here for a community which no longer respects itself or others.
edit on 8-2-2016 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 12:25 AM
a reply to: anxietydisorder

I personally have noticed the rehash of previous posts, even by the same members who started them in the past, like the recent "penis bone" genesis of Eve thread. I'm sure that was posted before, just over a year ago. This time it got taken down for mod review.

But it could be me being temporally challenged and forgetting things I did tomorrow.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 02:04 AM
Why in the name of all that's holy and good would anyone want to make owl soup????

edit on 8-2-2016 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:05 AM

originally posted by: Raxoxane
Why in the name of all that's holy and good would anyone want to make owl soup????

Some people can't stand the bones...

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:08 AM

everything in moderation.... get it....ha ha ha ha

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:28 AM

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Tribal land, lots of owls, tradition, and it's easy meat you can get in the winter if you live in a boreal forest. Fishing nets don't only catch fish, especially when set between trees.

ScepticOverlord has already pointed out that hunting owls is illegal in the USA, but those laws don't transfer across borders to everyone that lives in Canada. And I'll bet you that there are Americans in Alaska eating the same, legally or not.

When you grow up in a forest you'd be surprised what's out there to eat. It's a natural garden of vegetation that happens to be full of free range game and fowl, plus a lot of places to fish. I know I ate a better diet growing up than you did.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:39 AM

Ya i know,i get that owl is EDIBLE. I revere owls though,cannot imagine eating one. I could'nt kill or cook one unless my children were starving and that owl was the very last edible thing for miles around. And even then it would sicken me. Just a personal thing,i find the very thought obscene

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 03:43 AM

Btw i'm glad you ate so well when you were growing up but i was just as fortunate. My adoptive father was a farm manager and even though we were financially poor we ate like royalty,only the best,freshest organic foods. All the fruit,vegetables,free-range chicken+eggs,lamb,beef,pork and from his family on the West Coast,fresh fish and seafood. My mother would prepare 2 different dinners many nights,especially on weekdays,wonderful healthy fresh produce of all kinds were always in abundance.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:02 AM
a reply to: Raxoxane

You were fortunate because not many people on this planet get to grow up eating such fresh and healthy food.

My mother had to feed her children without a grocery store full of pre-packaged cow parts, pig bits, and cut up chickens. Anything "store bought" equaled expensive because it had to come in on the boats or seaplane. So everything had a season, and you took what you could manage and store for the time ahead.

It's funny, but I remember the first time I had pop, and that was a rare treat. I shared a bottle of Mr. Pibb with my brothers, and it was like a liquid candy that bubbled when you tried to swallow it. That was nasty stuff, but after Pepsi was available I actually liked that.

Two different worlds, but not that far apart if you measure it on a map.

edit on 8/2/2016 by anxietydisorder because: She types faster than me.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:07 AM
I've got enough problems in my own life without taking on the worries of the myriad of problems facing the world at the moment. I'm certainly not enjoying my time here at the moment. I used to come to ATS for a distraction to my personal worries, now it seems like I'm expected to worry about the perceived worries of other problems way out of my control. Things that I don't really care about or in reality have very little to no effect on my life and are not worth my emotional investment. Certainly not worth getting worked up over.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:52 AM

OK, i have read all 5 pages (so far) before responding.

I can't say what i want to say due to rules and also frustration, but i do agree with the OP

Just Saying

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 04:59 AM

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I've got enough problems in my own life without taking on the worries of the myriad of problems facing the world at the moment. I'm certainly not enjoying my time here at the moment.

I'm really liking your avatar, but have you heard the owl call your name?

You might need to reference that, but you sound a little down. This thread wasn't intended to bring the weight of the world down on you, and if other sources of information are causing you distress, stop. Go for a walk, immerse yourself in a book, gather with people you're close to, and have sex frequently with someone else, or solo.

You've been around the ATS boards for a while, so throw me a bone on a simple request.

Put a recipe in "Cooking", or tell us what is really on your mind in a "Rant". I know you have stuff to contribute in a new thread, and it could be Martians or mollusks. Just do that one thing for me today, starting an original thread on any topic and see if it goes anywhere. If it falls flat, start another, and again until you get a bunch of replies.

The only reason I'm still drinking coffee by my keyboard this morning is to try to convince more people to contribute to ATS. Unpaid slave labour, but in hope that someone like you can initiate a thread that evokes something in people that makes them want to talk about what you post.

I'll even give you a meaningless internet point if you give it a shot, not that you need anymore.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 05:31 AM
a reply to: anxietydisorder all this talk of owl soup scared my avatar.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:05 AM
I got on board six years ago after lurking for about a year. I finally joined to post a topic I thought was very important esp. to people in my home state. At least one mod thought is was great enough to give me an award the first time out. But it seems that important issues get very little responses here.

My early interest in ATS was it's X File like content and the strict rules on civil discussion. But even back then, regardless if I made important posts or if others had made them, I noticed that very few members commented or gave stars and flags. It was the fluff threads that seemed to get the most responses here, esp. lately.

Another thing I've noticed that seems to get worse over the years is the way some members push their personal agendas in almost every post that even has the slighted relation to their pet peeves. There are certain topics that attract these harpies and they always use them to push their agendas or to prove their superiority over the original poster or anyone with a differing opinion. Many of these harpies posts relate to religious, political or scientific topics. Some posters believe that certain forums are theirs alone and they try to push out others that don't follow their line of reasoning. I'd call this type the board bullies.

Then there is some controversies surrounding ATS itself and you will never hear about that here. I personally don't trust posting anything on ATS anymore esp. if it is controversial. Believe me there is plenty of evidence to no longer trust posting anything on ATS, you just have to go find it yourself somewhere else. ATS is a lot like Facebook if you know what I mean.

I do my original posting on another website now and have gone over to the "other side" where ATS refugees are welcomed. Of course mentioning that website is impossible here even in a personal message as it is censored like a number of other websites are. Thank goodness someone here shared their email address with me so I could go and join up with the other refugees.
edit on 8-2-2016 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:26 AM
I am sorry if I don't seem to be taking the OP real seriously.... but, I'm not.

On every site/forum I have ever gotten into, there are old timers whining and bitching about how it is not like it used to be, it has changed, and it was so much better before.

Soon the group that started at the same time as I become the old timers and are doing that, while a new wave has come in.

Frankly, that is just how it is in life everywhere. There are some that get stuck in their habits and rehash the past relentlessly, rejecting the present form of things... and there are others that just change and discover what's now with relish.

I've got a few friends who feel young and rebellious while they listen to Black Flag and Social Distortion still, disgusted by my Die Antwoord videos. Well hell, each generation chooses it's way to distinguish itself from the elderly and shock them. You can be elderly and shocked- the world needs a bit of everything. But a bit of perspective eases some of that- what was important to YOU or your friends is not more important in any objective universal or static way. The world continues to turn, and it is a big place.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 06:43 AM
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Please don't think I'm blind to the controversy surrounding this site. I've been around long enough to scrutinize it outside the forums, and I believe a lot of that as much as I believe a lot of posts of the posts that come from within. Without proof, it's still a coin toss.

I still think there is value here, and I wouldn't have started such a controversial thread that fired a bow shot at the owners and moderators if I didn't think the ship was worth saving. I want this corner of the web to survive because it's a massive warehouse of information accumulated over many years.

Even though I understand some members feel uncomfortable posting on certain subjects, I'd like you to find something for today. Tell me about a dream you had, did you see a UFO years ago, or let us know if you've had a bad feeling about some impending earthquake. I don't care what you want to talk about, but please start a thread today to give the rest of us something to talk about.

ATS needs an injection of fresh ideas to give it a kick in the pants. So do me the favour and throw something new at it today. It's not a lot to ask because you've already formulated an idea while reading this, so throw it out there as a new thread so we can read it.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:16 AM
a reply to: Bluesma

And you just got another star from this "old timer whining and bitching about how it is not like it used to be".

I wanted your opinion, and you stated it in a clear and concise manner. The entire point of my night on this thread has been to evoke a response from the members and encourage more participation. Each reply gives me, and hopefully others, a perspective on ATS they may not have considered before.

posted on Feb, 8 2016 @ 07:30 AM
Well I am a new member, but only one my topic has been approved by administrators ??? Maybe I will leave soon.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>